• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Racine Technical College (Gateway) Has Already Posted... No Firearms

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

TyGuy

Please forgive my ignorance, but is it illegal to enter somewhere that is posted, or it merely frowned upon?

For example, I was down in Missouri and businesses can post, but it's not illegal to ignore the posting and enter. Of course if you are asked to leave and refuse then it's trespassing, but merely disobeying the sign is not itself illegal.

Is that the case in WI, or is it illegal to disobey the sign?

Outdoorsman1

IANAL, so I could be wrong, but I would think intentionally entering a posted facility would be breaking the law. I suppose you could always say that you did not see the sign....

Outdoorsman1

Interceptor_Knight

It IS "illegal" to ignore the sign and enter so long as the sign meets the minimum Statutory requirements. What you may be charged with is trespassing which is a Class B forfeiture. It is irrelevant whether or not you saw the sign so long as it meets the posting requirements.
(bm) 1. In this paragraph, “sign” means a sign that states a
restriction imposed under subd. 2. that is at least 5 inches by 7
inches.

am. For the purposes of sub. (1m) (c) 2., 4., and 5., an owner
or occupant of a part of a nonresidential building, the state or a
local governmental unit, or a university or a college has notified
an individual not to enter or remain in a part of the building while
carrying a firearm or with a particular type of firearm if the owner,
occupant, state, local governmental unit, university, or college has
posted a sign that is located in a prominent place near all of the
entrances to the part of the building to which the restriction applies
and any individual entering the building can be reasonably
expected to see the sign

2. While carrying a firearm, enters..any part of
a nonresidential building..after the owner of the
building..has notified the actor not to
enter or remain in that part of the building..while
carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm.

Last edited:

xd40 neenah

FVTC in Appleton will be/ is posted. I had talked to the the director of security. Interestingly enough, their lawyers say there is no liability if they post. I guess we will have to wait until the first unfortunate situation occurs and a judge and jury decide.

protias

FVTC in Appleton will be/ is posted. I had talked to the the director of security. Interestingly enough, their lawyers say there is no liability if they post. I guess we will have to wait until the first unfortunate situation occurs and a judge and jury decide.

Show them the law.

paul@paul-fisher.com

They are right.

There is a fine distinction between increased liability and diminished immunity. To be completely correct, we need to tell people that they will enjoy less immunity.

175.60(21) (b) for normal posting, 175.60(21) (c) for employer/employee posting.

BROKENSPROKET

Please forgive my ignorance, but is it illegal to enter somewhere that is posted, or it merely frowned upon?

For example, I was down in Missouri and businesses can post, but it's not illegal to ignore the posting and enter. Of course if you are asked to leave and refuse then it's trespassing, but merely disobeying the sign is not itself illegal.

Is that the case in WI, or is it illegal to disobey the sign?

That is the way it is in Minnesota as well. Not in Wisconsin. If you ignore the sign, you are guilty of a Class B forteture, $1,000.00.

xd40 neenah

Show them the law.

He assured me that their team of lawyers and himself had read the law. He knew the big picture including weapons in vehicles and the posting at every entrance. I will be at the college every tuesday night and will be looking for the signs. Maybe they will miss an entrance?