Thread: Lost CHP how to get another?

delete

nvm he found it...
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 10-21-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: found it
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    nvm he found it...
    Fine then, nevermind as well
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-21-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

from http://www.jccegov.com/courts/concealed-gun.html

Lost Permit Card:

If you lose your permit card, you must complete a Request for Duplicate Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun form. The form is signed, under oath verifying that you are still eligible to carry a concealed handgun.

This form may be obtained from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office
    There is a fee for this but the fee seems to be different according to which county you're in. This example of James City quotes $14, Prince William says $5.
    Last edited by scouser; 10-21-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: nvm .. I'll leave the information here in case anyone wants it

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    from http://www.jccegov.com/courts/concealed-gun.html

There is a fee for this but the fee seems to be different according to which county you're in. This example of James City quotes $14, Prince William says $5.
    Thank you for future info.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?

::sigh::

According to 18.2-308:

K2. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon submission of a notarized statement by the permit holder that the permit was lost or destroyed, issue a replacement permit. The replacement permit shall have the same expiration date as the permit that was lost or destroyed. The clerk shall issue the replacement permit within 10 business days of receiving the notarized statement, and may charge a fee not to exceed $5.
    Sounds like someone needs to drop an e-mail or two to James City...

TFred

What about a CHP that has a typo on it?

Before leaving the house, I habitually check my wallet for three things: 1) my driver's license, 2) my CHP, and 3) my VCDL membership card (shameless plug).

I just realized that the Clerk of the Court misspelled my middle name in what looks to be a minor case of dyslexia. "Sunffy" instead of "Snuffy".

Should I go out of my way and disarm, go to the Clerk, and ask for a new one? Or may I carry one since it's obvious what the spelling should have been since the correct spelling is on my DL. I hardly bother with CC, but winter is approaching and the mercury is dipping lower and lower.
    As Steve Lee says, "I like guns," and have no plans to get rid of them. My kids will be taught, as I was, about gun safety.

Life is good.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmdr_Haggis View Post
    What about a CHP that has a typo on it?

Before leaving the house, I habitually check my wallet for three things: 1) my driver's license, 2) my CHP, and 3) my VCDL membership card (shameless plug).

I just realized that the Clerk of the Court misspelled my middle name in what looks to be a minor case of dyslexia. "Sunffy" instead of "Snuffy".

Should I go out of my way and disarm, go to the Clerk, and ask for a new one? Or may I carry one since it's obvious what the spelling should have been since the correct spelling is on my DL. I hardly bother with CC, but winter is approaching and the mercury is dipping lower and lower.
    The error is theirs - they should fix it at no charge. The Clerk is responsible for issuing a CHP to you with the required information entered correctly.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The better question is how did you end up with the middle name Snuffy?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Thank you for asking what all the rest of us wanted to.

BTW, I'd bet not 1 in a hundred LEOs would ever notice the discrepancy between your photo ID name and your CHP name. It's one of those errors that your brain self-corrects for in general use. You've seen those tests in the viral e-mails: "f u c rd ths msg u cn bkm a scy n mk gd mny." I think unless your brain is in "proof-read" mode, it sees what it wants to see, despite the small error.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd
    Thank you for asking what all the rest of us wanted to.

BTW, I'd bet not 1 in a hundred LEOs would ever notice the discrepancy between your photo ID name and your CHP name. It's one of those errors that your brain self-corrects for in general use. You've seen those tests in the viral e-mails: "f u c rd ths msg u cn bkm a scy n mk gd mny." I think unless your brain is in "proof-read" mode, it sees what it wants to see, despite the small error.

TFred
    My parents named me "Joe Snuffy Smith". They wear tin-foil hats and knew the value of naming me very generically. They are very private people and don't like big government intrusions. One day a census taker tried to test them, but he ran for the hills when they pulled out a can of fava beans and a bottle of Chianti.

I think TFred's assessment is how I missed the typo for so long. It just didn't register as incorrect.
    Last edited by Cmdr_Haggis; 10-22-2011 at 10:59 PM.
    As Steve Lee says, "I like guns," and have no plans to get rid of them. My kids will be taught, as I was, about gun safety.

Life is good.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    My parents named me "Joe Snuffy Smith". They wear tin-foil hats and knew the value of naming me very generically. They are very private people and don't like big government intrusions. One day a census taker tried to test them, but he ran for the hills when they pulled out a can of fava beans and a bottle of Chianti.

I think TFred's assessment is how I missed the typo for so long. It just didn't register as incorrect.
    I once knew a guy and his middle name was "Fat Albert". Even had it on his DL. I kid you not.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Even had it on his DL. I kid you not.
    Lol " I kid you not" thanks for that.