• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lost CHP how to get another?

scouser

from http://www.jccegov.com/courts/concealed-gun.html

Lost Permit Card:

If you lose your permit card, you must complete a Request for Duplicate Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun form. The form is signed, under oath verifying that you are still eligible to carry a concealed handgun.

This form may be obtained from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office

There is a fee for this but the fee seems to be different according to which county you're in. This example of James City quotes $14, Prince William says $5.

Last edited:

TFred

::sigh::

According to 18.2-308:

K2. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon submission of a notarized statement by the permit holder that the permit was lost or destroyed, issue a replacement permit. The replacement permit shall have the same expiration date as the permit that was lost or destroyed. The clerk shall issue the replacement permit within 10 business days of receiving the notarized statement, and may charge a fee not to exceed $5.

Sounds like someone needs to drop an e-mail or two to James City...

TFred

Cmdr_Haggis

What about a CHP that has a typo on it?

Before leaving the house, I habitually check my wallet for three things: 1) my driver's license, 2) my CHP, and 3) my VCDL membership card (shameless plug). :cool:

I just realized that the Clerk of the Court misspelled my middle name in what looks to be a minor case of dyslexia. "Sunffy" instead of "Snuffy".

Should I go out of my way and disarm, go to the Clerk, and ask for a new one? Or may I carry one since it's obvious what the spelling should have been since the correct spelling is on my DL. I hardly bother with CC, but winter is approaching and the mercury is dipping lower and lower.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What about a CHP that has a typo on it?

Before leaving the house, I habitually check my wallet for three things: 1) my driver's license, 2) my CHP, and 3) my VCDL membership card (shameless plug). :cool:

I just realized that the Clerk of the Court misspelled my middle name in what looks to be a minor case of dyslexia. "Sunffy" instead of "Snuffy".

Should I go out of my way and disarm, go to the Clerk, and ask for a new one? Or may I carry one since it's obvious what the spelling should have been since the correct spelling is on my DL. I hardly bother with CC, but winter is approaching and the mercury is dipping lower and lower.

The error is theirs - they should fix it at no charge. The Clerk is responsible for issuing a CHP to you with the required information entered correctly.

TFred

The better question is how did you end up with the middle name Snuffy?
Thank you for asking what all the rest of us wanted to. ;)

BTW, I'd bet not 1 in a hundred LEOs would ever notice the discrepancy between your photo ID name and your CHP name. It's one of those errors that your brain self-corrects for in general use. You've seen those tests in the viral e-mails: "f u c rd ths msg u cn bkm a scy n mk gd mny." I think unless your brain is in "proof-read" mode, it sees what it wants to see, despite the small error.

TFred

Cmdr_Haggis

thebigsd said:
The better question is how did you end up with the middle name Snuffy?
Thank you for asking what all the rest of us wanted to. ;)

BTW, I'd bet not 1 in a hundred LEOs would ever notice the discrepancy between your photo ID name and your CHP name. It's one of those errors that your brain self-corrects for in general use. You've seen those tests in the viral e-mails: "f u c rd ths msg u cn bkm a scy n mk gd mny." I think unless your brain is in "proof-read" mode, it sees what it wants to see, despite the small error.

TFred

My parents named me "Joe Snuffy Smith". They wear tin-foil hats and knew the value of naming me very generically. They are very private people and don't like big government intrusions. One day a census taker tried to test them, but he ran for the hills when they pulled out a can of fava beans and a bottle of Chianti.

:)

I think TFred's assessment is how I missed the typo for so long. It just didn't register as incorrect.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
My parents named me "Joe Snuffy Smith". They wear tin-foil hats and knew the value of naming me very generically. They are very private people and don't like big government intrusions. One day a census taker tried to test them, but he ran for the hills when they pulled out a can of fava beans and a bottle of Chianti.

:)

I think TFred's assessment is how I missed the typo for so long. It just didn't register as incorrect.

I once knew a guy and his middle name was "Fat Albert". Even had it on his DL. I kid you not.