• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michelle Obama and the SCotUS

Cmdr_Haggis

My search-fu isn't that great, so I hope this hasn't already been posted. I thought I'd post it since it's a real eye-opener for anyone who is pro-Constitution.

Chris Cox said:
Michelle Obama said:
...let’s not forget what it meant when my husband appointed those two brilliant Supreme Court justices … let’s not forget the impact that their decisions will have on our lives for decades to come.
Currently, the Second Amendment clings to a 5-4 pro-freedom majority on the Supreme Court. Just one vote is all that stands between the America our Founding Fathers established and a radically different America that Barack Obama and his supporters envision.

If you want to read something scary, take another look at the minority opinions in the Supreme Court’s landmark Heller and McDonald decisions that struck down Washington, D.C.’s and Chicago’s unconstitutional gun bans. In the Heller dissent, four justices concluded that the Second Amendment does not guarantee an individual right to own a firearm, nor does it protect our right to defend ourselves, our families, or our property. In McDonald, the same four justices argued that the 5-4 Heller decision should be reversed.

If these four justices had just one more vote on their side, their opinion — that the Second Amendment should not exist in today’s modern society — would be the law of the land today. And assuredly, the anti-gun activist wing of the court knows how close they are to gaining the upper hand. As Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg told a Harvard Club audience in 2009, she looks forward to the day when a “future, wiser court” overturns 5-4 decisions like Heller.
Read the entire article here.

We've come so far and yet we still stand on the edge of a knife. :eek:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My search-fu isn't that great, so I hope this hasn't already been posted. I thought I'd post it since it's a real eye-opener for anyone who is pro-Constitution.

We've come so far and yet we still stand on the edge of a knife. :eek:

Been there ever since SCOTUS was created. That's not the point. The point is that in spite of continually living on the razor's edge we have as a country managed not to fall over onto the wrong side.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It is very scary to think about how different our country would be with just 1 different opinion.

You mean if there were more 6-3 decisions? Why, we'd have liberals jumping off their lofty ideals all over the place. It's be worse that the Wall Street collapse of 1929!*

stay safe.

* please note - no sarcasm intended, nor should any be implied.

since9

Campaign Veteran
You mean if there were more 6-3 decisions? Why, we'd have liberals jumping off their lofty ideals all over the place.

I'd salute them all the way to the pavement!

From the OP: "f you want to read something scary, take another look at the minority opinions in the Supreme Court’s landmark Heller and McDonald decisions that struck down Washington, D.C.’s and Chicago’s unconstitutional gun bans. In the Heller dissent, four justices concluded that the Second Amendment does not guarantee an individual right to own a firearm, nor does it protect our right to defend ourselves, our families, or our property. In McDonald, the same four justices argued that the 5-4 Heller decision should be reversed."

Do we know who these 4 dissenting anti-Constitutional turncoats are? I'd like to send them a copy of several hundred quotes I've been collecting. I'd send the same to the other pro-freedom justices to help ensure the 4 turncoats never break through.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Haggis

Do we know who these 4 dissenting anti-Constitutional turncoats are? I'd like to send them a copy of several hundred quotes I've been collecting. I'd send the same to the other pro-freedom justices to help ensure the 4 turncoats never break through.

From Oyez, Justices Stevens, Souter, Ginsburg, and Breyer.

Question

Whether provisions of the D.C. Code generally barring the registration of handguns, prohibiting carrying a pistol without a license, and requiring all lawful firearms to be kept unloaded and either disassembled or trigger locked violate the Second Amendment rights of individuals who are not affiliated with any state-regulated militia, but who wish to keep handguns and other firearms for private use in their homes?

Conclusion
Decision: 5 votes for Heller, 4 vote(s) against
Legal provision: Amendment 2

Yes. In a 5-4 decision, the Court held that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self- defense within the home. The Court based its holding on the text of the Second Amendment, as well as applicable language in state constitutions adopted soon after the Second Amendment. Justice Antonin Scalia delivered the opinion of the Court. Justices John Paul Stevens and Stephen Breyer filed dissenting opinions, each joined by the other as well as Justices David Souter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Justice Stevens argued that the Second Amendment only protects the rights of individuals to bear arms as part of a well-regulated state militia, not for other purposes even if they are lawful. Justice Breyer agreed with Stevens' argument but also stated that even if possession were to be allowed for other reasons, any law regulating the use of firearms would have to be "unreasonable or inappropriate" to violate the Second Amendment. In Breyer's view, the D.C. laws at issue in this case were both reasonable and appropriate. (emphasis mine)

since9

Campaign Veteran
Well, that's what the 2nd says, "well-regulated militia." Since the dissenting opinion is pinning it on that point, let 'em. It's important to keep in mind the meaning of "well-regulated militia" was thoroughly explored by Congressional Committee back in 1982:

The Right to Keep and Bear Arms
of the
SUBCOMMITTEE ON THE CONSTITUTION
of the
UNITED STATES SENATE
NINETY-SEVENTH CONGRESS
Second Session
February 1982​

"These commentators contend instead that the amendment's preamble regarding the necessity of a "well regulated militia . . . to a free state" means that the right to keep and bear arms applies only to a National Guard. Such a reading fails to note that the Framers used the term "militia" to relate to every citizen capable of bearing arms, and that the Congress has established the present National Guard under its own power to raise armies, expressly stating that it was not doing so under its power to organize and arm the militia."

The document contains a significant number of additional references from the founding fathers clearly indicated we are that militia, that every man, boy, woman, girl, middle-aged, old, and young alike i.e. We the People are our own militia. This was the intent of the framers. This was clearly reflected in the states' constitutions. This is what was decided in earlier Supreme Court cases. The only thing that has changed it the distance of time, and the increasing lengths to which antis of all kinds, including those currently on SCOTUS, will go to twist and distort the truths upon which our country, her Constitution, her Bill of Rights, and the Second Amendment was founded.

I'm attaching the Congressional Report for everyone's convenience. :) (hopefully)

Attachments

• RKBA - 1982 Congressional Report.pdf
    188 KB · Views: 111
Last edited: