• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Manito Park OC

fhsantos

Took the dogs out like we usually do, had my Glock on my strong side do normal things we ALWAYS do. Decided to walk them around the park for a little bit because the weather wasn't too bad. As always kids walked right up to the dogs & wanted to play with them, parents were having conversations with me no big deal. Came across a groundskeeper who stepped in my way & informed me I had to leave the park, I asked why is that. He informed me that there is an RCW in place stating that firearms are not allowed in the park, I informed him I had seen no signs stating that this was true. He told me the signs were stolen but the RCW is in place, also informed him we had an OC event here the month before & he said what we all did was illegal & if we had informed them that we were going to be hosting an OC event we wouldn't have gotten the gazebo. I told him that he was misinformed & I would be contacting a park official with correct information on the laws.

Unfortunately I did have to leave, not because of the encounter or anything like that. But because my dogs had noticed my rise in blood pressure & both began to get ready to protect me. So I'm not an RCW guru by far, so I kinda need assistance one what RCW I need to state in my email to a park official. Any help would be appreciated.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
So I'm not an RCW guru by far, so I kinda need assistance one what RCW I need to state in my email to a park official.

The groundskeeper was misinformed, did you get his name? I would contact the parks department for which owns the park (city, county, etc) and request an informational memo be sent to parks employees regarding the subject of firearms in parks.

You won't find an RCW stating that carry in parks is legal since RCW's exists to make things illegal. The fact that an RCW does not exist makes it legal. One of the RCWs to call out in the letter would be 9.41.290, which details state preemption for all items related to firearms. Essentially, it makes it so local maniciples can not enact laws that are more restrictive than state law.

Most of the firearm related laws are in RCW Chapter 9 Section 41, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.

fhsantos

I did get his name, I will be sending several emails out to Spokane Parks & Recreation. I'm more interested in having these employees learn than to be punished for being misinformed by an ignorant employer.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Have your parks people contact the Lacey City Attorney. The parks in Lacey have no weapons on their signs. I contacted them about state pre-emption and they immediately changed the rules. Here's his info:

Kenneth R. Ahlf
City Attorney
(360) 491-1802

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Have your parks people contact the Lacey City Attorney. The parks in Lacey have no weapons on their signs. I contacted them about state pre-emption and they immediately changed the rules. Here's his info:

Kenneth R. Ahlf
City Attorney
(360) 491-1802

Like you I thought this was a local park. We have a Manito Park in Tacoma as well.

I would contact the Parks department and ask why their groundskeeper is asking lawful patrons to leave.

fhsantos

I've sent a total of 8 emails to severcal different park directors, I'll keep you updated on what goes on. I'll blame this guy for not being educated, but the employer should've been the one to educate him. A couple months back I was also not aware oc was legal, things change. But you gotta teach em for them to know.

amlevin

I'll blame this guy for not being educated, but the employer should've been the one to educate him.

How much education do you think a "grounds keeper" in a City Park needs?? How much is needed to mow lawn, rake leaves, pick up dog crap, etc?

The only thing that would help is for someone to educate him that his "uniform" doesn't make him a "Cop".

fhsantos

As a grounds keeper I'm sure it is a part of his job to help enforce park regulations. Cop or not, if he were in the right he would have the right to tell me to leave. He's wrong but he sure as hell doesn't know it. I'm sure you've done jobs in the past you're not exactly proud of, I'm not one to sit here & watch another grown man bash another. You'll never win the battle acting like a kid.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
As a grounds keeper I'm sure it is a part of his job to help enforce park regulations. Cop or not, if he were in the right he would have the right to tell me to leave. He's wrong but he sure as hell doesn't know it. I'm sure you've done jobs in the past you're not exactly proud of, I'm not one to sit here & watch another grown man bash another. You'll never win the battle acting like a kid.

No.

He is not an enforcement officer of the park. Can you cite where he is responsible for enforcement?

fhsantos

Can you cite where he's not? Act like a child I'll give you a child answer. Being negative towards those whom think they are doing right only loses the OC battle. I have more good experiences than I do negative.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
No.

He is not an enforcement officer of the park. Can you cite where he is responsible for enforcement?

Can you cite where he's not? Act like a child I'll give you a child answer. Being negative towards those whom think they are doing right only loses the OC battle. I have more good experiences than I do negative.

1st, it's factually impossible to cite something that is not. So the ball is back in your court, please cite where a 'groundskeeper' is responsible for enforcement?

How am I acting like a child? How am I being negative. Did I say you were not doing the right thing? No, I did not. Please do not call me names or try to say I did things I did not.

I am simply trying to show you that you will not be able to cite something because it does not exist and therefore, the 'groundskeeper' over stepped his responsibilities within his job description for the city or county.

You are correct in asking for help with the RCW to follow up with the local park district, which would be under the jurisdiction of the city or county. The specific RCW is 9.41.290 which gives ONLY the State of Washington the right to regulate firearms possession.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

amzbrady

You seem to be the only one having problems in parks lately. Are you goofy looking or something? I love not having any problems while walking around parks. If I had your problem I would just ignore the worker. He is only wasting your time. Act like he is not even there. Or better yet offer him your cell phone to call his boss or the police.

Last edited:

amlevin

As a grounds keeper I'm sure it is a part of his job to help enforce park regulations.

Having done work like this in the distant past, as well as having hired people to do similar work, it is very likely that he has been told to "Report" any infractions and to avoid any confrontations with park visitors. Unfortunately, some people, when put in a uniform often feel empowered way beyond their authority or ability (intelligence).

Also, anyone who carries a firearm would be well served if they took time to read RCW 9.41 in its entirety. The Statute is not that long and it covers pretty much all aspects of carrying a firearm in Washington.

If YOU had, you would have clearly know that the State has preempted ALL local regulation of firearms (with only specific exceptions).

If you haven't read it yet, it might be a good idea. Can help one avoid situations far more serious than the one you encountered.