Thread: Armed robber shot and killed in Mpls by permit carrier

Armed robber shot and killed in Mpls by permit carrier

http://www.startribune.com/local/min...132311553.html

Sounds like the armed carrier chased the thug down....

Thoughts on legality?

In the middle of a pistolwhip if you're trying to stop him and he points at you, sure. Chase him down, even if he points it at you almost seems like the carrier is looking to escalate by chasing, then even if it's pointed at him and he shoots, is he justified??

Looks to be a lively discussion.....

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    depends on what the shooter saw.

i could see it easily for myself to see a woman get her purse snatched in a dark parkinglot, be struck by the assailant , who then flees. i would give chase. just in my nature. and if a weapon was presented towards me i would not hesitate to fire.

however if i saw a armed robbery and a suspect fleeing. i certainly would not chase. for a purse......now if he had taken a person, a child............i would give chase ready to fire.

really depends on what the shooter percieved to be happening at the given time.

its easy to see a simple crime, try to help and end up in a deadly situation............but the question is........did the shooter know he was armed when he gave chase? if so that is kind of like asking for a violent confrontation.
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Officers responded and found Evanovich mortally wounded. Then they were approached by another man outside the grocery store who said he witnessed the robbery, chased Evanovich behind the restaurant and shot him during a confrontation. The man then directed officers to the weapon.Police found that weapon and another handgun believed to belong to Evanovich near where the shooting occurred.
    Why was the shooter's waepon left at the scene while the shooter was elsewhere? Why would the shooter leave the BG's weapon unsecured? There is just too much stupidity involved here to be contemplated without the use of massive quantities of duct tape.

And, if Evanovich "then escalated by pointing and/or shooting at the good Samaritan, the good Samaritan would have been completely justified in shooting," Rothman said.
    There is a difference between self defense and citizen's arrest. Need to research the state law/case law on that to see if use of deadly force might be allowed. the Good Samaritan also needs to decide which crime he was dealing with when he attempted his citizen's arrest because one might not allow the ise of deadly force while the other one may. If he has not lawyered up yet he needs to.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Andrew Rothman, a Twin Cities firearms trainer and vice president of the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance, said Friday that if the events unfolded as the armed citizen described, "the permit holder acted appropriately. Chasing the mugger to recover the purse or to effect a citizen's arrest is permitted by law."

And, if Evanovich "then escalated by pointing and/or shooting at the good Samaritan, the good Samaritan would have been completely justified in shooting," Rothman said.
    Lets hope that the latter sentence is what had happened.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!