• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed robber shot and killed in Mpls by permit carrier

armedwalleye

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/132311553.html

Sounds like the armed carrier chased the thug down....

Thoughts on legality?

In the middle of a pistolwhip if you're trying to stop him and he points at you, sure. Chase him down, even if he points it at you almost seems like the carrier is looking to escalate by chasing, then even if it's pointed at him and he shoots, is he justified??

Looks to be a lively discussion.....

carry for myself

depends on what the shooter saw.

i could see it easily for myself to see a woman get her purse snatched in a dark parkinglot, be struck by the assailant , who then flees. i would give chase. just in my nature. and if a weapon was presented towards me i would not hesitate to fire.

however if i saw a armed robbery and a suspect fleeing. i certainly would not chase. for a purse......now if he had taken a person, a child............i would give chase ready to fire.

really depends on what the shooter percieved to be happening at the given time.

its easy to see a simple crime, try to help and end up in a deadly situation............but the question is........did the shooter know he was armed when he gave chase? if so that is kind of like asking for a violent confrontation.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Officers responded and found Evanovich mortally wounded. Then they were approached by another man outside the grocery store who said he witnessed the robbery, chased Evanovich behind the restaurant and shot him during a confrontation. The man then directed officers to the weapon.Police found that weapon and another handgun believed to belong to Evanovich near where the shooting occurred.

Why was the shooter's waepon left at the scene while the shooter was elsewhere? Why would the shooter leave the BG's weapon unsecured? There is just too much stupidity involved here to be contemplated without the use of massive quantities of duct tape.

And, if Evanovich "then escalated by pointing and/or shooting at the good Samaritan, the good Samaritan would have been completely justified in shooting," Rothman said.

There is a difference between self defense and citizen's arrest. Need to research the state law/case law on that to see if use of deadly force might be allowed. the Good Samaritan also needs to decide which crime he was dealing with when he attempted his citizen's arrest because one might not allow the ise of deadly force while the other one may. If he has not lawyered up yet he needs to.

stay safe.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Andrew Rothman, a Twin Cities firearms trainer and vice president of the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance, said Friday that if the events unfolded as the armed citizen described, "the permit holder acted appropriately. Chasing the mugger to recover the purse or to effect a citizen's arrest is permitted by law."

And, if Evanovich "then escalated by pointing and/or shooting at the good Samaritan, the good Samaritan would have been completely justified in shooting," Rothman said.

Lets hope that the latter sentence is what had happened.