• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HR-2900: A better alternative to HR-822

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
GoaLogoEmail.png
Gun Owners of America

House Committee to vote on CCW Reciprocity Soon!

The House Judiciary Committee will soon be voting on legislation that will guarantee the right of citizens to carry firearms out-of-state. And the vote could come as early as today or tomorrow!

GOA has alerted you to H.R. 822 -- introduced by Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-FL) -- and explained the weaknesses in his bill. Many of you have taken action on our alerts and informed your Representative that there is a better approach.

That approach has been championed by Rep. Paul Broun of Georgia, the author of H.R. 2900 -- or the Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement (SAFE) Act. The Broun bill has several advantages:

1. It would allow residents of California, New Jersey and other “may issue” states to get out-of-state carry permits (say, from Florida or Utah) and carry in their home states -- an benefit they would not enjoy under the Stearns’ bill;
  1. Broun also protects the right of gun owners in non-permit states like Vermont and allows them to carry out-of-state without a permit; and
  1. Finally, the Broun bill does not rely on an expansive, erroneous interpretation of the Commerce Clause. Passing gun legislation that uses the Commerce Clause for authority could undercut efforts at promoting Firearms Freedom Act legislation throughout the country which specifically declares the Commerce Clause has no authority over the production of intrastate guns.
We need to continue putting heat on Congress, now that this reciprocity legislation is beginning to move. You’ve already sent your emails, but now it’s time to change things up and send postcards. If the House committee passes the Stearns bill, then it will probably come to the floor of the House some time next month.

So there is plenty of time to inundate Representatives’ offices with postcards and mail -- urging them to support H.R. 2900 -- or to amend the Stearns bill so that it contains the gun owners’ protections in the Broun bill.

So, GOA members, please be looking for the latest mailing from GOA headquarters which should begin arriving this week. And please take the enclosed postcard and send it to your Representative. Then, take the extra two postcards and have pro-gun family members and friends send them, as well. That will multiply your efforts by 200%.

Not receiving GOA’s mailings and postcards?
Click here and sign up to become a GOA member today.​

For a contribution of just $20, you can become a full-fledged member of
Gun Owners of America with all the rights and privileges that GOA members possess. Moreover, you will begin receiving our monthly mailings which provide one more avenue to lobby your Congressmen.

Also, did you see the Violence Policy Center’s “research” which supposedly debunks concealed carry? Click here to see GOA’s most recent Fact Sheet, which blasts the VPC faux report and sets the record straight.

Please do not reply directly to this message, as your reply will bounce back as undeliverable.
Please forward this e-mail to friends and family
Gun Owners of America
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102
Springfield, VA 22151
703-321-8585
www.gunowners.org
Contact Form
If this alert was forwarded to you, you can subscribe to receive alerts directly by clicking here.

[FONT=arial, helvetica] If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.
[/FONT]
capwizlogo.gif

Daylen

Now that is a much better bill. No requirement for additional extraneous ID cards. very open and general. I might not oppose this reciprocity bill.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I can't believe all the negative hype I have heard coming from pro-2A folks about H.R. 822. We need to read and understand this bill, not listen to what people say simply because they want a different bill passed. This bill is wonderful, a good start that has a chance of passing. It does not erode our rights to keep and bear arms and all the bad amendmendts have been removed by house committee. H.R. 2900 would not have a chance, most notably because it allows permitless carry by people in any state. That will never fly. Nor would people getting out of state permits to carry in their state of residence. 822 actually has a shot, we need to start here, ad continue the fight farther down the road. We need federal legislation mandating the states to honor the secon amendment, since heller confirmed it applies to states, but it will take a lot of work. If people are actually telling their representatives to ignore this bill, then we are going down the wrong road.

kcgunfan

Where does 822 require an extra id? I can't find one discussed anywhere in the bill or the one amendment that passed.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Daylen

Where does 822 require an extra id? I can't find one discussed anywhere in the bill or the one amendment that passed.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision... and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State...

If you read the bill it is clear. I'm sure this is confusing to those who simply read the liberal commentary, where they claimed it would be so confusing because some states have permits with no photo on it and are just paper slips. This is simply not true. However, I like my paper permit and don't like being required to carry special ID in addition to my permit. I'll oppose any bill that pushes that kind of bs. If the federal bill isn't perfect it should be opposed; I'm happy simply winning the reciprocity battle one state at a time. So far so good.

kcgunfan

(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision... and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State...

If you read the bill it is clear. I'm sure this is confusing to those who simply read the liberal commentary, where they claimed it would be so confusing because some states have permits with no photo on it and are just paper slips. This is simply not true. However, I like my paper permit and don't like being required to carry special ID in addition to my permit. I'll oppose any bill that pushes that kind of bs. If the federal bill isn't perfect it should be opposed; I'm happy simply winning the reciprocity battle one state at a time. So far so good.

OK, so you are correct, it does require you to have an ID on you, if your permit isn't sufficient. Let me ask a follow-up question then. For the states that have permits w/o photos on them, what level of documentation do you need to prove that you are the person named on the permit?

I have to admit that I prefer HR 2900 to 822, mostly for the reasons the GOA cites also. But I know that it has a much smaller chance of becoming law than 822 does. I'm willing to get some fraction of what I want now, and wait on the rest, as opposed to not getting anything at all.

mrjam2jab

Does your drivers license have your photo on it?

Redbaron007

First, GOA is trying to raise money with disinformation.....the vote was not on Friday....the House wasn't in session.

Secondly, keep the feds out of states' issue. This isn't a 2A issue, it's a states regulation for CCW. The feds just need to sit it out!

nobama

I would support any one of these bills. All you have to do is see where the anti-liberty brady bunch stand. They dont support HB822 so, I will.