• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while skeet shooting on state land?

nate0486

Next weekend I am going skeet shooting at algonac state park. I think this have been covered on here before but I could not find it, can you OC in the state park while shooting on the shotgun range. I know the preemption would allow me to carry in the park just not sure about being on the range during hunting season.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Next weekend I am going skeet shooting at algonac state park. I think this have been covered on here before but I could not find it, can you OC in the state park while shooting on the shotgun range. I know the preemption would allow me to carry in the park just not sure about being on the range during hunting season.

If the issue is because of hunting season, as long as you don't attempt to take game, you are fine. I also believe you would be fine if your concern is that it would be a range-master applied rule, especially if the range is DNR operated.

PDinDetroit

MCL 324.504 said:
NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994

324.504 Department of natural resources; rules for protection and preservation of lands and property; duties of department; report; applicability of subsections (2) and (3) to commercial forestland; certain rules prohibited; orders; violation as civil infraction; fine.

Sec. 504.

(1) The department shall promulgate rules to protect and preserve lands and other property under its control from depredation, damage, or destruction or wrongful or improper use or occupancy.

(2) Subject to subsection (4), the department shall do all of the following:

(a) Keep land under its control open to hunting unless the department determines that the land should be closed to hunting because of public safety, fish or wildlife management, or homeland security concerns or as otherwise required by law.

(b) Manage land under its control to support and promote hunting opportunities to the extent authorized by law.

(c) Manage land under its control to prevent any net decrease in the acreage of such land that is open to hunting.

(3) Subject to subsection (4), by April 1, 2010 and each year thereafter, the department shall submit to the legislature a report that includes all of the following:

(a) The location and acreage of land under its control previously open to hunting that the department closed to hunting during the 1-year period ending the preceding March 1, together with the reasons for the closure.

(b) The location and acreage of land under its control previously closed to hunting that the department opened to hunting during the 1-year period ending the preceding March 1 to compensate for land closed to hunting under subdivision (a).

(4) Subsections (2) and (3) do not apply to commercial forestland as defined in section 51101.

(5) This section does not authorize the department to promulgate a rule that applies to commercial fishing except as otherwise provided by law.

(6) The department shall not promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits an individual who is licensed or exempt from licensure under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, from carrying a pistol in compliance with that act, whether concealed or otherwise, on property under the control of the department.

(7) The department shall issue orders necessary to implement rules promulgated under this section. These orders shall be effective upon posting.

(8 ) A person who violates a rule promulgated under this section or an order issued under this section is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be ordered to pay a civil fine of not more than $500.00.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-504

So, this covers both Open Carry and Concealed Carry of a Pistol. This covers Open Carry for CPL and Non-CPL Holders and Concealed Carry for CPL Holders.

Open Carry Pistol License: MCL 28.422

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422

Concealed Carry Pistol License: MCL 28-425b

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425b

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-504

So, this covers both Open Carry and Concealed Carry of a Pistol. This covers Open Carry for CPL and Non-CPL Holders and Concealed Carry for CPL Holders.

Open Carry Pistol License: MCL 28.422

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422

Concealed Carry Pistol License: MCL 28-425b

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425b

Thanks PD, knew someone would be here to provide the citation. Tapatalk is convenient, but for citations nothing beats a computer lol. I have also heard the DNR thinks it only applies to cpl holders. But, as your citation states, that is simply not true.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Thanks PD, knew someone would be here to provide the citation. Tapatalk is convenient, but for citations nothing beats a computer lol. I have also heard the DNR thinks it only applies to cpl holders. But, as your citation states, that is simply not true.

You are welcome, glad I could help, have just been looking at this recently...

Venator is currently conversing with the DNR about it and posting it on MGO, it may need to have an attorney general opinion to get it cleared up.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
While we're at it, might be useful to see about getting target shooting cleared for the areas where people are already allowed to shoot. Or would that just make too much sense for the .gov?

That's just not something that a person can just talk to the DNR about and then it is changed; I believe it goes to the NRC.