• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee Police Officer Shoots Himself In Foot

Baked on Grease

This what would piss me off so much if a cop approached me while pointing a firearm at me. "DON'T POINT THE GUN AT ANYTHING THAT YOU DON'T INTEND TO DESTROY"

To me, grounds for lawsuit regardless of whether it went bang or not, fear for ones life an all.

Sent using tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What we have here is a failure to perform as trained. [/Strother Martin voice]

Either he was trained not to draw until out of the vehicle or he was trained to draw and then exit the vehicle. Seriously doubt if he was trained to do two things at once.

And in any case he better have been trained to keep his booger hook off the bang switch, etc.

From the written account it seems that having his gun out and ready was appropriate. He just needs to work on the details of how to accomplish that. Also from the account it appears that at least one gun responsible for the sound of gunshots (before our hero arrived) was located and taken off the street. (Personally I'd like to see folks charged for abandoning innocent guns on the street or sidewalk just like we charge parents for abandoning kids. Those poor guns could get hurt laying out there all alone! Worse yet, they could hurt someone's vehicle if driven over, or someone's toe if they stubbed up against it!)

Now the big question is, will the MPD take advantage of the teaching moment presented?

Anybody willing to bet they will? I'm willing to give odds against it.

stay safe.

WisconsinPI

ha

I'm sorry, but I love this, all hyped on adrenaline, can't even wait to get out of the car to start poppin em off, right in the old foot. You ever see that video of the alleged DEA agent shooting himself in the leg, I laugh everytime.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I am sure when he went through the MPD academy firearms training he was told hundreds of times to keep his finger off the trigger until it is time to shoot.

Some people no matter how many times you tell them, show them, ect never ever get it or they belive they know a better way.

He most likely well never make that mistake again. But then there are some real hard headed people out there.

MKEgal

I saw this on the news & started on a rant.
Idiot doesn't remember some of the most basic rules of safety:
1) finger off the trigger
2) point in a safe direction
Yet they're supposed to be the only ones qualified, professional enough, etc.

Hope he has to spend some time w/ the firearms safety instructor before being allowed back on the street.

Baked on Grease said:
This what would piss me off so much if a cop approached me while pointing a firearm at me. "DON'T POINT THE GUN AT ANYTHING THAT YOU DON'T INTEND TO DESTROY"
To me, grounds for lawsuit regardless of whether it went bang or not, fear for ones life an all.
When it happened to me, my mouth was dry for a couple hours after.
And yes, "unlawful use of deadly force" or something to that effect was part of the lawsuit.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
what we have here is a -- ND -- Negligent Discharge , if anyone of of us were to do the same thing..think FINE, MAYBE JAIL TIME for discharging a weapon in the city limits.....Amazing what cops can get away with being the only RESPONSIBLE ones that should be carrying weapons...LOL

WisconsinPI

what we have here is a -- ND -- Negligent Discharge , if anyone of of us were to do the same thing..think FINE, MAYBE JAIL TIME for discharging a weapon in the city limits.....Amazing what cops can get away with being the only RESPONSIBLE ones that should be carrying weapons...LOL

Oh yea, they have total immunity, only way things go wrong for them is if they're caught on tape doing something that causes public outcry

XDFDE45

Lee Paige's "teaching moment" benefited no one. This latest one will be missed too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trlPcDg-B4E
I was going to post this as well. Maybe this guy was the trainer for the MPD
icon_rolleyes.gif

JJC

On the other hand, if any of us has a Negligent Discharge (pray it never does). We can always cite this incident as a forgiveable incident if this officer is NOT charged.

It'll still be expensive though.

JJC

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

On the other hand, if any of us has a Negligent Discharge (pray it never does). We can always cite this incident as a forgiveable incident if this officer is NOT charged.

It'll still be expensive though.

JJC

My wife usually forgives me when I have a ND. Of course it is a rare occurrence.