• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Have I Gotten Myself Into (Moving to MD from NC)

ImJustMylan

Ohhh the horror.. I have been on a OC binge mission since I got my one way plane ticket from Charlotte, NC to Baltimore, MD. I did my research prior to my decision to move but, I still feel as though I made a bad decision. My main question is now.. besides getting a permit to carry... (which will most likely never happen)

What other self defense alternatives are legal?

I am cleared to get a x26 taser but will I be able to carry that? open or concealed?

If i cant get that.. I suppose I will try a 2 million watt stun gun...

All i know is that, I refuse to be unprepared for a potential threat to my life.

Dreamer

Ohhh the horror.. I have been on a OC binge mission since I got my one way plane ticket from Charlotte, NC to Baltimore, MD. I did my research prior to my decision to move but, I still feel as though I made a bad decision. My main question is now.. besides getting a permit to carry... (which will most likely never happen)

What other self defense alternatives are legal?

I am cleared to get a x26 taser but will I be able to carry that? open or concealed?

If i cant get that.. I suppose I will try a 2 million watt stun gun...

All i know is that, I refuse to be unprepared for a potential threat to my life.

Stun guns (including Tazers) are legal in MD except in Annapolis, Baltimore & Howard County where they are prohibited.

Essentially, in the rural counties, and the rich suburban county of Montgomery (where there is very little crime), Stun Guns are OK in MD, but in the locations where might actually NEED to defend your life against some violent thug, people in the MD General Assembly (like Senator Brian Frosh--who is, BTW, a Partner in the biggest criminal defense law firm in the state...) say you must remain defenseless--even to the exclusion of less-than-lethal options.

It is against the law (according to most MD Court rulings and precedents), however, in ANY location in MD to carry ANY "weapon" concealed without a permit, and the Courts have ruled in MD that stun guns and tazers ARE "dangerous weapons". Although not specifically named in the Statute, there IS court precedent...

§ 4-101. Dangerous weapons.
(c) Prohibited.

(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-1/4-101/

If you feel that you may need to defend yourself in MD, the best bet is to move to VA and never "cross the moat".

Barring that, your second alternative is to get a good attorney, and have good medical insurance, and HOPE that when you ARE attacked, you are only injured, and can survive with enough functionality intact to testify against the thug if the police ever get around to apprehending them.

Interestingly enough, if you ARE attacked and survive, then you can put that police report in with your permit application, and it MAY qualify as a 'good and substantial reason"...

Good luck. I've been here 3 weeks, and it's driving me up a wall that I can't carry.

But I would ask that you join me in my "Empty Holster Open Carry" protest that I engage in EVERY TIME I step out of the house. The only time I don't EHOC is when I'm at work. So far, I've had no problems, no issues, and not even a single question or comment from the citizenry. But the more of us who EHOC, the better, because eventully, we will get some attention, and people will start to ask what we are doing.

At which point, we just smile and respond, "I'm carrying my self-defense tool the only legal way I can in MD--leaving it at home, and praying I don't have to dial 911..."

ImJustMylan

I guess I should check out Groupon for some martial arts class deals. I will EHOC with you.. no problem.. Lets make it happen..

ImJustMylan

I am finally @ the airport for my one way trip to BaltiWar, Murderland.. hopefully i can transition from ground zero to Silver Springs soon...atleast I could sleep without having to worry so much..

Dreamer

I feel your pain, brother. Having also recently moved from NC (and possessing a NC, PA and UT CC permit) I have enjoyed several years of free and trouble-free carry in most of the Mid-Atlantic region, including daily OC in the Greenville NC area without a single LE incident in nearly 3 years.

Now I live in Columbia MD.

It's like moving from the US to the Soviet Union in the 1950s.

We need to get together soon. Stay in touch, and I hope your move is smooth and uneventful.

VAopencarry

Wow Dreamer, I am surprised to see you moved here. I've been here a year now, coming from VA. It sucks, *** sucks, but you know that already. :) I can't wait to get outta here.

Last edited:

gravedigger

It is possible to make your own stun gun. All it consists of is a few simple electronic components you can pick up at any Radio Shack. With the right ones, you can make YOUR stun gun FAR more powerful than the ones sold in retail stores. FAR more powerful.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It is possible to make your own stun gun. All it consists of is a few simple electronic components you can pick up at any Radio Shack. With the right ones, you can make YOUR stun gun FAR more powerful than the ones sold in retail stores. FAR more powerful.

ad494d13-137f-1ca1.jpg

Dreamer

You really don't get it do you...

It is illegal to own, carry, or use stun guns by people in certain MD counties and cities unless they have one of those impossible-to-get MD Carry Permits.

The law does not stipulate whether the stun gun is store-bought or garage-built. Carry one without a permit, and you are toast in certain parts of MD.

In fact, a home-made stun gun would probably get you in a LOT more trouble because it would not be certified to be "less than lethal", and therefore would qualify as a "deadly weapon"...

The law works VERY differently in MD. Here you are a serf, and you are ALWAYS considered guilty until proven innocent. It's not like the majority of the other States, who at least put up a pretense of justice. In MD, they don't even bother to pretend that they are functioning under Rule of Law anymore--it's all about who you know and how much money you donate to the State coffers...

Red Dawg

It's a shame. I grew up on the Eastern Shore, and hunted and fished, and carried a gun from September to March. Had it in the truck at school, the whole nine yards. I guess ignorance of the law over there is just the way you have to operate.
I would say, that if all of us country folk, and folk that DO care about self defense for honest people, write a letter to the editor, and let it be common knowledge that will not be putting up with it any more. We will vote out anyone that does NOT respect the US constitution. Funny thing about MD, it is considerably more rural that urban. There are more gun owners who are law abiding citizens, then thugs. It needs to be a grass roots move forward, like the few Open Empty Holsters. Maybe sit with a table and hand out flyers at some of the places that LACs anf gun people congregate.

Dreamer

I would say, that if all of us country folk, and folk that DO care about self defense for honest people, write a letter to the editor, and let it be common knowledge that will not be putting up with it any more. We will vote out anyone that does NOT respect the US constitution.

The rural parts of MD are not the same state as the "4 Urban Counties". The Eastern Shore and Western MD are, for the most part, populated by people who believe in the Constitution, Personal Freedom, and the Rule of Law.

The "4 Urban Counties" are mind-numbingly branwashed zones of unrelenting propaganda, filled with an odd mixture of highly-educated people who are completely devoid of the ability for critical thought or discernment, and oppressed minorities who have been made so dependent on the system that they dare not even consider their own slavery as something that isn't desirable. It is like stepping into Oz, except the flying monkeys wear badges, the Wicked Witch is the Governor, and the Munchkins are all a bunch of brainwashed hipsters and old yuppies, and surrealistically stereotypical caricatures of urban minorities.

Funny thing about MD, it is considerably more rural that urban. There are more gun owners who are law abiding citizens, than thugs.

That may be true for the rural parts of MD, but the majority of the population in MD is concentrated in the "4 Urban Counties" and so they control the polls. Montgomery County has more registered voters than all the rural counties combined. Whatever (or whoever) the 4 Urban Counties vote for becomes political reality in MD. It is a sad, sick state of affairs, and truly a "Mob Rule" scenario that victimizes everyone who is not part of the Ruling Elite.

It needs to be a grass roots move forward, like the few Open Empty Holsters. Maybe sit with a table and hand out flyers at some of the places that LACs anf gun people congregate.

I've been EHOCing every day after I get off work for over 3 weeks all over Montgomery, Howard, Baltimore, and PG Counties. I have not even got a second look, let alone a question or a confrontation. I honestly think that most of the brainwashed zombies here don't know what an empty Serpa is.

I've considered making up some "Your MD Gun Rights" flyers like the ones I made for NC, VA, WV, and PA, but when I considered that for MD it would essentially be a sheet of paper with that phrase on the front, and the rest would be blank, I figured it wasn't worth the copying fees. :banghead:

But if more people want to join me in my EHOC campaign, I'll be glad to do what I can to support it. Perhaps I can write a flyer to let people know what the REAL story is with regards to permits to carry in MD--that Brian Frosh and Babs Mikulski have them--and are ALSO the loudest anti-gun politicians in MD. or that there are fewer "unrestricted" permits issued to regular citizens in the entire state of MD than there are in Fairfax County, VA. Or that the MSP considers defending drugs, money, gold coins, and jewelry a worthwhile reason to carry a firearm, but they DO NOT consider protecting yourself, your family or your children precious enough to warrant a permit...

I don't care what the "gun rights activist groups" in MD say or think. Their track record over the last 20 years speaks for itself. It's time that someone approaches this situation in MD with some creativity, some passion, and some REAL grass-roots activism--NOT just playing the game by the corrupt money-grubbing rules that pervade in Annapolis and Pikesville. It's time to STOP throwing money at the problemin MD and START throwing people at it--LOTS of people--wearing empty holsters, handing out flyers, TALKING to people on the street, on the train, in the malls. It's time to walk away from the rotten, corrupt, putrid stinking cesspool of MD official politics, and engage the PEOPLE.

It's time to educate the PEOPLE that they have been victimize for centuries by their "Rulers", that the MD Government is a den of racist, classist, elitist oligarchical, tyrannical vipers who have perpetrate a 2 1/2 century-old fraud on their populace. It's time to make the PEOPLE aware that Annapolis and Pikesville DO NOT have the best interest of the people in their hearts, and that they are actively colluding to oppress, subjugate, and enslave the good People of this state. It's time to let the People know that their government views them as nothing more than a revenue source, and does NOT consider them to be real humans with rights, but rather sees them as their subjects, with only the "rights" the government grants them.

It's time to take off the gloves, and leave our wallets at home. It's time to start calling out the corruption, lies, and duplicity of MD State Government, and to send the People of MD the Good News that they CAN, in fact, be Free, Safe, and Sovereign like their neighbors to the south, West, and North.

It's time to rock the boat, and stop bribing the boatman, in hope that he might safely take us to the "other side". It's time to grab the oars ourselves, and steer this ship of state in the right direction ourselves--toward Freedom, Liberty, and Self Determination...

Last edited:

acmariner99

As bad as Maryland sounds, it is better than the Empire of New York or Nazi Jersey. Not by much, but at least you can bring your guns into Maryland and buy them without too many restrictions (comparatively). Good luck with your campaign though!