• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Silly: Police pepper spray Haka dancers at football game

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
Let's talk a little about "racism" and cultural appropriation...

SNIP... The Haka is a Maori ritual dance which originated in New Zealand... SNIP
Other probably true stuff...

Isn't that the nature of how any local custom spreads either geographically or across generations? The new followers of the custom do it a little bit "wrong" according the originators? Whether it be dance, language, martial arts, or religious observances?

For MilProGuy - If my reference to racism was off the mark I apologize.

What drew my attention was the phrase "a bunch of chest-beating, grimacing, "dancers"". To me, this seemed similar to every generation's grandparents sneeringly referring to the "music" these youngsters listen to nowadays. The quote marks imply disdain. Had they performed a classical ballet at the exit instead would you have accepted that it was a dance, instead of a bunch of guys "dancing"? Would the police still be justified in your eyes?

To me this resembles the so many other discussions I see on this board. The way some CCers refer to OCers, for instance. Southerners to Yankees, or hip holsters to thigh rigs, etc....

It smacks of baseless intolerance. You may now go about your "posting" without further interruption.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Certainly more information would be helpful. To me it looks like an over-reaction. The article says numerous people explained to the police what was going on. Even if they were inadvertently blocking an exit, I fail to see how firing pepper spray into a large crowd of innocent people is helpful to the situation.

It matters little that it was ok with most of the other folks there. What matters is they were illegally blocking the exit to a stadium full of people.

While I agree they overreacted, they did attempt to get them to move, first: "The police action came after a pair of officers unsuccessfully attempted to disperse the dozen or so performers who were blocking an exit..."

If the dancers had simply moved aside while continuing to dance, I seriously doubt anything would have come of it. I agree with MilProGuy: "This is another case of a few exercising their "rights" at the expense of the freedom of others who wanted to exit the stadium and go home, but were unable to because the exits were blocked." Or as my father used to say, "Swing your cat as much as you want. Just don't let it get in anyone else's way."

Last edited:

KBCraig

It matters little that it was ok with most of the other folks there. What matters is they were illegally blocking the exit to a stadium full of people.

While I agree they overreacted, they did attempt to get them to move, first: "The police action came after a pair of officers unsuccessfully attempted to disperse the dozen or so performers who were blocking an exit..."

You didn't watch the video, did you?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You didn't watch the video, did you?

Or read the other posts where folks offered observations and opinions about why they did not consider the exit blocked, and then refute it with your own observations and opinions?

I'm not saying I/we are right. But at least "we" took the time to try and explain our reason for saying what we did and pointing out the evidence we relied on in reaching that conclusion. All I can get from your comment is that you think the exit was blocked because someone else says it was blocked, and it appears you totally discounted conflicting opinions without bothering to explain why those opinions are, in you opinion, wrong.

If it were not an ad hominem attack I'd nominate you for wisest person on earth.

stay safe.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Laws for law sake is not what our country is supposed to be founded on. We need to get rid of it is "illegal" so they must pay thinking, and get back to our Blackstone, Freeman founding.

Actus reus and mens rea have to be present along with a victim. Can anyone defending the actions of the police present these three items to the court?