• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OR, Open carry under 21?

Centerfire Citizen

Hello, I am under 21 but over 18 and live in NE Oregon and have questions regarding open carry. Since I cannot legally purchase a hangun is it legal for me to open carry one that has been registered in one of my parents name? If anyone can provide me with some answers or laws that I can read pertaining to this I would appreciate it. Another thing I was curious about is carrying in a vehicle, I have seen laws that say the hangun has to be in a locked container that is not readily accessible, so does this mean that while you are open carrying every time you get in your vehicle you have to place your hangun in a locked box? And when leaving the vehicle you can simply place it in your holster and carry on? This seems a bit fuzzy to me so if someone can teach me about this that would be great. I'm looking forward to your replies, I have read over a few threads on this forum and everyone seems very knowledgeable and helpful.

Also, I realize the acronym for my user name is CC, perhaps addressing me as CFC would cause less confusion. Thanks.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

I did what golddigger said, so could you.

Oregon

Summary
Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, their preemption statute only covers concealed handgun license holders from city or county passed bans against loaded firearms in public places. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. Also, all "public buildings" are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license.

or-flag.gif

Legal Disclaimer
We make every effort to provide correct information on this site. However, the legal landscape surrounding open carry is fluid and subject to a myriad of political influences in the various states. Therefore, any and all information you glean from this site should be independently verified!
State Constitution Article I, Section 27

The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defence of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power.
Minimum Age to OC 18
Preemption Complete state preemption of firearms law except a city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places for those who do not hold a license to carry a concealed handgun.

NOTE: Almost all states allow local regulation of the discharge of firearms
Open Car Carry Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, an Oregon concealed handgun permit holder is exempt from all local open carry bans. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places.
Private Sales Not Yet Determined
Permit Issued Not Yet Determined
K-12 Carry Not Yet Determined

NOTE: The Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act Restricts Carry to Permit Holders
College Carry Carry Not Statutorily Prohibited

NOTE: Even if Legal, Students May be Subject to Academic Sanctions
Places Off Limits
  • Currently Being Researched

State Law
Official Documents
State Organizations
Local Ordinances
Concealed Carry Available at Handgunlaw.us

You can OC in Oregon when you are 18 years old.

Last edited:

Dogbait

Visit the oregon forums for posts similar to yours. Research is the key here. You need to be knowledgeable of the laws before carrying. Read the posts , even though its a lot of reading, you'll be glad you did.

Sent from my HTC EVO

Centerfire Citizen

Thanks for your answers so far, im thinking I will try to start this thread in the Oregon section with my question being state specific. I have done some searching but with no luck for a specific answer to my questions. Thanks again everyone.

-I started this thread in the Oregon section, sorry for this dead end thread everyone. Please follow the link and post in the other thread, thanks again.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?96214-Open-carry-under-21&p=1634101#post1634101

Last edited:

Centerfire Citizen

So far im on the 6th page of threads in the OR section trying to gather anything I can, but still havent stumbled upon someone else asking about OC under 21, but that question has been answered already for me, in this thread and the other. I know starting two different threads about the same thing isnt the greatest way to start off on a new forum, but after realizing that another section is better fit for my questions I felt it necessary to "move" this subject to the proper section. Again, Im sorry about this thread being a "go nowhere" thread. If someone has something to post regarding my initial concerns please follow the link in my previous post. Thanks