• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm embarassed to say I'm not a good shot

jonjon_jon

As I've posted here before I'm more of a hunter than a hand gun shooter but I certainly support your gun rights and want to protect mine. I was out firing a muzzle loader today for deer season. I've never shot a deer with one and I'm considering hunting the season with it. Anyhow to the point of the post. I figured while everthing was set up I'd try out my hand guns. Well I know practice makes perfect and my games not. Well that's my fault for not putting the time in but I thought I'd ask you guys for some pointers to help me improve my shooting. Question #1 when I shoot should I be leaning into the gun with a forward stance? I've seen people shoot like this but I find myself leaning back. Is that bad habit? Is there any other pointers you can give to help me tighting up my groups without going through million shells to fiqure out my errors?

wrightme

Forward stance, don't lean back.

The only thing that should be in crisp focus is the front sight.

Check which eye is dominant, you may be unknowingly shooting "cross-eye."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Get someone to help you understand why you need to lean into, not away, from the target. Hold your hand out while in your shooting stance, with your palm out facing forward. Have your assistant give your palm a short, sharp shove to simulate the recoil of firing. Lean forward and your body merely rocks back into position. Lean back and you keep going back (unless you end up on your 4th point of contact). It also helps you understand why your feet should not be together and should be staggered (one in front of the other).

Guys seem to lean backwards due to lack of upper arm/chest strength. The other sex seems to lean backwards in the mistaken belief that they need to counterbalance both the weight of the handgun (strength issue) and natural attributes. If you do not/cannot spend time either dry firing or doing presentations, get a can of soup and use it as a substitute for the weight of the handgun. Even doing this while leaning back in your recliner will build strength and eliminates the chance you will shoot the TV.

stay safe.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
As I've posted here before I'm more of a hunter than a hand gun shooter but I certainly support your gun rights and want to protect mine. I was out firing a muzzle loader today for deer season. I've never shot a deer with one and I'm considering hunting the season with it. Anyhow to the point of the post. I figured while everthing was set up I'd try out my hand guns. Well I know practice makes perfect and my games not. Well that's my fault for not putting the time in but I thought I'd ask you guys for some pointers to help me improve my shooting. Question #1 when I shoot should I be leaning into the gun with a forward stance? I've seen people shoot like this but I find myself leaning back. Is that bad habit? Is there any other pointers you can give to help me tighting up my groups without going through million shells to fiqure out my errors?

and you and I my friend... are going to the range!

carry for myself

Leaning back is a defense mechanism of the mind. I've seen it thousands of times and have caught myself doing it a few. Its part of recoil shock. Your brain subconsiously makes you want to stay away from the bang. So be aware of it. And lean in. Never pull the trigger. Always gently squeeze, pulling causes the weapon to jump, thus destroying accuracy. Don't hold the gun too tight. Keep a firm grip but not a death grip. Shoot with both eyes open, closing one throws off accuracy.

Make sure the pistol is in a straight line with your forearm. If you hold it at an angle or crooked in your hand it will also throw off accuracy. Control your breathing. And let em fly :)