• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about CCW training requirements?

tpos

So I was perusing the training requirements on the Wisconsin DOJ website, and I had two questions. Since I am on active duty military, stationed outside WI, but I still pay taxes to the state of WI and my family lives there(Parents), am I considered a resident. 2nd, I was wondering about the line that says "Active military: Certificate of completion of basic training with service record of successful completion of small arms training." I have a certificate of completion of basic training, but nowhere do they give you a record of successful completion of small arms training. Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Interceptor_Knight

If you are in the USMC your SRB (Service Record Book) will show rifle qual. I would expect the same for the Army, etc. Simply scan the page from your record book which shows your rifle qual.

You can be paying WI taxes and not be a resident for the purposes of a WI carry License and not have a WI drivers' license. You must either have a WI DL or a WI ID issued by the DMV in order to carry with a WI resident License. Without one or the other you are not legal to carry with a WI License. With one or the other using a WI address you should be good to go.

tpos

I am in the Army, and I do not believe we have a service records book. I just looked through all the paperwork that i have been given throughout my career, and I do not have a weapons qual cert. I have record of it online on my account on the Army's record website, but its just a little line that says what I shot, not a certificate or anything.

As for the second question, I do have a WI DL, so I'm good there. On another note, I just read on the WI DOJ website "**Wisconsin residents must have a Wisconsin concealed carry license**." I plan on getting the WI permit, but hypothetically, since I do not currently reside in WI, and I were to have a permit from a different state, would I still be required to get the WI permit?

Interceptor_Knight

I am in the Army, and I do not believe we have a service records book. I just looked through all the paperwork that i have been given throughout my career, and I do not have a weapons qual cert. I have record of it online on my account on the Army's record website, but its just a little line that says what I shot, not a certificate or anything.

As for the second question, I do have a WI DL, so I'm good there. On another note, I just read on the WI DOJ website "**Wisconsin residents must have a Wisconsin concealed carry license**." I plan on getting the WI permit, but hypothetically, since I do not currently reside in WI, and I were to have a permit from a different state, would I still be required to get the WI permit?

You would not have a "certificate" but you should have gotten an award for how you shot and there will be a record of it. If what is listed on line states that you qualified, it should cover it. You should also be able to simply check with your admin person and get something that says how you qualified with a rifle.
Licensees are required to always carry their license and their ID. If you have a WI Driver's License you should have a WI Carry License.

bforn

For firearms purposes you are not a resident of Wisconsin at the moment. It is crazy but you are a resident (for firearms purposes only) of the state in which you are permanently stationed.

18 U.S.C. 922(t)(1)(C):
IDENTIFICATION OF TRANSFEREE
27 CFR 178.124: FIREARMS
TRANSACTION RECORD
Licensees may accept a combination
of valid government-issued
documents to satisfy the identification
document requirements of the
Brady Act. The required valid government-
issued photo identification
document bearing the name,
photograph, and date of birth of
the transferee may be supplemented
by another valid, government-
issued document showing
the transferee's residence address.

A member of the Armed Forces on
active duty is a resident of the
State in which his or her permanent
duty station is located, and
may satisfy the identification
document requirement by presenting
his or her military identification
card along with official orders
showing that his or her permanent
duty station is within the State
where the licensed premises are
located.

Getting a Carry License from Wisconsin could be different. I know the Federal code section above is dealing with buying firearms but I believe it applies to residency for anything firearm related. If I am wrong please tell me.

tpos

So I just wanted to let you know, I just called the WI DOJ. The information the lady gave me, was that a certificate of completion of basic training would be just fine. I was still a little confused as to the residency thing, and what she had said was that I should put down my current APO address, and also put down my address in Wisconsin. So I guess all I can do is submit the application and hope for the best!

Interceptor_Knight

For firearms purposes you are not a resident of Wisconsin at the moment. It is crazy but you are a resident (for firearms purposes only) of the state in which you are permanently stationed..

Actually, you are a dual resident.
For Federal purposes you may purchase a firearm from your home State and where you are permanently stationed so long as you maintain a Drivers License from your home State and its address is a residence which you maintain in your home state even if that residence is your Mom's Basement..

Last edited: