Thread: Another test of the castle doctrine

Another test of the castle doctrine

Hi all:

This appeared in todays Miami Herald: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/2...ests-self.html

Mike V.

It's quite telling that the newspaper article goes into detail about what Mr. Wonder did after the shooting.

Some of the things he did may well be different from the "standard advice" we throw about regarding what to do or not do following a self defense shooting incident. But as his attorney notes, what he did after the incident does not effect whether or not the shooting itself met the "stand your ground" law's requirements for immunity from prosecution.

Hopefully the DA in Fla knows the difference between what the law says and what he might feel about what the guy did afterwards.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Pettit [cop], who was off duty at the time, followed Wonder [elderly citizen] into a post office parking lot and yelled at him before Wonder opened fire. Pettit’s daughter, 12 years old at the time, witnessed the shooting.
    Isn't it illegal to have firearms on PO property?

Elderly man with health problems facing (apparently much younger, probably more fit) road rager who followed him to a safe, public place & was still verbally abusive...
    I'm leaning toward saying this was an appropriate use of force.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

In addition, the road rager was an FBI agent off duty. As to the weapon on PO property, not that I know of, only inside.

Mike V.

Quote Originally Posted by mavidal View Post
    In addition, the road rager was an FBI agent off duty. As to the weapon on PO property, not that I know of, only inside.

Mike V.
    Possession on USPS property is verboten, as is possession inside the building. Don't have the cite handy so will ask that you trust me on that. Or look up several civil suits under way for folks that do not have RFD and must go to the PO to get their mail to see what they are fighting against.

Rule of Competing Harms comes into play. Road rage incident and alleged victim (yes, PC weasel-wording my way through here - just bear with it) pulls into the first/nearest convenient place to get off the road/away from the alleged assailant. Doing a Bad Thing to avoid a worse Bad Thing is recognized under common and case law as Not A Bad Thing.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Don't have the cite handy so will ask that you trust me on that.
    18 U.S.C. 930 is what they claim, however there is debate as to whether or not they are correct in using that citation.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/930
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Centurion
    930 is for a generic federal building or courthouse. 39CFR232.1 is the one with the prohibition on postal property.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 10-25-2011 at 06:28 AM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    930 is for a generic federal building or courthouse. 39CFR232.1 is the one with the prohibition on postal property.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I stand corrected. Thank you Joe!

The applicable rule says:

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may
    carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either
    openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for
    official purposes.

The interesting clause is "except for official purposes". Since the Supreme Court has determined that the right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense is a fundamental and individual right, does that translate to an "official purpose"?
    Last edited by Rich7553; 10-25-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    "official purpose"?
    That State generally means 'official' as something that they do... 'Official' is the word used to separate the 'only ones' from lowly, unwashed 'us.'

Special, better than you, more deserving, superior, above, trumps your Rights, etc... That is what 'official' means.
    Last edited by ixtow; 10-25-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.