• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another test of the castle doctrine

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's quite telling that the newspaper article goes into detail about what Mr. Wonder did after the shooting.

Some of the things he did may well be different from the "standard advice" we throw about regarding what to do or not do following a self defense shooting incident. But as his attorney notes, what he did after the incident does not effect whether or not the shooting itself met the "stand your ground" law's requirements for immunity from prosecution.

Hopefully the DA in Fla knows the difference between what the law says and what he might feel about what the guy did afterwards.

stay safe.

MKEgal

Pettit [cop], who was off duty at the time, followed Wonder [elderly citizen] into a post office parking lot and yelled at him before Wonder opened fire. Pettit’s daughter, 12 years old at the time, witnessed the shooting.
Isn't it illegal to have firearms on PO property?

Elderly man with health problems facing (apparently much younger, probably more fit) road rager who followed him to a safe, public place & was still verbally abusive...
I'm leaning toward saying this was an appropriate use of force.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In addition, the road rager was an FBI agent off duty. As to the weapon on PO property, not that I know of, only inside.

Mike V.

Possession on USPS property is verboten, as is possession inside the building. Don't have the cite handy so will ask that you trust me on that. Or look up several civil suits under way for folks that do not have RFD and must go to the PO to get their mail to see what they are fighting against.

Rule of Competing Harms comes into play. Road rage incident and alleged victim (yes, PC weasel-wording my way through here - just bear with it) pulls into the first/nearest convenient place to get off the road/away from the alleged assailant. Doing a Bad Thing to avoid a worse Bad Thing is recognized under common and case law as Not A Bad Thing.

stay safe.

JoeSparky

Centurion
930 is for a generic federal building or courthouse. 39CFR232.1 is the one with the prohibition on postal property.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rich7553

930 is for a generic federal building or courthouse. 39CFR232.1 is the one with the prohibition on postal property.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I stand corrected. Thank you Joe!

The applicable rule says:

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may
carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either
openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for
official purposes.​

The interesting clause is "except for official purposes". Since the Supreme Court has determined that the right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defense is a fundamental and individual right, does that translate to an "official purpose"?

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
"official purpose"?

That State generally means 'official' as something that they do... 'Official' is the word used to separate the 'only ones' from lowly, unwashed 'us.'

Special, better than you, more deserving, superior, above, trumps your Rights, etc... That is what 'official' means.

Last edited: