• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visited Colorado Springs Last Saturday!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I usually spend most of my Saturdays hunting for gold. No, not sitting around rivers and streams with panning gear, but finding gold and silver jewelry that folks lose all over the state. And I have a great deal of success finding it too. This past Saturday, I found a gold bracelet and a gold medal with the Virgin of Guadalupe on it. Both items turned out to be 14k. Nice, eh?

So I went down to Colorado Springs in hopes of finding a bit of gold and/or silver down that-a-way. While in town, we stopped to eat at Famous Dave's. The time I spent in CS was, as is my custom, a day of open carry. On this particular outing, I had the Judge with me because some of the places I stumbled upon have snakes. I don't much fancy an encounter with a rattler without the Judge at my side.

Anyhow, I didn't find gold or silver down south, and only came away with a whole mess of coins (all modern).

But on a more positive note, I didn't find any snakes either. Better still, none of them found me!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Beau

That's a great pic. I used to have a detector when I was a kid. Found some cool stuff with it at the ball park. If I had the time it's something I would like to do again. Happy hunting!

Zakaris

Dang, wish I knew you were down here. I recently bought a detector to use as a post-retirement hobby and could gotten some one-on-one training.

M-Taliesin

What loads do you carry for defense against snakes?

Howdy Mahkagari!
.410 rounds with buckshot do nicely, I'd think. I've got those as well as PDX-1 .410 rounds.
Otherwise, I'd be left with having to hit the snake with my metal detector coil, which I'd find displeasing.
I need that coil for coin shooting, not snake bashing! LOL!

Where I figure snakes are likely, I'll load all 5 chambers with .410 rounds. Unless I figure bigger critters with attitude issues may be lurking. Like in the mountains. Then I'd likely want those .45 Colt longs in three of the chambers.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Where I figure snakes are likely, I'll load all 5 chambers with .410 rounds. Unless I figure bigger critters with attitude issues may be lurking. Like in the mountains. Then I'd likely want those .45 Colt longs in three of the chambers.

Do you alternate? Does anyone know where one of those charts for defensive loads are? I.e. in a shotgun, first is slug, next are X# shot, in a revolver first is hollowpoint, etc. I can't remember reccommendations.

JamesB

Do you alternate? Does anyone know where one of those charts for defensive loads are? I.e. in a shotgun, first is slug, next are X# shot, in a revolver first is hollowpoint, etc. I can't remember reccommendations.

Mine simply carries IQ hollowpoints, as many as will fit.