• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vancouver, wa Costco

purlrider

This is my first post so if this is redundant I apologize up front.

My One and I were in Costco Vancouver, wa the other day. About 15 minutes into the gig a manager and his assistant (I assume) came up to me and asked in a very polite manner if they could talk with me. He didn't get offensive, his voice was always low key( I am sure 1. not to annoy others of us and 2. if I got defensive and loud that would make me the bad guy). He asked if I were law enforcement (no) he said he assumed I had a concealed permit (yes). He informed us that Costco is a private club and their policy is no open carry in their store, but I could carry concealed. I replied " I looked for any posting that would tell me if there was a policy before entering". " that is not a requirement he said. So I took my shirt out of my pants and over the pistol (Ruger P345 Galco holster) and walked out of the store looking like I had a pistol shaped tumor on my right hip.

I am a newbie at this open carry thing. Normally when I know I am going someplace for the first time I check the internet for policies. This was an "oh yeah we need" moment. I believe in our rights to carry obviously. I also believe "they" have rights to make policies but it would be nice if they posted them.

Now if all of us that can open carry did, and all of us that can went to costco, and all of us walked out leaving a basket of revenue behind...I wonder if policy would change?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Yea, COSTCO has a no gun policy, however that said good luck finding that in writing. None of their membership brochures says anything to that effect. Also any bisiness can trespass you for any reason, to include guns. I just won't do business with those establishments (not that I've found any yet). I do have a COSTCO membership (put the flame throwers down please) to get gas. I don't like their policy, but with the price of gas right now they are the best deal. Also I do OC when I pump gas there, with no comment yet.

Teddybearfrmhell

happens here in the medford costco too..... i open carry every time i go..... if they comment i leave, without purchasing anything.

BUT when i return i open carry, no posted policy so i figure they have to catch me every time.... since i am not asked to leave, i cant be automatically trespassed either.....

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I believe Costco has been hostile to having legally carried firearms in their store. Generally if an employee tells me that such and such is a policy, I ask to see that policy in writing. Since Costco is a "private club" or whatever they claim, ask to see where you signed agreeing to this policy. If they don't have it, tell them you'll happily comply with their request to leave, but you'd like your membership fees back and your card torn up.

We-the-People

I believe Costco has been hostile to having legally carried firearms in their store. Generally if an employee tells me that such and such is a policy, I ask to see that policy in writing. Since Costco is a "private club" or whatever they claim, ask to see where you signed agreeing to this policy. If they don't have it, tell them you'll happily comply with their request to leave, but you'd like your membership fees back and your card torn up.

I may have to go get a costco card for just this reason.

hermannr

Yes Costco is a private membership club, and when you sign the membership agreement, you become part of that club.

No matter how many (if any, it has never happened to me personally) times the Costco management says something, the proper (IMHO) answer: Yes, I abide by all the rules set out in my "membership agreement" which is a binding contract on both parties, (have it with you) and it says nothing about firearms at all. Therefore I must assume that your corporation is like Sams club, Wal-Mart, Home Depot and other large chains that allow what the state law is.

If you want me to conceal, or you want me to leave, I would like my membership fees back, along with a letter from you Corporate stating under what written and approved corporate policy I cannot enter Costco, as a member, with a signed membership agreement that has no stated firearms policy. I abided by that agreement, and your manager broke that contract without cause, or reason. Then ask for the regional VP's phone number.

We-the-People

OR, you could just wear clothing over your weapon when you shop at Costco! (Whew! Glad I thought of that!)

That would assume that I have a concealed weapons permit on my person. My ID, drivers license, and permit ALL remain in my vehicle unless I am entering a place that, by law, requires me to have the permit. CostCo is not one of those places in the state of Oregon. And an FN Herstal 5.7x28 in level II Serpa, while it could be covered, would be fairly obvious. I OC and I OC exclusively.

Historyman1942

I may have to go get a costco card for just this reason.

You will like that I already confirmed that there is no provision in their membership application/policy that even talks about "weapons" or "guns"

Ref:
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/Member-Benefits-Costco-Services.pdf

Under the general policy section it only states

General Policies
• Shirts and shoes are required.
• Members are welcome to bring their children and up to
two guests into the warehouse, however, only Costco
members may purchase items.
• Parents are responsible for their children and should not
leave them unattended.
• Members are responsible for their guests and other
family members.
• Costco reserves the right to inspect any container,
backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the
warehouse.
• To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the
merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise
will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.
• Liquor and tobacco sales cannot be made to minors.

In case someone tries to say that there is more than just whats written in the general policy section to the application form I linked to.... I DID check the entire thing.

However under one section it states ".... Costco reserves the right to refuse membership to any
applicant and membership is revocable without cause." Go figure there would be that kind of craziness. The only debate might be if they must prorate a reimbursement.

But in that case this would likely mean something more substantial.

Risk-Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
• On Membership: We will refund your membership fee in
full at any time if you are dissatisfied.

Cheers!

Last edited:

purlrider

OR, you could just wear clothing over your weapon when you shop at Costco! (Whew! Glad I thought of that!)

Dude...Isn't one of the points civil liberties. I also cc in addition. Self defense is the primary, but this is more than that.

Ironbar

Dude...Isn't one of the points civil liberties. I also cc in addition. Self defense is the primary, but this is more than that.

No, the point is that the whole Costco issue has been discussed to death on this forum.

1) They don't have signs on the doors
2) They don't have an official written policy regarding guns in their membership pamphlet
3) They don't don't have an official written policy for store employees to show members when asked for the anti-gun policy
4) They will ask you leave the store if they see you OC-ing, which is THEIR civil liberty

Did I miss anything? What is the big deal anyway? I go to Costco, I CC. Whoop-dee-do.

Historyman1942

No, the point is that the whole Costco issue has been discussed to death on this forum.

Did I miss anything? What is the big deal anyway? I go to Costco, I CC. Whoop-dee-do.

1. I think its been well established its their civil liberty as well.

2. Nobody forces you to discuss it and engage on this thread.

3. Glad to know you CC places, I do to.

4. You still missing the point that others are wanting to discuss.

DocWalker

1) They don't have signs on the doors
2) They don't have an official written policy regarding guns in their membership pamphlet
3) They don't don't have an official written policy for store employees to show members when asked for the anti-gun policy
4) They will ask you leave the store if they see you OC-ing, which is THEIR civil liberty

It would be costco's civil liberty to not allow anyone with red shirts to shop in their store also. What about not letting anyone that is of Asian decent shopping there....wait there are laws that protect citizens from being discriminated against because of that. To bad there wasn't a law or document that speaks to general freedoms that are protected for everyone somewhere. Dam a document that said you couldn't be told to shut up, or incriminate yourself, or maybe protect you from a full body cavity search. Dam I should move to the USA if I want that...not the common weath of COSTCO.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
To bad there wasn't a law or document that speaks to general freedoms that are protected for everyone somewhere. Dam a document that said you couldn't be told to shut up, or incriminate yourself, or maybe protect you from a full body cavity search.

The constitution protects you from your government. Private organizations can and do discriminate, I support their ability to do so if they so choose.

hermannr

I am suport my ability to choose where I do business. As I have said, I have never been questioned, but i don't go there that much, or maybe they think I am a retired cop?

hermannr

I also support my ability to choose where I do business. As I have said, I have never been questioned, but I don't go there that much any more, or maybe they think I am a retired cop, or maybe the Costco store's I go to don't care?

DocWalker

I'm 100% agreed and believe a private buisness should be able to do buisness with and who they want. I'm just saying the Goverment has got out of hand. The guy in Texas that teaches concealed carry classes was flamed in the media and by the left for saying he won't teach anyone that voted for Obama. I was being sarcastic as the left uses all those discrimation laws and makes people out to be the bad guys that are not PC. I was trying to turn it around that they can't claim racisim or something like that for one thing and not use it for another.

Teddybearfrmhell

I'm 100% agreed and believe a private buisness should be able to do buisness with and who they want. I'm just saying the Goverment has got out of hand. The guy in Texas that teaches concealed carry classes was flamed in the media and by the left for saying he won't teach anyone that voted for Obama. I was being sarcastic as the left uses all those discrimation laws and makes people out to be the bad guys that are not PC. I was trying to turn it around that they can't claim racisim or something like that for one thing and not use it for another.

the guy in texas was also refusing to teach "muslims because since they aint christians, you cant trust em"..... just so we are all on the same page

PistolPackingMomma

I used to work for Costco, and as far as I know, their official "unofficial" policy is no weapons. Each location I've been to has signs posted. Good luck ever getting a definitive answer; I'm sure corporate doesn't want to alienate potential shoppers, which is why they are so ambiguous on the subject.

Last edited: