Thread: NEW to firearms please help with my questions.

NEW to firearms please help with my questions.

I am 26 years old, live in the state of Ohio and do not currently own a firearm because my rights where revoked in 2006 when I was charged with a misdemeanor drug possession of marijuana. Recently my rights have been restored thanks to HB 54 and I am eager to own my first firearm. I'm thinking a pistol for now, since I have a family, I'd like to protect them while we are home from enemies foreign and domestic. My questions I guess are pretty simple,
    1) Since I've had a past drug charge on my record, am I banned from obtaining a concealed weapons permit?
    2) if i am currently banned from a ccw would it make any difference if i have my record expunged? since it is the only charge ive ever received i can still petition the courts to seal my recored.

3) What exactly is "open carry" and what does it mean? what is allowed, as opposed to what isnt allowed.
    Thank you very much for your time in answering my questions.
    4) can i open carry in a motor vehicle or what is limits are imposed on carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle?

thank you very much for your responses, im trying to get informed so that i can do things legally

Quote Originally Posted by jondjames View Post

...im trying to get informed so that i can do things legally
    Yes, that's the way to go, alright. It simplifies life in every aspect.

Sorry, I cannot offer any insights, but you've come to the right place for assistance.

Good luck in your quest on how to do things decently and in order.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Short answer, get your MJ conviction expunged. Then buy a gun and get your CCW. Just my opinion.

You should have no problem with a petition for expungement of a misdemeanor, assuming no other criminal conduct. Once you have it done, you should be good to go with both buying a pistol and getting a CCW. Otherwise, with it on your record, you may well be denied. Even minor drug convictions are problematic. It should be a simple process in OH, as in most states, for the petition to be approved.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

i thought that hb54 restores my rights and allows me to own a firearm again, even with my misdemeanor marijuana possession???? am i missing something? when i go to purchase a pistol from lets say bass pro shop they cant deny me the right to purchase due to my petty record can they? if so what is the whole point of hb54 and restoring the rights of those with misdemeanor drug charges, if they will continue to treat me like a felon.

say i get my record expunged, and apply for a ccw, will the expunged drug charge hinder me from obtaining a ccw? ive seen the application before and it definitely asks if you've ever been convicted of a drug offense. if answering yes to that question does it automatically ban you from the permit??

Charge or CONVICTION?

Anybody can be charged with anything. Ask the Duke lacrosse team.

Were you CONVICTED or did you plead out? THAT is what matters.