• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Election Day 2011 - Tues 11/8/11 0600-1900

Repeater

If you're talking about the recent hoo-hah Tess, it wasn't big or even a hoo-hah.

The issue was with his support of Bill Janis for Henrico Commonwealths Attorney. Ken's suspension was only temporary and he should be back in good standing on Wednesday.
This was a very unusual situation because Bill didn't decide to run until the last minute. If he had made a Republican Bid earlier, he would have gotten it.

As a side note, when Bill announced his candidacy, he made a number of very pointed remarks about the need for honor, Etc. in a Commonwealths Attorney. He also asked me not to release Surry Side until after the election if I used them to discredit Poindexter.

I agreed!

Linwood Cobb, and all the other tools of the 7th District SCC, have only themselves to blame. They love to promote the 'Big Tent' nonsense --until it blows up in their collective faces.

The 'R' candidate, Matthew P. Geary, is an adulterer. God forbid a Republican adulterer should run for an important office.

Say, I wonder what Cantor, Cuccinelli, and Janis think of Gingrich?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Linwood Cobb, and all the other tools of the 7th District SCC, have only themselves to blame. They love to promote the 'Big Tent' nonsense --until it blows up in their collective faces.

The 'R' candidate, Matthew P. Geary, is an adulterer. God forbid a Republican adulterer should run for an important office.

Say, I wonder what Cantor, Cuccinelli, and Janis think of Gingrich?

That pretty much sums it up Repeater.
It's a little unsettling though. Despite the fact that Tess doesn't care for Cuccinelli, he's one of the best friends we ever had in the GA and even though many here are still upset over George Mason, he's still plugging the Constitution as it is supposed to be.

Janis is yet another friend in the GA that we're losing. He went into the CA race for a number of reasons including the pay increase, but he also entered it on moral grounds because of the questionable behavior of Geary.

If you read in between the lines of his campaign speeches, he says just that.

I really wish a 3rd party with enough money could recruit he GOOD Republicans and then we could get away from Cobb's folly.

Last edited:

mpg9999

Here in the 1st Senate District, Mickey Chohany is running against incumbent John Miller (D). As candidates go, Miller is the better public speaker, but don't be fooled. I think Chohany has a chance to oust Miller, and will make the better Senator.

I was annoyed by Chohany not filling out the VCDL survey. I called his campaign office today and it sounded like they felt it unnecessary since he has an A rating from the NRA. I would have hoped he would find the largest VA gun rights organization important enough to respond to, but apparently not.

No one at the Yancy office answered the phone today so I could ask why he didn't complete the VCDL survey. Hopefully they return my call tomorrow.

TFred

I was annoyed by Chohany not filling out the VCDL survey. I called his campaign office today and it sounded like they felt it unnecessary since he has an A rating from the NRA. I would have hoped he would find the largest VA gun rights organization important enough to respond to, but apparently not.

No one at the Yancy office answered the phone today so I could ask why he didn't complete the VCDL survey. Hopefully they return my call tomorrow.
Here's the thing about politicians: It's better for more people to choose them by a small margin than for less people to choose them by a lot.

I'm not saying that the VCDL surveys are bad, they most certainly do have their place. But when a candidate knows they have the support of that portion of the constituency, there very much does reach a point of diminishing returns if they keep pounding on single issues.

Again, don't take me wrong, VCDL is vitally important. It isn't in a position to win all the elections on its own.

This is the world of politics.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here's the thing about politicians: It's better for more people to choose them by a small margin than for less people to choose them by a lot.

I'm not saying that the VCDL surveys are bad, they most certainly do have their place. But when a candidate knows they have the support of that portion of the constituency, there very much does reach a point of diminishing returns if they keep pounding on single issues.

Again, don't take me wrong, VCDL is vitally important. It isn't in a position to win all the elections on its own.

TFred

That's true to a degree TFred, but the smart one's know that VCDL really wields the power in Va. The members are a lot more active than NRA people. That's one of the few beneficial things that came out of the Kilgore fiasco.

If it's a tight race the NRA won't save you unless you have VCDL support.

The NRA's policy of supporting the incumbent without a clear reason not to, has made many of their members ignore their recommendations.

TFred

The NRA's policy of supporting the incumbent without a clear reason not to, has made many of their members ignore their recommendations.
Yes, yes, yes, in fact, I suspect it has cost them members.

The NRA's failure to "score" Senate confirmation votes (US) and to consider the party leadership (VA) INFURIATES me! (And it takes quite a lot do to that...) How can any sane person possibly endorse a member of a party that puts Saslaw and Marsh into leadership roles, when they live for defeating any bill of interest? Ugh... dangerously close to bashing here... don't want to walk that line... but sheesh. This is common sense.

TFred

Repeater

"Bloombagging"

"Bloombagging" means Bloomberg carpetbagging in Virginia. He really hates gun choice. He's okay with abortion choice, however.

Here is the official VPAP report:

Michael R Bloomberg - Money Out
Contributions
$25,000 Puller for Senate - Linda
$25,000 Herring for Senate - Mark
$25,000 Miller for Senate - John
$25,000 Barker for Senate - George
$25,000 Favola for Senate - Barbara
$25,000 Marsden for Senate - David

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Gee, Isn't a surprise that all that up North meddling, anti Virginia money is going to NOVA..except one in Hampton, which is getting about as bad as NOVA!
:mad:

mpg9999

TFred

"If you are in the hip pocket of any political party, prepare to be sat on." ~ Gary North

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north833.html

I told the campaign manager I wouldn't vote for him if he didn't fill out the survey. She told me how bad the other guy is on gun rights and how Bloomberg donated 25k to his campaign. I guess she assumed that meant I'd be voting for his opponent, rather than none of the above. I'm still undecided at this point what I'll do.

mpg9999

If anyone wants to call his (Micky Chohany's, first district) campaign manager and ask that he fill out the VCDL survey, her name is Brandy Dyke and her number is 757-355-4493.

TFred

"If you are in the hip pocket of any political party, prepare to be sat on." ~ Gary North

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north833.html

I told the campaign manager I wouldn't vote for him if he didn't fill out the survey. She told me how bad the other guy is on gun rights and how Bloomberg donated 25k to his campaign. I guess she assumed that meant I'd be voting for his opponent, rather than none of the above. I'm still undecided at this point what I'll do.
All I can say is "Big Picture, Folks."

You have to make your decision, and that is all on you. A vote of "none of the above" is the exact same as a vote for the Bloomburg guy. The primary purpose of the survey is to bring out views when they are not known, or if the two candidates are close. If the positions are already crystal clear and quite different, then why give a fence-sitting voter, who may not be 100% "with us" on guns a reason to otherwise choose the opponent?

We all know politics is an ugly game. Until we (the collective we) get better at learning how to play, our progress will continue to be baby steps, taken every other year at a time.

Again... I support the VCDL wholeheartedly. The surveys are great. Just remember the BIG PICTURE.

Do you want to win, or do you want to feel good about losing??

TFred

Last edited:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
+1 TFred. Last I looked, Senator Vogel hadn't returned the petition either. Considering the handgun secured in a container in your vehicle bill that passed last year was HER bill, I think we can tell where she stands on 2A issues. She's got my vote (for the first time, I wasn't in her district before the redistricting after the 2010 census...)

Roscoe

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
+1 TFred. Last I looked, Senator Vogel hadn't returned the petition either. Considering the handgun secured in a container in your vehicle bill that passed last year was HER bill, I think we can tell where she stands on 2A issues. She's got my vote (for the first time, I wasn't in her district before the redistricting after the 2010 census...)

Roscoe

+1 TFred

roscoe, that's a very good point. Even though Vogel didn't return the survey, she is very much a friend of gun owners.
I've spent a considerable amount of time talking with her and at the Attorney General's Gala, she talked freely about her desire to get rid of many of the restrictive gun laws in Virginia.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
I see that in the 22nd Senate District, Dodson (of Dodson's Pest Control ) apparently didnt do the VCDL survey either, which makes it an easy choice.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
He has a great ad though!:lol:

Actually think his opponent's "counter" ad does more for him than his own ad does.

But then, anybody who runs on a platform of "but see how much worse the other guy is going to be" generally loses my vote. I'm nowhere as interested in what you are against as I am in what you are for. But so few candidates are "for" anything but getting elected/reelected.

stay safe.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Well, as of today, McEachin in Senate District 9 has some opposition.

Floyd Mays will be interviewed on AM1140 at 5pm. Tune in if you can. As far as gun rights go, I can't find much about the guy, but he claims to be a conservative, is a business owner, and I don't suppose he can be any worse than what McEachin gives us as far as support. He seems to have a decent amount of support for a surprise entry.

I'm hoping to get a better feel for the guy at 5pm...until then a couple links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1EYtdCARBY

https://www.facebook.com/FloydMaysVA

http://www.varight.com/news/va-demo...n-campaign-launched-by-republican-floyd-mays/

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Polls open at 6:00 AM tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 8th

................................VOTE !!

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Dirty tricks in 6th Senate district.

Dirty tricks by Northam campain workers. http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/signs-signs-political-signs

Another feud stems from claims of sign snatching in the 6th Senate District.
Republican Ben Loyola's staff says someone working for Sen. Ralph Northam, D-Norfolk, has removed their yard signs in spots around the district, including the Eastern Shore.
To back up that claim, Loyola aides posted an online video Sunday showing a Northam supporter on the Eastern Shore surrendering a few crumpled Loyola signs in the presence of a police officer that evening.
Northam's staff denied claims of widespread sign pilferage, saying the Loyola signs in the video were planted without permission on the property of an Accomack County landowner who wanted them removed.
But Loyola staffers say those aren't the only signs that have disappeared this fall. They suspect political opponents are the culprits, a charge Northam's staff denies.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just voted and McDougle and Peace are unopposed, voted Micky Mouse and Donald Duck for the unopposed Treasurer and Commissioner of Revenue.

Pretty much an easy vote except Supervisor and WiChek owns a gun and her mother owns a pink one:lol: