• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Election Day 2011 - Tues 11/8/11 0600-1900

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For those interested here is a link to the unofficial real-time results from the State Board of Elections.

https://www.voterinfo.sbe.virginia....D-4B0D-A295-900A0482F523/Unofficial/7_s.shtml

Looks like Democrats are on track to a two (2) seat majority if this continues - only would take a one district swing to put this in an even split. I may not sleep well tonight.

Don't understand the math in the following excerpt though:
Precincts Reporting: 84 of 59 (142.3%) :uhoh:
There are more than one like this too.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Still a long way to go. Only about half the results are in. Good news is the Republicans claimed the empty Senate seat. We only need three wins to take the Senate assuming the incumbents hold their seats.

Edit: To fix my numerous grammatical errors.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Still a long way to go. Only about half the results are in Goods new is Republicans claimed the empty Senate seat. We only need three wins to take the Senate assuming the incumbents hold their seats.

So very much is riding on this - so very, very much.

The whole country is watching this and I'm right there in the front row!

TFred

The numbers for Senate District 17 (triangle between Fredericksburg, Culpeper and just outside Charlottesville) have been jumping back and forth all night long.

SBE just put the last set up, with 100% of precincts reporting:

22,536 Reeves (R) Challenger
22,450 Houck (D) Incumbent
70 write-ins

Margin of victory: 86 votes out of 45,056 cast, or 0.19%

Recounts and lawsuits galore.

TFred

ETA: There was a little drama while waiting for the last precinct to be reported, apparently one report from Spotsylvania County had transposed the numbers, which resulted in a slight lead for Houck. Then after the last precinct was reported (with an 80 vote margin FOR Houck), the incorrect report was fixed, giving Reeves a final margin of victory of 86 votes. This is going to be fought for days yet.

Last edited:

DontTreadOnMeVa

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
This is too nerveracking. Polls have been closed for 5 hours. I need answers!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
He definitely comes with an (R) behind his name, but he also didn't stop the "Death subcommittees" each of the past two years, which consensus seems to have concluded he very well could have.

TFred

Bolling is a friend at least in theory and my guess is he will go against Saslaw if he has to make the vote.

On a slightly different note, the smaller local races OV was involved in went our way. They won't effect gun laws either way in the short run but the Treasurers office in Lunenburg tossed Christian Rickers. He admitted he was using the office as a stepping stone and since he was a Kaine employee, he would have been extremely dangerous in higher office.

Clayton kept his office in Surry, CA and Sheriff in Hanover were slam dunk and are pro gun. Hopefully Hanover will finally take out the trash in the department.

Last edited:

TFred

As of now, I'm showing 21 R - 19 D Senate seats....
The Free Lance-Star is counting it a tie at 20-20, assuming Reeves prevails. And of course, Houck is not going to give up for weeks.

TFred

The results of the 17th race will determine control of the Senate; if Reeves’ win holds, Republicans and Democrats are tied, with 20 seats each. That gives Republicans an edge in tied votes, as Republican Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling casts tie-breaking votes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Janis losing in Henrico is a surprise and not especially good. Overall he was a friend in the GA and would have been so as Commonwealths Attorney. He is neither now.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
With a 20/20 split, who is the majority party? Could not find the Senate Rule covering this.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
With a 20/20 split, who is the majority party? Could not find the Senate Rule covering this.

I'll find out in a half hour or so Grape.
I have to go to the Secretary of the Commonwealth anyway before I go back to the farm.