Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like another state will recognize our permit - Wisconsin.

Looks like another state will recognize our permit - Wisconsin.

Found this today on "Truth About Guns" blog/site.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ity-25-states/

Interesting.... Florida ain't on the list.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

The source...

WI DOJ
    States donít have rights. People do.

As a resident of CT I got my AZ permit about a year ago. AZ is honored by 30 other states. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf $60, all done through the mail, no classes or additional training required.

Quote Originally Posted by larch View Post
    no classes or additional training required.
    Quote Originally Posted by your link
    1. Once you have determined that you are qualified to obtain a concealed weapon permit, locate an
    organization that provides an approved CCW training course. The course is a minimum of 8 hours in
    length and is taught by a CWPU authorized instructor. You must qualify with a handgun firing live
    ammunition.
    Is this not true?

Arizona permit

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm
    N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
    So it isn't that they don't have a training requirement, it is that they will accept pretty much anything for their training requirement.

Rich,

I believe the accepted forms of training was expanded last September. I could be wrong on the date, but it has been expanded.

Please see the following excerpt:

##############

E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(a) A current or expired permit issued by the department of public safety pursuant to this section.

(b) An original or copy of a certificate, card or document that shows the applicant has ever completed any course or class prescribed by subsection N of this section or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club or organization that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the applicant's completion of the course or class.

(c) An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (DD-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 5 of this section.

(d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

################

The entire write-up is found here: http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm

ETA: Oops, you beat me to it.
    Last edited by dogsandhogs; 10-24-2011 at 08:46 PM.

As a resident of CT I got my AZ permit about a year ago. AZ is honored by 30 other states. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf $60, all done through the mail, no classes or additional training required.
    As a resident of PA I got my CT permit about 2 years ago...because CT doesn't honor any other permit. Then got my AZ permit...oh and UT too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    So it isn't that they don't have a training requirement, it is that they will accept pretty much anything for their training requirement.

Including a copy of your CT permit.

Is this not true?
    That 8 hour requirement is modeled around the NRA Basic Handgun course, which is the same course you took for your CT Pistol permit.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmdon View Post
    That 8 hour requirement is modeled around the NRA Basic Handgun course, which is the same course you took for your CT Pistol permit.
    Right. But it is not accurate to say that Arizona has no training requirement for their permit.

I say this because looking at how many states accept their permit, it would be impossible for them to not have a training requirement on the books. Most states will only accept a permit from another state if that state has a training requirement.

I may go for this permit...

Right. But it is not accurate to say that Arizona has no training requirement for their permit.

I say this because looking at how many states accept their permit,
    I took a tour of many states that people say honor AZ's permit. I agree, there are many, but.... I've seen a lot of comments on state sites that seem to be directed at states like AZ, UT and FL. Many have a caveat added that the permit holder must be a resident of that state for it to be honored.

Is this not a growing trend?

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

I say this because looking at how many states accept their permit, it would be impossible for them to not have a training requirement on the books. Most states will only accept a permit from another state if that state has a training requirement.

I may go for this permit...
    It's definitely easy enough to get. Application, fingerprints, $60, and copy of your CT permit. Turn around time is less than 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    I took a tour of many states that people say honor AZ's permit. I agree, there are many, but.... I've seen a lot of comments on state sites that seem to be directed at states like AZ, UT and FL. Many have a caveat added that the permit holder must be a resident of that state for it to be honored.

Is this not a growing trend?

Jonathan

CO, FL, ME, MI, NH and SC are the only states that require the permit holder to be a resident of the states that they honor.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    It's definitely easy enough to get. Application, fingerprints, $60, and copy of your CT permit. Turn around time is less than 2 months.

CO, FL, ME, MI, NH and SC are the only states that require the permit holder to be a resident of the states that they honor.
    Sweet, so just like my NH. Except when I got my NH permit, it was 20 bucks. Those were the days...

Must be why I thought a trend.... NH and ME are two states I spend a lot of time in. NH is relatively easy for an out of state permit. Friend just got one in two weeks.

Jonathan

Must be why I thought a trend.... NH and ME are two states I spend a lot of time in. NH is relatively easy for an out of state permit. Friend just got one in two weeks.

Jonathan
    Both allow OC without a permit.

Sweet, so just like my NH. Except when I got my NH permit, it was 20 bucks. Those were the days...
    AZ renewals are $43

AZ renewals are $43
    How often?

How often?
    5 yrs.

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/

That is a decent deal.

Beats our neighbor to the north.

MA want's what, a hundred bucks a year and a personal appearance when you renew, right?

Jonathan

Beats our neighbor to the north.

MA want's what, a hundred bucks a year and a personal appearance when you renew, right?

Jonathan
    $100/year and personal appearance for initial app AND each renewal.

Rich, I never said AZ has "no training requirement". I said there was no "additional training required". I said this assuming people reading this board have a CT permit. Your CT permit and the NRA course required to get your CT permit satifies AZ's requirements to get a permit from AZ, hence, no additional training required. This is unlike UT who requires you to take a UT specific class to get their non-resident permit even if you have a permit in your home state.
    Last edited by larch; 10-25-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Rich, I never said AZ has "no training requirement". I said there was no "additional training required". I said this assuming people reading this board have a CT permit. Your CT permit OR the NRA course required to get your CT permit satifies AZ's requirements to get a permit from AZ, hence, no additional training required. This is unlike UT who requires you to take a UT specific class to get their non-resident permit even if you have a permit in your home state.
    Fixed that for you.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Big deal, Arizona recognizes Connecticut's license/permit/whatever. The question is, will Connecticut recognize Arizona's in return?

Is this not true?
    A couple of years ago, I got a UT and FL license. After the fact I did a comparison and found that the UT only got me a couple of states that FL did not. And UT did not get me FL, which is significant.

Don't hold me to it, but I believe that if things have not changed since I got my licenses, FL is the way to go. Its about $120 for 7 years but gets you the most states along the east coast that you are likely to encounter.

The thing is FL doesn't honor other states' non-resident permits. So a FL permit is the most useful if you live in the northeast and may visit FL.

I'm going to pass on my NH renewal since I can legally carry openly in NH and they've raised their fee from somewhere around $25 to over $100.

So for my dollar, its going to be FL only, and maybe RI, I'm hoping I can get one there since I'm now a FFL and have an interest in some R/E there.

Either way, it was nice to be able to carry. My wife did a Half Ironman in Sept. With my FL permit I was able to legally carry in PA, where we were staying, and in DE where the race was. I stowed everything in compliance with FOPA for the trip through NY and NJ, but other than that all was good.

Don

Don,

The pistol license for New Hampshire non-residents is $100. OC is legal without a license here, however loaded OC in a motor-vehicle does require a license. You also have the option of unloaded CC being legal here without license.

This is all likely soon moot as constitutional carry is about to pass. When this happens, loaded CC/OC inside/outside of a motor vehicle should be legal with no permission required from the State, as it should be.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast