• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looks like another state will recognize our permit - Wisconsin.

Rich B

no classes or additional training required.

your link said:
1. Once you have determined that you are qualified to obtain a concealed weapon permit, locate an
organization that provides an approved CCW training course. The course is a minimum of 8 hours in
length and is taught by a CWPU authorized instructor. You must qualify with a handgun firing live
ammunition.

Is this not true?

Rich B

Arizona permit

http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm said:
N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

So it isn't that they don't have a training requirement, it is that they will accept pretty much anything for their training requirement.

dogsandhogs

Rich,

I believe the accepted forms of training was expanded last September. I could be wrong on the date, but it has been expanded.

Please see the following excerpt:

##############

E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(a) A current or expired permit issued by the department of public safety pursuant to this section.

(b) An original or copy of a certificate, card or document that shows the applicant has ever completed any course or class prescribed by subsection N of this section or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club or organization that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the applicant's completion of the course or class.

(c) An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (DD-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 5 of this section.

(d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

################

The entire write-up is found here: http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm

ETA: Oops, you beat me to it.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

As a resident of CT I got my AZ permit about a year ago. AZ is honored by 30 other states. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf $60, all done through the mail, no classes or additional training required.

As a resident of PA I got my CT permit about 2 years ago...because CT doesn't honor any other permit. :rolleyes: Then got my AZ permit...oh and UT too.

So it isn't that they don't have a training requirement, it is that they will accept pretty much anything for their training requirement.

Including a copy of your CT permit.

Rich B

That 8 hour requirement is modeled around the NRA Basic Handgun course, which is the same course you took for your CT Pistol permit.

Right. But it is not accurate to say that Arizona has no training requirement for their permit.

I say this because looking at how many states accept their permit, it would be impossible for them to not have a training requirement on the books. Most states will only accept a permit from another state if that state has a training requirement.

I may go for this permit...

KIX

Right. But it is not accurate to say that Arizona has no training requirement for their permit.

I say this because looking at how many states accept their permit,

I took a tour of many states that people say honor AZ's permit. I agree, there are many, but.... I've seen a lot of comments on state sites that seem to be directed at states like AZ, UT and FL. Many have a caveat added that the permit holder must be a resident of that state for it to be honored.

Is this not a growing trend?

Jonathan

mrjam2jab

I say this because looking at how many states accept their permit, it would be impossible for them to not have a training requirement on the books. Most states will only accept a permit from another state if that state has a training requirement.

I may go for this permit...

It's definitely easy enough to get. Application, fingerprints, $60, and copy of your CT permit. Turn around time is less than 2 months.

I took a tour of many states that people say honor AZ's permit. I agree, there are many, but.... I've seen a lot of comments on state sites that seem to be directed at states like AZ, UT and FL. Many have a caveat added that the permit holder must be a resident of that state for it to be honored.

Is this not a growing trend?

Jonathan

CO, FL, ME, MI, NH and SC are the only states that require the permit holder to be a resident of the states that they honor.

Rich B

It's definitely easy enough to get. Application, fingerprints, $60, and copy of your CT permit. Turn around time is less than 2 months.

CO, FL, ME, MI, NH and SC are the only states that require the permit holder to be a resident of the states that they honor.

Sweet, so just like my NH. Except when I got my NH permit, it was 20 bucks. Those were the days...

KIX

Must be why I thought a trend.... NH and ME are two states I spend a lot of time in. NH is relatively easy for an out of state permit. Friend just got one in two weeks.

Jonathan

KIX

Beats our neighbor to the north.

MA want's what, a hundred bucks a year and a personal appearance when you renew, right?

Jonathan