• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jury selected for gun rights advocate's homicide trial

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/132491203.html
Vielmetti - EXCERPT said:
His trial began with jury selection Monday before Circuit Judge Richard Sankovitz. Two men, African Americans from Milwaukee, said they owned hand guns which they kept at home for protection. Neither of them were selected to the jury of eight men and five women who will hear the case. Also struck were two peoplea who knew homicide victims, one whose nephew is charged with shooting his girlfriend, a man who said a friend had been run over by a police officer in Los Angeles, and a woman who was on a prior jury that acquitted the defendant in an attempted homicide case. No potential jurors said they felt strongly about the current gun rights debates one way or the other, or belonged to any gun rights or gun control advocacy groups.

TyGuy

So much for a jury of your peers. Let's dump all gun owners from the jury. Sheesh.

M

McX

I would want a jury of my peers to include pro-gunners, or at least gun owners, stricken only if their guns were nicer than mine.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
For those that forgot history - a "jury of one's peers" was a jury of lords enpaneled to hear a criminal charge against another lord, as opposed to having commoners sit on the jury. Yes, that meaning of the word "peer" as opposed to what we commonly think of these days.

It was an attempt (feeble and highly flawed) to obtain an impartial jury, based on the presumption that because the lords (peers) trampled over the rights of the commoners the commoners would retaliate when they held power by sitting on a jury.

The problem is not that gunnies got weeded out of the jury pool, as they are known to be biased. The problem (actually two of them) is that antis are not weeded out of the jury pool and that most folks who can both be impartial and are bright enough to see through the propaganda of both the prosecution and defense and concentrate on applying facts to law try with all their might to get out of jury duty.

stay safe.