• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you have a CCW, the Court House can store your weapon during your visit.

Makarov

Note paragraph (6)...the storage service applies if you have a CCW. The storage requirement although is an optional service of the court house; I would ask before attempting this!

2923.123 Illegal conveyance of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into courthouse - illegal possession or control in courthouse.

(A) No person shall knowingly convey or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a courthouse or into another building or structure in which a courtroom is located.

(B) No person shall knowingly possess or have under the person’s control a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a courthouse or in another building or structure in which a courtroom is located.

(C) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Except as provided in division (E) of this section, a judge of a court of record of this state or a magistrate;

(2) A peace officer, officer of a law enforcement agency, or person who is in either of the following categories:

(3) A person who conveys, attempts to convey, possesses, or has under the person’s control a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance that is to be used as evidence in a pending criminal or civil action or proceeding;

(4) Except as provided in division (E) of this section, a bailiff or deputy bailiff of a court of record of this state who is authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to section 109.77 of the Revised Code, who possesses or has under that individual’s control a firearm as a requirement of that individual’s duties, and who is acting within the scope of that individual’s duties at the time of that possession or control;

(5) Except as provided in division (E) of this section, a prosecutor, or a secret service officer appointed by a county prosecuting attorney, who is authorized to carry a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in the performance of the individual’s duties, who possesses or has under that individual’s control a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance as a requirement of that individual’s duties, and who is acting within the scope of that individual’s duties at the time of that possession or control;

(6) Except as provided in division (E) of this section, a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into a courthouse or into another building or structure in which a courtroom is located, who, at the time of the conveyance or attempt, is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, and who transfers possession of the handgun to the officer or officer’s designee who has charge of the courthouse or building. The officer shall secure the handgun until the licensee is prepared to leave the premises. The exemption described in this division applies only if the officer who has charge of the courthouse or building provides services of the nature described in this division. An officer who has charge of the courthouse or building is not required to offer services of the nature described in this division.

Brian D.

I think from the earliest days of the Ohioans For Concealed Carry forums (established the same year the CH licenses were first issued, 2004) there was one member who said his county's courthouse would provide the handgun lock up service for licensees. I have no recollection of which county it was, and no idea if it's still being done. That forumite has long since stopped posting there.

So while you're correct about this part of the law in theory, actual practice of it by courthouses across the state has been somewhere between miniscule and non-existent.

Makarov

I could see that mandatory at all court houses but the problem is also the signage on the building! I could you see some one come in with their gun on and ask...oops they dont provide the service and your going to jail.