• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yellow Cat Visits Wisconsin - Again (Maybe the last time for awhile.)

jpm84092

The Yellow Cat has business on the East Coast in two weeks, but his employer has agreed to pay to have him travel back to Salt Lake Via Milwaukee. Thus, if I offer courses, I cannot take my fake guns, any real guns, or my projector. But, if can get a volunteer to offer a modern flat screen TV with a computer port, I can offer NRA Classes, or the UT Concealed Firearms Permit Course. (Same discount rates as before for UT CFP Course = $10 for Military Order of the Purple Heart or DAV - $15 for CIB or other proof on combat experience - $20 for Military Vet without combat experience - $20 for NRA + WI Carry (Spouse +$5) - $25 for NRA OR Wi Carry (Spouse +$5) - $30 for any 2A group membership (Spouse +$5) - and $40 for no military experience + no membership in NRA or WI Carry.) The UT CFP gives you 30 more States than currently recognize the WI Permit.

My attitude is that to get as many law abiding citizens interested in carrying a concealed firearm for their personal protection and that of their loved ones, NRA courses and UT CFP courses are more important than my advanced courses, but if nobody signs up for the basic courses, I will offer "Golfing With Glocks". Or, if you want a CERT that counts, perhaps NRA Personal Protection In The Home (if I have an outdoor range and somebody wants to build a plywood wall to simulate an inside the home wall.). I will also need an outdoor range to teach "Golfing with Glocks".

I can teach Thursday, November 10, 2011 from 2 - 6 - or - Friday, November 11, from 2 - 6 - or Saturday, November 12 - from 10 to (whenever).

I will be having a fish dinner for lunch in Mukwonago on Friday the 11th for those who want to join a Vietnam Vet for lunch on Veteran's day, (The Alaskan Crab is to "die for" at Blue Bay in Mukwonago.)

Please provide course requests to this thread.

Carry on Friends, proudly carry on.

Yellow Cat Out -

bluehighways

Yellow Cat with the M4:

I am VERY interested in taking the Utah concealed carry course. I wanted to take up on some of your previous offers, but I was always forced into working (we have been so busy, my employers won't let anyone take vacation time).

I am available on November 12, anytime, all day. I live 4 hours north of Milwaukee and would be happy to drive down and meet up at whatever time works for you. I am a WCI member as well.

Please let me know.

Thanks - bluehighways

Packfanatic

+1000

The Yellow Cat has business on the East Coast in two weeks, but his employer has agreed to pay to have him travel back to Salt Lake Via Milwaukee. Thus, if I offer courses, I cannot take my fake guns, any real guns, or my projector. But, if can get a volunteer to offer a modern flat screen TV with a computer port, I can offer NRA Classes, or the UT Concealed Firearms Permit Course. (Same discount rates as before for UT CFP Course = $10 for Military Order of the Purple Heart or DAV - $15 for CIB or other proof on combat experience - $20 for Military Vet without combat experience - $20 for NRA + WI Carry (Spouse +$5) - $25 for NRA OR Wi Carry (Spouse +$5) - $30 for any 2A group membership (Spouse +$5) - and $40 for no military experience + no membership in NRA or WI Carry.) The UT CFP gives you 30 more States than currently recognize the WI Permit.

My attitude is that to get as many law abiding citizens interested in carrying a concealed firearm for their personal protection and that of their loved ones, NRA courses and UT CFP courses are more important than my advanced courses, but if nobody signs up for the basic courses, I will offer "Golfing With Glocks". Or, if you want a CERT that counts, perhaps NRA Personal Protection In The Home (if I have an outdoor range and somebody wants to build a plywood wall to simulate an inside the home wall.). I will also need an outdoor range to teach "Golfing with Glocks".

I can teach Thursday, November 10, 2011 from 2 - 6 - or - Friday, November 11, from 2 - 6 - or Saturday, November 12 - from 10 to (whenever).

I will be having a fish dinner for lunch in Mukwonago on Friday the 11th for those who want to join a Vietnam Vet for lunch on Veteran's day, (The Alaskan Crab is to "die for" at Blue Bay in Mukwonago.)

Please provide course requests to this thread.

Carry on Friends, proudly carry on.

Yellow Cat Out -

I took his class. He is the best you will get! sign up and get into his class!

Outdoorsman1

Jim.... Check your PM's.... PM sent.

I am also a proud graduate if Jim's Utah Permit class (I have my permit in my wallet as I am typing this), as well as his NRA Basic Handgun course (Certificate framed and hanging on the wall). His classes are the way to go. His caring about the people goes beyond the norm and his multiple qualifications speak for themselves.

Outdoorsman1

rcav8r

The way I understand it, come Nov. 1st, Utah will no longer honor a out of state permit for WI residents because we "now" have a permit system?
If so, then the only reason to get a UT permit is for those states that WI doesn't recognize?

Outdoorsman1

The way I understand it, come Nov. 1st, Utah will no longer honor a out of state permit for WI residents because we "now" have a permit system?
If so, then the only reason to get a UT permit is for those states that WI doesn't recognize?

Which is one of the reasons I got the permit and I think a good reason in and of itself... and oh yea.. Jim's pricing cannot be beat...

Actually, after Nov. 1, you will need a WI Permit (WI resident) to obatin a Utah Permit, but I think that the DOJ has included UTAH on the list of states that WI. will recognize which means that Utah will also recognize a WI permit... I could be wrong... sometimes I get so confused.... :eek:

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Mlutz

I'm interested in golfing with glocks, let me know when/if you do it, I might make the 6 hour drive. :)

Mlutz

Which is one of the reasons I got the permit and I think a good reason in and of itself... and oh yea.. Jim's pricing cannot be beat...

Actually, after Nov. 1, you will need a WI Permit (WI resident) to obatin a Utah Permit, but I think that the DOJ has included UTAH on the list of states that WI. will recognize which means that Utah will also recognize a WI permit... I could be wrong... sometimes I get so confused.... :eek:

Outdoorsman1

Long story short, not necessarily. For example, Wisconsin will honor a California permit, but there is no way in (fill in blank with terrible place here) they will honor Wisconsin licences.

Outdoorsman1

Long story short, not necessarily. For example, Wisconsin will honor a California permit, but there is no way in (fill in blank with terrible place here) they will honor Wisconsin licences.

Ok... Like I said
" could be wrong... sometimes I get so confused...."

But.. I was talking about the Utah Permit specifically... I have no idea about other states stuff as I already have the Utah..... good enough for me.

Outdoorsman1

jpm84092

Yellow Cat Courses

OK, so far I have one request for UT CFP and one for "golfing with glocks". My thinking is I would rather teach the basic UT CFP Course and get more WI Citizens the training they need to apply for a WI Permit. But, I have not ruled out the "golfing with Glocks" course - or any NRA Course. Please understand however that my ability to take NRA Course packets, ammo, my own Glocks, a "blue gun" or anything that I can not put on my notebook computer is extremely limited. Even if I teach UT CFP, if I have more than one or two students, I will need a flat screen TV or projector to display the slides. (I will be traveling by air - and through New Jersey, so I dare not even take an expended shell with me.)

By the time the course is held, UT will be requiring a WI permit to apply for a UT Permit. This is because WI is recognizing the UT Permit. And, UT will recognize the WI permit as they recognize any permit issued by any lawful issuing entity.

However, the UT permit course is still relevant. It can meet the WI training requirements.

1) It is a four hour course. - 2) It teaches firearms familiarity and safety within the meaning of WI JUS 17.03(8) (Firearms familiarity is taught using the NRA's Basic Pistol Course slides) - taught by an instructor certified by a Law Enforcement Agency (Utah BCI) and an NRA Instructor, and thus an Instructor certified by a National or State Organization within the meaning of WI JUS 17.03(13) and is "instructor led" within the meaning of WI JUS 17.03(9) - and - 3) just because MN permits will be recognized in WI does not mean that WI permits will be recognized in MN. MI will honor all WI resident permits as will IA, but IL is a "you must die if attacked" state. The principal utility of the UT permit is interstate travel - and - GOD FORBID - if WI eventually requires recurrent training to renew a WI permit. Life is all about changes and even those who do not believe they will ever leave WI may find themselves handicapped when traveling unless they have multiple permits. Even if my students do not apply for the UT permit, I have created a Certificate that meets the WI DOJ requirements. And, if you take the UT CFP Course, you have one year to decide whether or not to apply for a UT Permit.

I do not begrudge my fellow instructors in WI their right to make a living, but my discounted fees are meant to encourage folks who think quality training is outside their financial means to get such training and in doing so become more responsible citizens who carry a concealed firearm for their own protection and the protection of others.

As is my practice, all former students may "audit" any class they have already taken and receive additional hands-on instruction "for no cost" (except for chipping in for lunch for the instructor).

Carry on my friends - proudly carry on.

Yellow Cat Out -

Cobra469

If it is held on Saturday I can bring my 32" LCD TV again like last time. I can also provide a Glock for training and maybe get a .22 revolver if they are needed as training aids. I have taken the Utah course as well as Basic Pistol with you so I wouldn't need any study materials as I can bring my own. If I don't have any work I may be able to do other days but Saturday is the only sure bet for me.

MKEgal

AFAIK right now, I could help with any day.
Would definitely be interested in the fish dinner.
And am of course interested in the golf lesson, if I don't get enough when I'm visiting SLC.

I have a projector,
& laptop,
& the NRA-issued course support videos.
I think using the TV might give better picture quality.

jpm84092

Yellow Cat Class Update

The count remains:

1 student requesting UT CFP

1 student requesting golfing with Glocks (Requires an outdoor range of 100+ yards, whose owner does not mind lead into the ground. In UT, we do this in the desert on BLM land. So far, I do not have access to such a range. - I also will need to borrow a firearm to show point shooting technique.

I know most WI Residents are now concentrating on the WI Carry License, and I fully understand this, but the UT Concealed Firearm Permit is still relevant to WI Residents due to reciprocity. As of this date, only the few states that recognize any state's permit will be recognizing Wisconsin's.

MKEgal will have taken and passed the UT CFP Instructor Course by the time I return. If her Permit arrives before the course, she will be an assistant instructor. If she does not have her permit yet, she will be an apprentice instructor (on the strength of her UT BCI Course Completion Certificate), but will receive NRA Credit hours for the course. If her UT BCI permit arrives late, but was issued before the course date, she will be an assistant instructor. Once again, thanks MKEgal for you generous offer to help.

Cobra469 has graciously offered his big screen TV for the course. Thanks Cobra. I appreciate your offer and even more that you want to devote time to a refresher course. MKEgal may bring her projector as "back up".

Even though I have only one student so far for UT CFP, I will put on the course for that one student. Otherwise, everything I have posted to date would brand me a 2A hypocrite.

By way of review:

Students wishing to take the UT CFP Course must have the State of Utah Official Training Materials. I need to verify that you have this course material so you can either print it out - or show me on a laptop or notebook that you have it.

Link: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/MTC20115162011.pdf

Students also need to download the UT CFP Application:

Link: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/CFPapp0811.pdf - Please fill this out prior to the class.

You will need a WI ID to prove that you are the person listed on the UT CFP Application.

You will need a to provide your Fingerprints on a UT Card (which I will supply). Any WI Law Enforcement Agency can do this for you.

You will need a Passport Photo (Walgreens will do this for $9 for two passport photos - you can use the second one to apply for any other State's CFP.)

If the class remains small, I will take some time at the end to provide current and former students with practical tips for concealed carry and some instruction on very close quarter gun-fighting (using blue or orange guns). If the class is small and we have the time, I will also teach handgun retention in a gunfight situation. I can also teach use of a handgun as a non-lethal weapon in hand-to-hand combat.

MKEgal has indicated that she will join me on Friday, 11-11-11 at noon for "lunch with a Vietnam Vet" at Blue Bay in Mukwonago. (Just off I-43 in Mukwonago on County ES.) I will be joined by my friend who owns the hanger I use to teach - and he is an Air Force Vet. The baked Alaskan Cod at Blue Bay is like nothing I have ever had elsewhere (except for what I have baked at home). It is adorned with a crab sauce and I typically order it with hash browns. The portions are such that it is at least a 2 meal delight. Anyone else wishing to join us, please PM me so that I get a table large enough.

The Yellow Cat is now committed to teaching UT CFP on Saturday, 11-12-11 from 10am - 2 pm. Other Saturday classes may follow if enough students sign up. Personalized instruction is available on Thursday, 11-10-11 after 2pm and on Friday 11-11-11 all day except for the lunch mentioned above. I cannot instruct on Sunday the 13th of November because I have to get on a plane in MKE and go to SLC.

Yellow Cat Out -

x_il_towman

Hello all

long time lurker, first time posted..

I have a question. Will you accept a FIB in your course??

Looks like I will be heading up that weekend(11-12) to the Appleton area from IL to winterize the cottage we have there & would love the opportunity to attend.

Thanks

Kc.38

Yellow Cat: I thank you for your offer and my wife and I would like to attend your UT CFP class on either the 11/11/11 or 11/12/11. We will be driving from the Wausau area so it will be difficult to provide you with props. I will be checking with some other 2A loving friends and maybe we can recruit more people.

MKEgal

towman - Welcome aboard to our newest FIB! :D
Yes, we even accept "your type". LOL

Jim said:
If the class remains small, I will take some time at the end to provide current and former students with practical tips for concealed carry and some instruction on very close quarter gun-fighting (using blue or orange guns). If the class is small and we have the time, I will also teach handgun retention in a gunfight situation. I can also teach use of a handgun as a non-lethal weapon in hand-to-hand combat.
:: ears perk up ::
Oh, please. Yes. I've been wanting to learn this.
Have orange gun, will travel.

Last edited: