• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yellow Cat Visits Wisconsin - Again (Maybe the last time for awhile.)

jpm84092

Hello all

long time lurker, first time posted..

I have a question. Will you accept a FIB in your course??

Looks like I will be heading up that weekend(11-12) to the Appleton area from IL to winterize the cottage we have there & would love the opportunity to attend.

Thanks

Welcome to the Wisconsin Carry dot ORG forum. Even though you are an IL resident, you have the potential to learn a lot from the members of this forum. And, since you are a part time resident of WI (visiting your cabin), having a UT Permit as an IL resident will give you the right to carry a concealed firearm for your personal protection and the protection of loved ones while you are in WI.

The Yellow Cat is an equal opportunity personal defense instructor and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, ethnicity, or FIB status. (Glad you have a sense of humor with respect to what WI residents call IL residents. The FIB moniker is due, in no small way, to the attitude of 20-something IL residents who invade Lake Geneva and Lauderdale Lakes from Memorial Day through Labor Day.) There will be no FIB surcharge, but please do expect some well intentioned ribbing.

Student #2 has spoken (and perhaps will bring his wife). Please see my earlier post and download the class materials. Bring the wife and get her into the course. (Keep in mind that a Concealed Firearm Permit does not mean you have to carry a firearm, but it gives you the right to in States that honor a given permit.)

Yellow Cat Out-

jpm84092

What class is that curriculum part of? I ask because I hold a Utah CFP and wasn't taught those things.

The courses I have written about are not part of the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Course Curriculum. They are not part of any NRA Course either. These are specialized courses I have developed based on my other qualifications which include First Degree Black Belt - Tae Kwon Do, and other courses I have taken; either as the result of my former involvement in Law Enforcement or as the result of training I have taken over the years to better improve my skills

Some of my former students may "audit" the UT CFP Course for free because, as Paul Fisher put it after he re-took the course, he got so much more out of the second presentation even though little had changed. Some of my other students may audit this course because, if the course attendance is small in number, I may do supplemental courses (eg: handgun retention - non-lethal use of a handgun - survival strategies in an armed confrontation, etc). I have not thought out a fee structure, so I think I will "fly by the seat of my pants" and if I do supplemental courses, I will use the "jar method" - that is, put into the jar what you think the course was worth.

Dave - you were not "ripped off". The courses I am talking about are new courses that I have never offered in Wisconsin, but which I do teach in UT. (Another example is "Golfing With Glocks".)

Carry on -

Yellow Cat Out -

jpm84092

Yellow Cat With More Course Info

Yellow Cat: I thank you for your offer and my wife and I would like to attend your UT CFP class on either the 11/11/11 or 11/12/11. We will be driving from the Wausau area so it will be difficult to provide you with props. I will be checking with some other 2A loving friends and maybe we can recruit more people.

Hello KC

Unless you wish to arrange a special course on Friday afternoon after lunch (11-11-11) I will see you on Saturday, 11-12-11. PM me for a personalized course that would begin with lunch at noon on Friday and with the course then going from 1pm - 5 pm. (Utah mandates a 4 hour course.) And, I welcome any of your friends. My UT course fees are unmatched in the State of Wisconsin, but they have had an effect in WI. Many instructors have responded by offering their courses at lower fees. My fees ($10 for military with purple heart or DAV - through $40 for somebody who has never joined a 2A group - are yet unmatched, but I suppose if I come back often enough, they will have to be.) (In UT, my fees have resulted in many UT instructors lowering their fees by $5 - $10 per course.)

The course will be held at the East Troy Airport, State Highway 20 at County Highway L (Exit US-43 at Highway 20 - airport is in plain view as you do so). There is a security gate that needs to be opened. PM me for my phone number (it is still a WI Cell). There is a Park-N-Ride at the Airport and I will be sending MKEgal to the Park-N-Ride at exactly 10am to bring students onto the airport and to the classroom.

I have not said this in any of my earlier posts about this class, but NO LIVE AMMUNITION IN MY CLASSROOM. All demonstration and student participation with respect to the safe loading and unloading of semiautomatic pistols and revolvers will be done using NRA "snap caps" (inert ammunition).

Mlutz

I really dont have a glock... But, I have a S&W sigma, that Glock sued S&W over, could I still attend? :p

x_il_towman

towman - Welcome aboard to our newest FIB! :D
Yes, we even accept "your type". LOL

jpm84092 said:
The Yellow Cat is an equal opportunity personal defense instructor and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, ethnicity, or FIB status. (Glad you have a sense of humor with respect to what WI residents call IL residents. The FIB moniker is due, in no small way, to the attitude of 20-something IL residents who invade Lake Geneva and Lauderdale Lakes from Memorial Day through Labor Day.) There will be no FIB surcharge, but please do expect some well intentioned ribbing.

Thank you...

Believe me when I say it wouldn't be the first time I wasn't proud my residency & with the current state of the housing market,

Looks like I'm Gonna be a FIB alot longer than I want...:cuss:

jpm84092 said:
The course will be held at the East Troy Airport, State Highway 20 at County Highway L (Exit US-43 at Highway 20 - airport is in plain view as you do so). There is a security gate that needs to be opened. PM me for my phone number (it is still a WI Cell). There is a Park-N-Ride at the Airport and I will be sending MKEgal to the Park-N-Ride at exactly 10am to bring students onto the airport and to the classroom.

PM on the way...

kc9sbd

Yellow Cat Utah Class

I would like to attend the saturday class if possible. Please let me know what pricing will be, your description was a tad confusing. I am a wisconsin carry member if that helps any. And where would the class be held at?

Last edited:

jpm84092

I would like to attend the saturday class if possible. Please let me know what pricing will be, your description was a tad confusing. I am a wisconsin carry member if that helps any. And where would the class be held at?

Please re-read the entire post. There is a complete description of pricing already posted to this thread. The location (East Troy Airport) is also posted to this thread including directions to get there. (Just off I-43 at the Highway 20 exit.) The course times have been posted. The links to the course materials have been posted (class materials and UT CFP Application). The need to limit vehicles at the hanger has been posted and the need to have students initially park at the airport park-n-ride has been posted. The dates and times have been posted (Sat, 11-12-11 10am - 2pm - or later depending on student questions.)

I am not trying to be a smart a**, but everything you have asked has already been answered in the thread.

jpm84092

I still might be willing to come even if ignored. I could even bring toys.

The Golfing With Glocks course is a point shooting course. It can be done with any handgun, but it involves getting the student to imagine a line from the arm, through the handgun, and onto the target.

To teach this course I need an outdoor range and a range owner who does not mind lead into the earth before his berms. (In UT, I teach this out in the desert on BLM land.) A plastic cup is set up about 50 yards from the "tee". The goal is to shoot the golf ball into the plastic cup. Each shot at the golf ball is a "swing".

I am not terribly optimistic that my students will get me the range I need for this course (I cannot do this from UT.), so if you do not want to be ignored - instead come to the UT CFP course on Saturday from 10 - 2.

MKEgal

jpm84092 said:
Bring the wife and get her into the course. (Keep in mind that a Concealed Firearm Permit does not mean you have to carry a firearm, but it gives you the right to in States that honor a given permit.)
Something that hasn't been pointed out yet...
IF there's something in the car (like, oh, a pocket knife) that a LEO could possibly misrepresent as a 'weapon', if your wife has a cc permit she's covered. If she doesn't have a permit, she could get in trouble for cc.

Someone who is a LEO in MI told me that his wife didn't want to get a permit until one day when he'd left one of his pistols in the car she was driving & he had to call her & make her come back home so he could remove it. Otherwise, IIRC, it was a felony for her.

I heard a report on the news this morning about a guy (who was also violating 4 other laws, most much more serious*) arrested for a bunch of things resulting from really really poor decisions.
The thing the news commentator chose to comment on was him having a "hunting knife" in the pocket of his car door. The LEO said it was concealed, so of course that brought a mention of the cc law that goes into effect Tues.

*DUI, texting & driving, loaded unencased rifle in the car, in reach, & not moving over for a stopped emergency vehicle
Laws prevent crime, right?

Last edited:

jpm84092

The Yellow Cat has determined that he is qualified to teach the WI DOJ Concealed Carry Permit Course - so - if there is enough interest - that course may follow the UT Course. (See earlier post)

And, as much as I want to get as many people qualified to carry concealed in WI, I also need to cover my costs. (I am not a 2A Charity.) So I will let the numbers decide. Do I teach WI DOJ Permit Course for free with a pass the hat and you do not have to tip scenario - even though I traveled 1500 miles one way to teach - or - a pay per view advanced course?

jpm84092

This Tirip To Wisconsin Is Very Confusing

Hi Paul,

The options are:

1) The UT CFP course from 10 am - 2 pm is etched in stone on Saturday, 11-12-11. (I am relying on PM messages that guarantee me 2 or more students)
2) If more people want the WI Course - then that will follow. (I have one open message from a potential student who wants to take this course for free, but not the UT CFP course.)
3) If more of my students want advanced training - then we will do the following:- Using a handgun as a non-lethal response to an attacker - use of 'double tap" in a defense of self scenario - handgun retention - and practicing useful close quarter responses to violent attacks by bad guys (using blue or orange guns) in a practical gunfight scenario. Remember - 99% of all gunfights take place respecting the rule of 3 - all gunfights take place within 3 yards or less - all gunfights are over in 3 seconds or less - and - all gunfights result in 3 shots (or less) being fired.

I am faced with a conundrum. I have one new student who wants to take the WI CWL course for free (and I am dedicated to training newbies) - and my students wanting to take my advanced courses - and only 1 or 2 days for me to teach. I guess this will just have to pay itself out. - - And one student who wants private training on Friday - after lunch.

Responses to this post will determine what the Yellow Cat will be offering.

Yellow Cat Out -

rcav8r

Fees = Option 1 = Previously posted for UT class - WI Class = PASS THE HAT

Fees = Option 2 = PASS THE HAT

Fees = Option 3 = PASS THE HAT

I wouldn't want you to take up your time on one student, and I'm certainly willing to put something in the hat if the class happens (option 2). I mean, WCI will probably have their free classes closer to me eventually, so it's not a big deal to me if you pass on the WI course from lack of participation.

markush

I've got the wife willing to do one of these courses on the 12th. But she'd have to switch around her work schedule to get that Saturday off. She'll find out tomorrow if she can. She's pretty much a novice with all of this, She's been to the range a few times with me but that's about it. I already have a training certificate that I'm waiting on the instructor to amend with the new required info. So we'd be interested in option 1 or 2. You say that the UT CPF would run till 2:00...what time would you start the WI CWL course?

paul@paul-fisher.com

I've got the wife willing to do one of these courses on the 12th. But she'd have to switch around her work schedule to get that Saturday off. She'll find out tomorrow if she can. She's pretty much a novice with all of this, She's been to the range a few times with me but that's about it. I already have a training certificate that I'm waiting on the instructor to amend with the new required info. So we'd be interested in option 1 or 2. You say that the UT CPF would run till 2:00...what time would you start the WI CWL course?

My wife had never touched a gun and Jim made her feel at ease.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

markush

PM sent...The wife and I can make it to option #2, the WI CWL course on Saturday the 12th.