• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are you people waiting for? AB237 is POLICE STATE BS. Get moving...

HandyHamlet

Be nice if we could get these threads merged...

My email.

Dear Sen. Wirch,

I am writing to make my opposition known to Bill 237 being fast tracked as we speak.

"This bill specifies that any law enforcement officer may arrest
a person for violating a law that constitutes a civil forfeiture..."

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/proposals/ab237

This is absolutely ridiculous. Is the State of Wisconsin now in the business of just arresting everyone? Under this Bill, as pointed out by just one of the Assistant Chief of Brookfield Police's examples at the hearing on Oct 19th, Wisconsin citizens will now be arrested for the crime of their dog getting loose.

I implore you to step up, do your job, and stop this insanity.

Thank you for your time and expecting your prompt reply,

xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx
Registered Voter
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

RR_Broccoli

This must be the way the "inside the Beltline" group will legitimize arresting people who ultimately get disorderly conduct citations. :mad:

kemo

Called Jim holperin and they said they would check into it. No answer at Tom Tiffany's office, also went to local newspaper and call wsaw. We will see what happens. On a good note Holperin likes the castle doctorine and he is sponsering it.

wild boar

Armed revenue agents afoot!

Already sent out my , WHAT THE HELL E-MAILS.:mad: I won't be sitting in jail for being outside the crosswalk. boar out.

protias

This is what Paul Farrow's staffer sent me:

We received your emails and phone call. Paul was inadvertently signed on as a co-sponsor of this bill. His name has been removed from the legislation.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Can you imagine how many judges are going to be pissed about this? The court systems are already over worked, and now we're going to throw in the 200 people who got parking tickets on Water St in Milwaukee Friday night and had to sit in jail all night?

How about the guy who got paroled from jail just to get arrested again for spitting on the sidewalk? Parole is instantly revoked and he's right back in jail.

This bill is absolutely ridiculous, and has to be defeated.

smithman

Email sent to my Representative. This bill is the next step in Police State Wisconsin. It should scare the hell out of any citizen.

You get stopped for going 5 mph over the speed limit. The officer asks to search your car. You tell him that you do not consent to any search or siezure. Now he is pissed you are defying his "authority" so he arrests you for your speeding so that he can use his authority to search your car.

People, this is insanity.

BROKENSPROKET

Email sent to my Representative. This bill is the next step in Police State Wisconsin. It should scare the hell out of any citizen.

You get stopped for going 5 mph over the speed limit. The officer asks to search your car. You tell him that you do not consent to any search or siezure. Now he is pissed you are defying his "authority" so he arrests you for your speeding so that he can use his authority to search your car.

People, this is insanity.

Very good point. This is probably the most likely way AB237 would get abused.

XDFDE45

This is probably the most likely way AB237 would get abused.
There will be NO probably about it if this
bs.gif
is allowed to go forward. We all know about "officer discretion" and how things can go if said LEO is a stickler for the law or is just having a bad day. Imagine how it would be if this goes thru
screaming.gif

bluehighways

Emails sent to my rep. and state senator. Yes, this thing has got to be killed before it becomes law.

Whether this goes any further or not, the sponsors of this definitely deserve to have some time in the spotlight around the next election cycle.

Take names, take notes. History, not remembered is doomed to repeat itself.

range rat

So has anyone contacted the media about this?

Anyway, my reps office was very receptive to voting down this bill after they looked at it. Hopefully my rep feels the same way.

has sent you a 96.5 WKLH - Milwaukee's Classic Rock article link entitled Contact Us
Please follow the below link to reach the page.

Wisconsin, the Police State no2011 Assembly BILL 237

August 30, 2011 - Introduced by Representatives Kleefisch, Danou, Farrow and
Knilans, cosponsored by Senator Wanggaard. Referred to Committee on
Criminal Justice and Corrections.

1An Act to create 175.39 of the statutes; relating to: authorization to make
2arrests for activities punishable by civil forfeiture.

Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau

Current law grants specific authority to law enforcement officers to arrest for
violations of criminal procedures, noncriminal traffic offenses, and ordinances and
grants specific authority to law enforcement officers employed by cities to arrest for
violations of any law. This bill specifies that any law enforcement officer may arrest
a person for violating a law that constitutes a civil forfeiture if the law enforcement
officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the person is violating or has violated
the law.

The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do
enact as follows:

3Section 1. 175.39 of the statutes is created to read:

4175.39Arrest by a law enforcement officer. In addition to the arrest
5powers under s. 968.07, a law enforcement officer may arrest a person for a law

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1violation that is punishable by a civil forfeiture if the arresting officer has reasonable
2grounds to believe that the person is violating or has violated the law.

3 (End) w.

http://wklh.com/Contact-Us/2778367?

With Copys too the Milwaukee JS, Greenbay G, Fond Du Lac, Madison, Raine, my Senate Dis 7, Chris Larson, an Ass Dis 20, Christine Sinicki..

An just for the Hell of it ACLU ( A might over kill maybe ). An maybe the USA Today, I've got to recheck my list?

I'm up to here with all this Bull#$% their pulling, It's Time to fight back before we LOOSE all our Freedoms!!!

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Well, Fox 6 gave extensive coverage on two different controversial bills this morning, but nothing was mentioned about AB237. They gave more coverage to the Brookfield Elementary school closing than to the pirating of civil rights

wild boar

My email to Bill O'rilly Facton on Fox

Mr. O’ , Wisconsin has introduced this bill, Assembly Bill 237. No one knows what they hope to gain, but it doesn’t look good. The police will have the power to arrest for J- Walking!

2011-2012 Wisconsin Legislature
Assembly Bill 237
An Act to create 175.39 of the statutes; relating to: authorization to make arrests for activities punishable by civil forfeiture.
Important Actions (newest first)
10/25/2011 A.
Referred to committee on Rules
10/25/2011 A.
Report passage recommended by committee on Criminal Justice and Corrections, Ayes 9, Noes 0
Links
• Bill Text (PDF: )
• Record of Committee Proceedings
• Government Accountability Board information
History
8/30/2011 A.
Introduced by Representatives Kleefisch, Danou, Farrow and Knilans;
Cosponsored by Senator Wanggaard
8/30/2011 A.
Read first time and referred to committee on Criminal Justice and Corrections491
10/19/2011 A.
Public hearing held
10/25/2011 A.
Executive action taken
10/25/2011 A.
Representative Farrow withdrawn as a coauthor
10/25/2011 A.
Report passage recommended by committee on Criminal Justice and Corrections, Ayes 9, Noes 0
10/25/2011 A.
Referred to committee on Rules

wild boar

Letter To Cosponsor

Senator Wannggard, you COSPONSORED AB-237? If this goes anywhere you can pack your bags!!!! I’m a member of WCI, and the Tea Party. You’re more than aware what we can do, and you pull this NAZI BROWN SHIRT CRAP!!! You have received my VOTE for the last time. If you should wake up feel free to contact me, you have my phone number, email, and home address. If your standing, sit down, if your sitting stand up; get my drift. Dennis Hamm.

Last edited: