• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are you people waiting for? AB237 is POLICE STATE BS. Get moving...

rcav8r

I wrote my rep hebl on Monday, but knowing his MO, he won't respond back until this bill is decided one way or another, and it'll be a generic "this is how the bill did" letter with NO indication of what he did about it, in PDF format

Packfanatic

Recall his stanky a$ $~~

I wrote my rep hebl on Monday, but knowing his MO, he won't respond back until this bill is decided one way or another, and it'll be a generic "this is how the bill did" letter with NO indication of what he did about it, in PDF format

then work VERY VERY hard to get him unelected. Tell all your friends, family etc to vote his sorry butt out of there then. I wrote my rep and he agrees....

_ _ _ _ _ ,

Thank you for your email and bringing this bill to my attention. I’ll bring your concerns to my colleagues and see what this bill was trying to achieve and see if we can maybe do it in a better way.

I do agree that common sense has disappeared; hopefully it comes back before we’re in more trouble than we already are.

Keith Ripp
Wisconsin State Representative
47th Assembly District

IcrewUH60

Concerned about AB 237

[my letter]

Dear Representative,

Wisconsin is not a Police State. Please REJECT AB 237.

AB 237 will give Wisconsin Police unlimited authority to arrest for minor infractions that are currently just fines/civil forfeiture. This is a bad idea, not to mention an unwarranted and unjustified power grab by the police.

Protect Civil Liberties and Reject AB 237.

Best regards,
Me

[/my letter]

GreenCountyPete

i called My reps office and talked with one of her staff , there is not usually much she and i agree on but it sure doesn't sound like she likes this one either. I appealed to the other side in my complaint of the bill what if someone was protesting something and was parked in no parking area or some other citation able infraction , the bill would allow for their arrest and detainment ending that persons protest and squashing their ability to assemble

there are enough selectively enforced laws , we don't need greater penalty for discretionary enforcement.

MKEgal

Motofixxer said:
This bill would effectively put an end to any kind of civil rights suits.
This law would change absolutely nothing in the Brookfield case.
They still violated federal laws to get the poisoned information to arrest me for the forfeiture.
I've already emailed everyone on that committee, plus the governor, plus my rep & sen.
If I hear about upcoming hearings & am able to attend, I'll be there in person.
I can't believe that cop got away with such blatant lies. :mad:

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

From Nik on the WCI FB page:

AB 237 -- I just got off the phone with the bill author Rep. Joel Kleefish. We spent 20 minutes discussing this issue in depth. I would first like to let everyone know that Representative Kleefish really got a snow-job from the Asst. Brookfield Police Chief which he relied on to craft this bill. He assured me that if what I shared was factual (that police would still be able to issue citations for civil forfeiture WITHOUT the power to arrest) that he would pull the bill out of process. As mentioned previously, this is not a case of a legislator going after our rights, it was a case of a legislator being egregiously mislead by someone they took as an "expert". I genuinely believe Rep Kleefish was rolled on this one and is going to pull the bill as soon as he verifies what I shared with him with legal counsel.

rcav8r

So he didn't check with legal counsel on this bill BEFORE releasing it??? Only depending one ONE source for "factual" evidence?

Shocking!

Not!

paul@paul-fisher.com

This was posted on FB

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your email in regards to your opposition to Assembly Bill
(AB) 237, being offered by Representative Joel Kleefisch (R-Oconomowoc)
and Senator Van Wanggaard (R-Racine). I can understand your concern
with this proposal and I am pleased you have brought your thoughts to my
attention.

Upon review of this proposal, I too have great concerns about the intent
of this legislation. The conduct by which our law enforcement officials
are held to has been proven to be effective over many decades. Our
system which allows law enforcement to issue citations for any state
civil forfeiture is and will continue to be an adequate manner to
enforce the law. If a citation is not paid then it is up to a judge to
issue a warrant for the delinquent's arrest. I believe that such a
system has served our state well, and any change will only cause
confusion and uncertainty amongst our constituency.

I am baffled by the unanimous 9-0 vote on this legislation which allowed
it be passed by the Assembly Committee on Criminal Justice &
Corrections. I believe that the misrepresentation of facts has led to
some in the legislature to blindly follow this proposal which would be
detrimental to our justice system and could potentially harm the
integrity of our law enforcement officials. It is important that we as
elected officials get all the facts and take all views into
consideration before making a decision on such an important piece of
legislation. I will be sharing the many emails I have received from my
constituents with my colleagues to inform them of how this far reaching
and unnecessary proposal could potentially affect our state.

I have been informed by the Assembly Speaker's office that this bill
will not be getting the Assembly's full consideration, which means that
the bill will not be brought for a vote during this current legislative
session. However, if by chance this bill does come before the Assembly
for a vote, I will be voting no on this legislation.

I hope this response is encouraging to you. Again, I thank you for
bringing your thoughts to my attention. If you should have any further
questions or concerns regarding this or any other state government
issues, please do not hesitate to contact me or my office. It is a
pleasure serving you in the State Assembly.

Regards,

John Murtha
State Representative
29th Assembly District

Ding dong, the witch is dead!

BROKENSPROKET

Ding dong, the witch is dead!

Nope, she is still breathing. I want to see Sen. Waangard, Rep. Kleefisch, Rep. Danou, Rep. Knilans withdraw thier sponsorship of the bill. This will tell me where they stand on our civil rights. Keeping yoour name on a bill that dies lets me assume the you will try again.

Last edited:

dmworken

Email sent to my legislatures

This is one bill I want to see tabled. I sent an email to my legislatures voicing my concern and to OPPOSE it. Although their names are not on the bill, I hope they already said "nope", and if they have not will not.

wild boar

What really bothers me is...

...even if we get them to drop this crap, they tried. Unless those who are accused of lying are held to answer for their deceit, we should strongly reconsider our vote. I tried Vos, and nothing yet. Damage control is on the fast track now. We have an obligation to see this to a definitive end, and know who we're dealing with. They can take their masks off, it's not Halloween yet. boar out. :mad:

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Called my rep's office today. He sit's on the committee that just passed this thing through. ( I was too late getting a hold of him the other day) Evidently they only heard from one side on the issue so since there wasn't any descent at the time, just passed it.:uhoh: I told his aid that if anyone would have heard of it earlier there would have been large amounts of people speaking against it. He thought I was probably right as they and many other reps have had lots of calls coming in against it in the last couple days.

Anyway, he said it would be a good idea to contact Rep Sudor and Fitzgerald now to make sure it doesn't show up on the floor for a vote. That's what I'm going to do now, and I think it's a good idea for everyone else to do the same if possible.

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Just got off the phone with Rep. Sudor's office. According to them, he does NOT support it and will make sure it does not come up for a vote on the floor. According to his aid, it's effectively dead on arrival.

Very good news! I'm not totally trusting it and we should maintain vigilance but it's looking up.

McNutty

I've reached out to my rep as well as the bill's sponsors and Fitzgerald to express my opposition to this bill.

The testimony of Collins was disingenuous at best. The blanket authority this bill gives law enforcement is absolutely ridiculous. And we shouldn't worry about the granting of this type of authority to Collins and his department - we should just trust them to do the right thing - after what they did? :cuss: The only thing worse, as I watched the testimony, was the rubberstamp mentality of elected officials. This will help prevent you from being sued - sure I think that's great. :mad: Maybe one or two weakly raised the question as to whether granting such discretion would be appropriate.

Thanks to WCInc and this forum for keeping us (me at least) in the loop on the happenings out there in Madistan.

Teej

Dear Mr. Teej:

I have received your letter on your concern of AB237. I absolutely agree with you and do not support Assembly Bill 237 which specifies that any law enforcement officer may arrest a person for violating a law that constitutes a civil forfeiture if the law enforcement officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the person is violating or has violated the law. At this time, I do not feel it is necessary for this bill to move forward and I will keep your thoughts in mind should this come before for me a vote.

Thank you for expressing your concerns and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of assistance.

Warmest Regards,
Mike Kuglitsch
State Assembly
84th Assembly District