• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Feds embrace lying about FOIA

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
From the article:

The Justice Department is proposing new Freedom of Information Act rules allowing the government to inform the public that records do not exist even if they do
The proposal, published in the Federal Registrar for comment, may codify existing practice, as the government has already lied to requesters of public records that relevant documents did not exist. Under normal practice, which seems Orwellian enough, the government may assert that it can neither confirm nor deny that relevant records exist if the matter involves national security.

Fallschirjmäger

Sorry, what's the outrage about?
The key is the phrase "...if the matter involves national security..."
If a supporter of Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad requests troop strength and deployment of all troops in xxx country, do you really want that information released?
If someone petitions all the information regarding the Air Forces new Triple secret XX project, should that information be released?

Last edited:

DanM

That's what everything Nazi Germany did was based on.

Fallschirmjäger said:
If a supporter of Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad requests troop strength and deployment of all troops in xxx country, do you really want that information released?

If someone petitions all the information regarding the Air Forces new Triple secret XX project, should that information be released?

Those are more specific than "the matter involves national security". Those matters involve tactical and strategic defense information, and even then, the elements of such matters aren't 100% protected from public disclosure.

fozzy71

I would think the key is the phrase you purposely left out of your quote:

...if they threaten to expose national security and for other privacy reasons,...

That seems to be (intentionally) vague.....

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

I think it's more that we already knew the government did this sort of thing, but now the sheeple are suddenly aware of it, thus the :shocker:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
FOIA has been made obsolete by the bush administration and the obama administration after him (who came in claiming he was going to have a transparent administration). the bush administration started rubber stamping EVERYTHING with either "classified" or "sensitive" thus subverting the FOIA. from what i've heard, the number of classified documents has spiked drastically over the past few years. i'm pretty sure they are classifying their mcdonalds receipts now.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Slippery slope.

Well, of course it is! Muhahhahahahahahaa!!

National security is whatever we government-types say it is.

Why, the general welfare and national security are so closely related as to be nearly indistinguishable. They're practically equivalent. In fact, they are equivalent. Not only equivalent, but identical. They are the same thing!

How do you think we got away with regulating Filburn's wheat that he grew for his own use under the commerce clause, or passed the 1000' GFSZ act under the commerce clause?

Lies, twisting things, whatever we say. The end always justifies the means!!

Muhahahahahahahahaaa!!

/sarcasm

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I have always wondered how to process a FOIA request and where this paperwork to do it is located. Anyone want to share?
A simple email will work. You can ask for the information you want, be as specific as you can as they can charge for copies, time, etc.. Below is a letter reviewed by an attorney, modify as you deem fit.

FOIA COORDINATOR Date:
POLICE DEPARTMENT
POLICE HEADQUARTERS
ANYWHERE, MI 48484

RE: FOIA Request

Dear FOIA Coordinator:

On February X, 20XX at approximately 00:00 PM, Anywhere Police Department Officers XXXXXXXXX and XXXXXXXXXXX engaged in the detention and investigation of a man with a pistol on the sidewalk at Some Street between That St and Another St in the City of Anywhere. As a result of Officers XXXXXX and XXXXX’s investigation, Officer XXXXXX issued citations for firearm violations to You Yourself.

Pursuant to the Michigan Freedom of Information Act, MCL §15.231, I am requesting copies of documents relating to the aforementioned incident including:

Any and all recordings of radio communications related in any way to the dispatch, response, or request for assistance by the officers involved with the incident;

Any and all video recordings of the incident, including patrol car video;

Any and all documents that identify the officers dispatched to the scene as a result of the incident, including the police report; roll call rosters; vehicle logs; and, audio recordings;

Any and all emails, memos, letters and/or other correspondence between employees of the Anywhere Police Department and any other person regarding the incident; and,

Any and all property booking notes, cards, papers recording the property seized by Officer XXXXXX and XXXXXXXXXXXX associated with the incident.

Should the cost for researching, compiling and copying the requested information exceed $30.00, please inform me of the anticipated cost, and provide me with a time and place for a physical inspection of the requested information before researching, compiling or copying the requested information.

Please respond to this request by replying to the following address:

YOUR ADDRESS

I appreciate your anticipated cooperation with this request. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me at the number above.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not that I want to drag dirty laundry through the streets, but the Va VDOT would not even tell if the smoked domes at the Scotland Neck ferry landing had cameras in them or not because it was related to "national security". Of course, that same "national security" allowed them to overwrite presumed - because we will never be sure there was a camera to capture any images - video evidence of an alleged crime.

The "naional security" blanket of fog can be and is pulled over just about anything THEY don't want us to know about - usually because THEY don't want to be held accountable for something.

I agree that there are certain things that ought to be exempt from public disclosure, but most of what we would be interested in should not be hidden behind some cloak of secrecy.

And I agree that allowing the Feds to get away with this is a slippery slope because it will be copied by the state/local .gov entities who will cite "security" at the drop of a hat just to avoid scrutiny.

stay safe.

PDinDetroit

Not that I want to drag dirty laundry through the streets, but the Va VDOT would not even tell if the smoked domes at the Scotland Neck ferry landing had cameras in them or not because it was related to "national security". Of course, that same "national security" allowed them to overwrite presumed - because we will never be sure there was a camera to capture any images - video evidence of an alleged crime.

The "naional security" blanket of fog can be and is pulled over just about anything THEY don't want us to know about - usually because THEY don't want to be held accountable for something.

I agree that there are certain things that ought to be exempt from public disclosure, but most of what we would be interested in should not be hidden behind some cloak of secrecy.

And I agree that allowing the Feds to get away with this is a slippery slope because it will be copied by the state/local .gov entities who will cite "security" at the drop of a hat just to avoid scrutiny.

stay safe.

Did you ever get your "Finger Brandishing" T-Shirts for Sale? Maybe with the sibtitle of "Don't Point-Shoot Me Bro!"... :eek:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Did you ever get your "Finger Brandishing" T-Shirts for Sale? Maybe with the sibtitle of "Don't Point-Shoot Me Bro!"... :eek:

I'm not trying to capitalize on the incident so no t-shirts were made up by me. Someone did give me a t-shirt with a pointing finger. Presented it to me right after we walked out of the courtroom with the bright, shiney "Not Guilty" verdict. There might be a picture of it.

Pretty sure that picture is not restricted by "national security".

stay safe.