Thread: Newsmakers: Atty. Gen. JB Van Hollen on Concealed Carry Law

Newsmakers: Atty. Gen. JB Van Hollen on Concealed Carry Law

Thanks for the post but I'll pass.

No interest in that commie's excuses.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 10-25-2011 at 11:10 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

I watched the whole thing and was swearing at my computer...

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Wihunter View Post
    An excellent interview with the AG. Very informative and I did not see any kameez.
    Your opinion.
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

Good interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
    Your opinion.
    That is also my opinion. I feel that he explained it quite well.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid.

Just watched it and it is as expected. Nothing but lies and political double speak.

"there has been some consternation around the state..." Yet he conveniently leaves out the part about Pam Galloway calling him out. Or the Gov.

Typical.

He starts out by reminding us about what he did years ago, that he is pro 2A, for less government bureaucracy... blah, blah, blah, and then talks about how he walked over Legislators is if he did us a favor.

Spare me.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 10-26-2011 at 12:59 AM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

I find it interesting that other states have laws that are laid out similar to Wisconsin's new law. Iowa has basically the same language for the training section, except for hunter safety, why is it that Iowa didn't need to have an agency define that and change the intent of the law. I'm not upset about four hours per say as most classes are going to be that or more. I'm upset about the way that they are doing it and it makes it almost impossible to use something else. If you take a class from some big name instructor (not a conceal carry course) or take an NRA Basic Pistol Course somewhere else it will not have that information on the certificate.

It seemed like they were trying to make things harder than it has to be. There were some good things he said but other things I strongly disagreed with him about. Do they really think that any of that would stop fraud? There isn't really going to be people making up fake certificates and sending them in. Even with the information that is on the certificates is the DOJ going to call me up every time and say was this person in a class? Did it actually take place? I sure hope not!

The law was designed so that the training provision was very dynamic. You could use just about anything to get a license. The way that is now because of these rules make it very specific. They don't need all those things on a certificate and doing so goes against the intent of the law. If the legislature wanted a time frame for classes they would have put it in there. It was voted on but rejected. I believe the DOJ and Van Hollen went too far. He tried to justify it but I think still failed.

Campaign Veteran
    So, Van Hollen has declared in this video that he will be applying for a permit. How much do you want to bet that his will be one of the first issued?
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

So they asked for a few items on the cert. Not on your current cert? Well, I'm sure most instructors will give you an addendum. Hassle? Yes. Overstepping intent? Probably. 1 year from now, no one will care.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophon View Post
    So they asked for a few items on the cert. Not on your current cert? Well, I'm sure most instructors will give you an addendum. Hassle? Yes. Overstepping intent? Probably. 1 year from now, no one will care.
    I will unless we get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    If you use the MD training you probably won't even have a court date yet.

The rest will not care because our sights will then be set on Constitutional Carry.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    I think these lawyer types just get TOO logical on implementing stuff sometimes. Too technical. They want to be "over-legal" if that's a term. Sure, it's more red tape. But we'll have permits and hands, and sights on other things such as constitutional carry and a good stand your ground law. Bigger fish to fry.

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    So, Van Hollen has declared in this video that he will be applying for a permit. How much do you want to bet that his will be one of the first issued?
    That is just too funny.

I imagine that he would make sure the he is in the first daily batch. Now that I think about it, there may be whole bunch of special freinds that may get applications emailed to them the day before or at 12:01am, while the rest of us have to wait until some yet to be determined time on 11/1/11.

I love the fact that he talked to firearms instructors, but he personally didn't talk to to them it was his assistants. Then he goes on to say that the only instructors he talked to was law enforcement instructors. We already know how their thinking goes.

Quote Originally Posted by kemo View Post
    I love the fact that he talked to firearms instructors, but he personally didn't talk to to them it was his assistants. Then he goes on to say that the only instructors he talked to was law enforcement instructors. We already know how their thinking goes.
    That and a lot of LE instructors do not realize that the armed citizen does not need that kind of training. Our missions are different. The armed citizen is trying to get away from a bad situation and is running the other way. An officer has to put themselves in that position a lot of times.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by bforn View Post
    An officer has to put themselves in that position a lot of times.
    Perhaps in Canada, affirmed by Canadian Supreme Court R. v. Godoy, [1999] 1 S.C.R. 311. In the United States the police have no such power, affirmed by SCOTUS Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005).

I know all about that. An officers job puts them in danger more often than most of us. The point I was getting is that they are rushing to a call when we may be rushing away. That is partly what they get paid to do. Their job is to go into situations that they know could get hairy. An armed concerned citizen is carrying so that they can protect themselves. They are not running towards danger.

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    Where have you guys been?? Van Hollen printed and got his permit weeks ago!! How do you think they trained and tested the new permit processors they hired??

I know all about that. An officers job puts them in danger more often than most of us. The point I was getting is that they are rushing to a call when we may be rushing away. That is partly what they get paid to do. Their job is to go into situations that they know could get hairy. An armed concerned citizen is carrying so that they can protect themselves. They are not running towards danger.
    Not to be argumentative...

But as far as dangerous jobs go? Well cops are on the bottom of the list. IF they make the list at all.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/...s_jobs/11.html

http://www.forbes.com/2011/03/08/fis...rous-jobs.html

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44344096/Most...rous_Jobs_2011

The point I was getting is that they are rushing to a call when we may be rushing away.

You mean other than Milwaukee cops... Right? Milwaukee cops do not rush anywhere.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...132115243.html

"Since the average resident of this city is willing to wait four hours for the cable guy and half a day for a furniture delivery, it seems to me a reasonable delay in responding for a call is an acceptable balance," Flynn said in an interview with the Journal Sentinel.

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/wat...127077973.html

Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

There are about 89,000 people in law enforcement in the U.S. Each year about 35 - 40 lose their lives to gunfire. You do the math.

Either you are a sheep or you are a sheep dog.

When Jared Loughner shot and/or killed more than ten people, including Con. Gabrielle Giffords, it was citizen bystander that took him down. There was CCW permit holder inside the Safeway store that when the gunshots started, he ran out of the store towards the shooting.

Either you are a sheep or you are a sheep dog.