• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Locked but no loading - VIP bodyguard wages cut.

Haz.

Seeing guns have been banned Down Under one could ask why politicians think they need armed security guards prepared to take a bullet for them? Have they no faith in their own legislation? Maybe they could get rid of armed guards all together seeing they believe that the firearms ban is a sucess. Haz.

Locked but no loading - VIP bodyguard wages cut.

by: By Steve Lewis
October 26, 2011 12:00AM
Bodyguards face salary cuts of up to 35 per cent
AFP says review "is not a cost-saving measure"

AFP Commissioner Tony Negus has a mini-revolt on his hands over plans to strip away a "composite allowance" paid to several hundred of his officers, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Bodyguards protecting Julia Gillard and Governor-General Quentin Bryce at this week's Commonwealth talkfest in Perth are now in line to lose the loading - worth about $25,000 annually.

They not only fear a loss of wages but claim the changes - due to come into effect in January - will erode the level of protection for high-risk envoys from Israel and the US.

Read more: <http://www.news.com.au/national/locked-but-no-loading-vip-bodyguard-wages-cut/story-e6frfkvr-1226176758720>

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
For the sake of the foreigners in the crowd, would you please explain AFP and AFP Commissioner. I think I understand "wages out" as being a pay cut based on the "loading" (being armed") being taken off their job description/duties. If I've missed that up, please correct me.

But if I have it right, it seems that the only appropriate thing to do is strip them of their armd status and reduce their pay accordingly. At least here in the USA we have politicians who need armed bodyguards in spite of laws that keep the ordinary citizen disarmed because we do have criminals that have firearms. Everybody "knows" that Aussie crooks turned in their firearms along with everybody else. [/sarcasm]

stay safe.

Haz.

For the sake of the foreigners in the crowd, would you please explain AFP and AFP Commissioner. I think I understand "wages out" as being a pay cut based on the "loading" (being armed") being taken off their job description/duties. If I've missed that up, please correct me.

But if I have it right, it seems that the only appropriate thing to do is strip them of their armd status and reduce their pay accordingly. At least here in the USA we have politicians who need armed bodyguards in spite of laws that keep the ordinary citizen disarmed because we do have criminals that have firearms. Everybody "knows" that Aussie crooks turned in their firearms along with everybody else. [/sarcasm]

stay safe.

G'day skidmark. AFP are the Australian Federal Police. Down Under we have Federal police force and State police force. The AFP Comissioner heads / runs / leads the Australian Federal Police Force.

The government, which is rapidly running out of money, because they wast it on crap and have given themselves a huge pay rise desperately need to cut costs. Where to start? Cut workers wages whilst raising they salery.

"Everybody "knows" that Aussie crooks turned in their firearms along with everybody else." [/sarcasm]

Seriously mate, I believe some of the drones running our country actually believe criminals did?

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
They not only fear a loss of wages but claim the changes - due to come into effect in January - will erode the level of protection for high-risk envoys from Israel and the US.

Unfortunately, a lot of these knuckle-headed schemes are sometimes self-correcting. Hopefully they'll see their error beforehand. If not, some nut like Jared or Cho may come along and make a point of proving them wrong.