• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reciprocity for out of staters?

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Last edited:

hermannr

There appear to be a couple things that delay WI recognition (not reciprocity, that is two way, this is only a one way list...WI will recognize these states...it says nothing about the state that will recognize WI)

First, all of the states were sent a request for their current law, and if they could reach an agreement with WI. If the state did not respond yet, it will not be on the list.

Second, it has nothing to do with "training". WA requires no training for a CPL, but WA is on the list.

I THINK the problem could also be the secondary local criminal/mental health check. WI (WA also) does not think the NCIS check is enough. They also require a local criminal/mental health check to make sure something has not fallen through the cracks.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
The mental health aspect isn't mentioned on the DOJ website. http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ConcealedCarry.asp

Copy and paste of the relevant section:
"Out-of-state Licenses Recognized in Wisconsin
Licensees from any of the listed states will be recognized in Wisconsin as an out-of-state licensee per Sec. 175.60 (1)(g) Wis. Stats. This was determined based on the statutory requirement in s. 165.25 (12) that the listed state requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit, to a background search that is comparable to Wisconsin’s background check in s. 175.60 (1)(ac). Wisconsin’s background check includes only two components (1) A criminal history record search; (2) A search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS). If another states background check meets the same requirements a Wisconsin resident must meet, the DOJ has recognized that state. The DOJ has tried to be as inclusive as possible and will periodically check and update the list if other states can be added. This list is current as of 10/18/11:

Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands"

And I know the training 'shouldn't' have anything to do with it, but since they decided we needed a minimum of 4 hours, I thought maybe the DOJ decided others we would recognize would as well.

That being said, I wonder if MO just didn't respond by the date listed (10/18/11)?

And I guess it's just semantics, but it would be reciprocity since Missouri will recognize ours as of Nov1. Not an official agreement, but the same result. They recognize all other states' permits by statute. source: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

ETA: According to Missouri's website we do honor their permit!?! http://ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/ Obviously our list is the one that counts...

Last edited:

jpm84092

The MO attorney general's website is showing that WI will honor a MO permit, but that is not what the WI DOJ website says. Very Interesting - and a harbinger of confusion yet to come to the newly enacted WI Concealed Carry Law.

xenophon

The MO attorney general's website is showing that WI will honor a MO permit, but that is not what the WI DOJ website says. Very Interesting - and a harbinger of confusion yet to come to the newly enacted WI Concealed Carry Law.

Could be WI DOJ just hasn't updated website yet. List was updated as of 10/18.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I Like it!

So many threads...didn't want to start yet another.

Pennsylvania honors the WI permit.
The following states have been granted statutory reciprocity without a formal written agreement under [Pennsylvania] 6106(b)(15), based on the determination of the Attorney General that the other state has granted reciprocity to Pennsylvania license holders, and that the other state's laws governing firearms are similar.

• Colorado
  • Iowa
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Louisiana
  • Montana
  • North Dakota
  • Utah
  • Wisconsin
"Statutory Reciprocity"; I like it!