• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KMart Open Carry Policy

Small_Arms_Collector

I recently E Mailed KMart asking about their corporate policy regarding non licensed Open carry since Michigan law of course requires the permission of the "owner or the agent of the owner" when it's a store that sells liquor, and I thought you might be interested in the response, it looks like KMart does not have a problem with it. :D

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent correspondence. We are always interested in
hearing from our customers, and regret it was this type of situation
that prompted you to contact us.

Our corporate policy regarding customers who openly carry firearms on
our store premises is that as long as the law of the state, in which our
store is located, legally permits the open carrying of firearms (i.e.
carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight), customers will be
permitted to openly carry firearms within our stores.

By sharing your concerns, you have enabled us to provide feedback to the
appropriate person. Truly, your remarks provide forthright feedback
that will enable Sears to achieve excellence in everything we do.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Jennifer G.,
Retail Customer Care
Sears Holdings Corporation

Last edited:

rvd4now

dont ask ...

I recently E Mailed KMart asking about their corporate policy regarding non licensed Open carry since Michigan law of course requires the permission of the "owner or the agent of the owner" when it's a store that sells liquor, and I thought you might be interested in the response, it looks like KMart does not have a problem with it. :D

Dear Valued Customer,

Sincerely,
Jennifer G.,
Retail Customer Care

kind of great job

i never ask a store if i can shop with all my rights. if i am asked to leave the store, they will never get another $ from me.. now with that being said. if i am asked to leave i will email there hq asking them there policy as you did.. Its good to no kmart supports 2a.. most stores do intill they get a complant from another shoper.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

kind of great job

i never ask a store if i can shop with all my rights. if i am asked to leave the store, they will never get another $ from me.. now with that being said. if i am asked to leave i will email there hq asking them there policy as you did.. Its good to no kmart supports 2a.. most stores do intill they get a complant from another shoper.

From the sound of it he does not have a CPL and since they have a liquor license he needs their permission to OC there.

rvd4now

From the sound of it he does not have a CPL and since they have a liquor license he needs their permission to OC there.

from what i understand the law to be is, he can not o/c at all with out a cpl at a place that has a liquor license.. correct me if i worng.

op: even if you have a email from some random person at hq i still would not oc there with out a cpl.. becasue that current store manager may not agree with what someone at hq has said. all you need for them to do is place a call to 9-11. If they place a call and the police show up, im thinking you will be cited. "ianal"

you dont want that call

lil_freak_66

from what i understand the law to be is, he can not o/c at all with out a cpl at a place that has a liquor license.. correct me if i worng.

op: even if you have a email from some random person at hq i still would not oc there with out a cpl.. becasue that current store manager may not agree with what someone at hq has said. all you need for them to do is place a call to 9-11. If they place a call and the police show up, im thinking you will be cited. "ianal"

you dont want that call

you can with owner/agent(manager) permission,ive got permission for a few places in the state.

xmanhockey7

you dont want that call

If he has permission he may OC there without a CPL.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that
possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

Small_Arms_Collector

you dont want that call

The law says you can't unless you have permission from the owner, or an agent of the owner, and what Corporate Headquarters says regarding corporate policy should suffice, I would think that a store manager would be over ruled when Corporate Policy (And I'll have a printout of that EMail) says I can.

WARCHILD

Your safest avenue of approach would be to make an appointment with the store manager you frequent.
Take a copy of the email with you and see if he is in agreement and ask him for permission "in writing" to shop at the store while oc'ing. Since you do not have a cpl; explain to him that you need his permission to carry there because of the liquor license restriction for those without a cpl.

JMO

rvd4now

If he has permission he may OC there without a CPL.

i understand but see if a email holds up to some 7.25hour manager at the store...

who is the higher up on the food chain the non 2a manager in store or the people at hq.."i no the answer"

at the end of the day he can do it but it just makes it harder once ur cpl exp..

rvd4now

Your safest avenue of approach would be to make an appointment with the store manager you frequent.
Take a copy of the email with you and see if he is in agreement and ask him for permission "in writing" to shop at the store while oc'ing. Since you do not have a cpl; explain to him that you need his permission to carry there because of the liquor license restriction for those without a cpl.

JMO

great ideal

xmanhockey7

i understand but see if a email holds up to some 7.25hour manager at the store...

who is the higher up on the food chain the non 2a manager in store or the people at hq.."i no the answer"

at the end of the day he can do it but it just makes it harder once ur cpl exp..

I'm not saying the corporate email is sufficient enough, what I'm saying is with permission he can. That's what the law says.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would be truly shocked if any store manager would give anyone such authorization in writing.
I sincerely doubt that a manager could justify within their policy manual doing such a thing.

Also K-Mart upper management and corporate attorneys would have him/her for lunch. If store managers don't want to join the ranks of the previously employed, they do only those things they are trained and specifically authorized to do.

fozzy71

I disagree. I think you interpreted their response incorrectly.

Dear Valued Customer,

Sincerely,
Jennifer G.,
Retail Customer Care

They are saying they follow state law, and state law says you cant OC w/o a CPL if they sell alcohol.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Dear Valued Customer,

our store premises is that as long as the law of the state,
in which our

Sincerely,
Jennifer G.,
Retail Customer Care

I do NOT see any permission given in that letter from KMart for anyone without a CPL to openly carry in their stores!!

What I do see is that KMart will abide by the laws of the State where the store is... and in Michigan the law says:

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

So OK.... that says no possession of a firearm on the premises (possession means you can't have a firearm, not just a pistol but any firearm, in your possession... which also means in the trunk of your car) of an establishment that has a liquor license.... unless...

-You have a CPL in which case you can CC or OC a pistol or have a pistol in your trunk/car/truck.

-You have permission of the owner or the owner's agent....

But the problematic part of all this is that part about having permission and... as far as a plain reading of that letter from KMart goes....

KMart said, and only said, those who are carrying in compliance with Michigan law may carry ... and for Michigan law pertaining to possessing a firearm on the premises of an establishment with a liquor license... see above.

Edited to add:
I see Fozzy beat me to it...

Last edited by a moderator:

stainless1911

Banned
The law says you can't unless you have permission from the owner, or an agent of the owner, and what Corporate Headquarters says regarding corporate policy should suffice, I would think that a store manager would be over ruled when Corporate Policy (And I'll have a printout of that EMail) says I can.

Agreed, keep a copy with you, the law requires permission of the owner or agent. The person sending email (the PR people) are the agents that kmart pays to represent the company in decisions like these. You are good to go.

stainless1911

Banned
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon....

It doesnt say CPL.

Your LTP license to purchase, or PP purchase permis is a license to carry. I cant recal the cite, Im watching top shot, but the law says its a licence to carry, among other things.. You've posted the cite yourself at other times.

Last edited:

SpringerXDacp

It doesnt say CPL.

Your LTP license to purchase, or PP purchase permis is a license to carry. I cant recal the cite, Im watching top shot, but the law says its a licence to carry, among other things.. You've posted the cite yourself at other times.

This is true, however, it's not a license to carry a concealed pistol. See MCL 28.422