Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permit Training Requirement

Permit Training Requirement

Does a hunter safety class meet the requirement?

(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
    The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing
    authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof
    that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a
    course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a
    federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms
    instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as
    knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by the
    state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other
    document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that
    the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.
    States don’t have rights. People do.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Does a hunter safety class meet the requirement?
    no. although it depends on the issuing department. Some will allow a personal letter from a police officer stating they they saw you demonstrate proper firearms skills.

Most officers and departments will not issue such letters as there is enormous exposure and risks involved.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    Most officers and departments will not issue such letters as there is enormous exposure and risks involved.
    true, but i have personally seen it done nonetheless.

Dont need a training class if you were in the Military!!! I was in the Military, i took a class to better understand the laws when carrying a firearm...

XD-Over

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    yes. my boss was a JAG judge and lawer in the Army, so therefore he does not require any training to get his CCW. His wife expressed to me desire to take a course, and i convinced him to take it with her *seeing as he is a little rusty :P*. i myself am actually looking for a few high level tactical courses to take, without paying the "frontsight" prices haha. things like low light, shooting from a seated position, from a car ect.

Training is always good. but a hunter safety course has NOTHING to do with concealing a weapon, or even a pistol to begin with. i would say take a proper course if you really want a Maine CHP. :-)
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

DD214 with firearm training noted will qualify. Many with DD214 have been denied without firearm training noted.
    Paul J. Mattson
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    yes. my boss was a JAG judge and lawer in the Army, so therefore he does not require any training to get his CCW. His wife expressed to me desire to take a course, and i convinced him to take it with her *seeing as he is a little rusty :P*. i myself am actually looking for a few high level tactical courses to take, without paying the "frontsight" prices haha. things like low light, shooting from a seated position, from a car ect.

Training is always good. but a hunter safety course has NOTHING to do with concealing a weapon, or even a pistol to begin with. i would say take a proper course if you really want a Maine CHP. :-)
    Weaponcraft offers some great courses and they offer discounts to MOCA members. Give them a call.

Hello all,

I don't see anything in section (5) specifically stating that the training certificate must be issued by a Maine certified instructor.

5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
    The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing
    authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof
    that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a
    course that included handgun safety offered by
    or under the supervision of a
    federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms
    instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as
    knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority
    or by the
    state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other
    document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that
    the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.
    If I had a NRA Basic Pistol Class cert that was issued by a Connecticut instructor within the last 5 years, would that be accepted? My most recent Basic Pistol cert is from 1995. Before I take the course (in CT) again, I was looking for some re-assurance that it would suffice if I went with an instructor in CT.

Is there anything implied in "recognized as knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority" such as being a Maine certified instructor?
    America, where freedom* reigns.

*Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

-----------

“What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

I went through a Michigan CPL class taught by a guy who was not NRA certified (certified as a firearms instructor for police not NRA) and that worked. They just want to see some sort of training.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

if i had a nra basic pistol class cert that was issued by a connecticut instructor within the last 5 years, would that be accepted?
    yes!
    Paul J. Mattson
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

417 yes!
    Thank you kindly!
    America, where freedom* reigns.

*Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

-----------

“What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

DD214 with firearm training noted will qualify. Many with DD214 have been denied without firearm training noted.
    As long as it has basic training / OCS or the equivalent for the branch in question it should count. I submitted both of mine with range qualification cards attached and was approved no problem.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Freiheit417 View Post
    Hello all,

I don't see anything in section (5) specifically stating that the training certificate must be issued by a Maine certified instructor.

If I had a NRA Basic Pistol Class cert that was issued by a Connecticut instructor within the last 5 years, would that be accepted? My most recent Basic Pistol cert is from 1995. Before I take the course (in CT) again, I was looking for some re-assurance that it would suffice if I went with an instructor in CT.

Is there anything implied in "recognized as knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority" such as being a Maine certified instructor?
    417 yes!
    Good to know. I had planned on using my NRA Basic obtained here in PA.....but....now that PA and ME have reciprocity I guess I no longer need the ME permit.

Good to know. I had planned on using my NRA Basic obtained here in PA.....but....now that PA and ME have reciprocity I guess I no longer need the ME permit.
    Where did you see PA permits are accepted in Maine? The Maine State Police website shows:

Maine has reciprocal agreements with the following States for resident concealed handgun permits:
    • Delaware (March 13, 2009)
    • South Dakota (May 18, 2009)
    • Louisiana (June 25, 2009)
    • North Dakota - Class 1 Permits (June 7, 2010)
    • Wyoming (June 7, 2010)
    • Arkansas (June 21, 2010)

Last edited by mrjam2jab; 11-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Many more in the pipeline~
    Paul J. Mattson
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Does the 11/1/2011 date on that document initiate the reciprocity or is there more paperwork that has to be filed for it to be official?

Many more in the pipeline~
    Are you referring to the federal reciprocity bill, or a new effort w/in Maine to re-examine reciprocity?

Within Maine effort.
    Paul J. Mattson
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Looks like PA only recognizes resident permits from Maine and vise versa.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Looks like PA only recognizes resident permits from Maine and vise versa.
    ME is one of the 6 states that only recognizes Resident permits. The PA portion is odd in that PA "normally" doesn't care as to state of residence.

3rd Paragraph here

Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.

ME is one of the 6 states that only recognizes Resident permits. The PA portion is odd in that PA "normally" doesn't care as to state of residence.

3rd Paragraph here
    Yeah I knew Maine only accepted resident permits but from what I can tell from the agreement PA doesn't take Maine's non-resident which is odd. Perhaps email the PA AG.

Many states don't recognize another states non-Resident permit.
    Paul J. Mattson
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Many states don't recognize another states non-Resident permit.
    Actually it's only Maine, NH, Florida, Michigan, South Carolina, and Colorado that don't. Most states do. PA is one that does recognize non-resident.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast