• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit Training Requirement

mrjam2jab

Does a hunter safety class meet the requirement?

(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing
authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof
that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a
course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a
federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms
instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as
knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by the
state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other
document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that
the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.

crdonov

Dont need a training class if you were in the Military!!! I was in the Military, i took a class to better understand the laws when carrying a firearm...

XD-Over

carry for myself

yes. my boss was a JAG judge and lawer in the Army, so therefore he does not require any training to get his CCW. His wife expressed to me desire to take a course, and i convinced him to take it with her *seeing as he is a little rusty :p*. i myself am actually looking for a few high level tactical courses to take, without paying the "frontsight" prices haha. things like low light, shooting from a seated position, from a car ect.

Training is always good. but a hunter safety course has NOTHING to do with concealing a weapon, or even a pistol to begin with. i would say take a proper course if you really want a Maine CHP. :)

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
yes. my boss was a JAG judge and lawer in the Army, so therefore he does not require any training to get his CCW. His wife expressed to me desire to take a course, and i convinced him to take it with her *seeing as he is a little rusty :p*. i myself am actually looking for a few high level tactical courses to take, without paying the "frontsight" prices haha. things like low light, shooting from a seated position, from a car ect.

Training is always good. but a hunter safety course has NOTHING to do with concealing a weapon, or even a pistol to begin with. i would say take a proper course if you really want a Maine CHP. :)

Weaponcraft offers some great courses and they offer discounts to MOCA members. Give them a call.

Freiheit417

Hello all,

I don't see anything in section (5) specifically stating that the training certificate must be issued by a Maine certified instructor.

5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing
authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof
that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a
course that included handgun safety offered by
or under the supervision of a
federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms
instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as
knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority
or by the
state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other
document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that
the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.

If I had a NRA Basic Pistol Class cert that was issued by a Connecticut instructor within the last 5 years, would that be accepted? My most recent Basic Pistol cert is from 1995. Before I take the course (in CT) again, I was looking for some re-assurance that it would suffice if I went with an instructor in CT.

Is there anything implied in "recognized as knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority" such as being a Maine certified instructor?

xmanhockey7

I went through a Michigan CPL class taught by a guy who was not NRA certified (certified as a firearms instructor for police not NRA) and that worked. They just want to see some sort of training.

ep0k

DD214 with firearm training noted will qualify. Many with DD214 have been denied without firearm training noted.

As long as it has basic training / OCS or the equivalent for the branch in question it should count. I submitted both of mine with range qualification cards attached and was approved no problem.

mrjam2jab

Hello all,

I don't see anything in section (5) specifically stating that the training certificate must be issued by a Maine certified instructor.

If I had a NRA Basic Pistol Class cert that was issued by a Connecticut instructor within the last 5 years, would that be accepted? My most recent Basic Pistol cert is from 1995. Before I take the course (in CT) again, I was looking for some re-assurance that it would suffice if I went with an instructor in CT.

Is there anything implied in "recognized as knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority" such as being a Maine certified instructor?

Good to know. I had planned on using my NRA Basic obtained here in PA.....but....now that PA and ME have reciprocity I guess I no longer need the ME permit. :D

boyscout399

Good to know. I had planned on using my NRA Basic obtained here in PA.....but....now that PA and ME have reciprocity I guess I no longer need the ME permit. :D

Where did you see PA permits are accepted in Maine? The Maine State Police website shows:

Maine has reciprocal agreements with the following States for resident concealed handgun permits:
  • Delaware (March 13, 2009)
  • South Dakota (May 18, 2009)
  • Louisiana (June 25, 2009)
  • North Dakota - Class 1 Permits (June 7, 2010)
  • Wyoming (June 7, 2010)
  • Arkansas (June 21, 2010)