Thread: The Rag Shepherd Express article on new concealed carry law

The Rag Shepherd Express article on new concealed carry law

I realize that the Shepherd Express is a total rag but as I was out in downtown Milwaukee during lunch this week, I’ve noticed the Express cover addressing concealed carry and “Are You Ready?” (my preferred reading over lunch might be The Onion – it’s more factual). I couldn’t resist but I would suggest reading at your own risk of spewing on your computer. You know how the article will go when the opening paragraph describes it being my “long-held dream of legally obtaining a permit that will allow [me] to carry concealed weapons in bars, day care centers, churches and even the state Capitol.”

Of course, Chief Flynn in Milwaukee is quoted heavily. Criminals and the mentally ill will be obtaining permits to carry and, of course, it will certainly lead to an increase in gun crimes. Flynn engages in fear mongering to the extreme. It would almost be funny if it wasn't the chief of police making such inflamatory, ridiculous comments. Nik Clark is quoted but of course the only published quote pertains to the fact that the AG’s rules extend beyond the statute.

http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/arti...y-and-you.html

But again this is a rag and I wouldn’t expect anything different.

"Still galling to Flynn is the fact that the penalty for illegally carrying a concealed weapon is still remarkably low—a misdemeanor and a small fine—no matter how many times an individual has been arrested for carrying."

Am I wrong or is that small fine up to $10,000?

What? You don't have 10 grand laying around ready to cover potential fines imposed by Flynn.

Flynn said that almost half of those convicted of homicides in 2011 would have been eligible for concealed weapons permits because they hadn't been convicted of a felony before committing murder. About 75% of convicted robbers could get a permit at the time of their crime, too, Flynn said.
    ....We don't want to allow potential murderers and robbers to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons because then they will carry concealed weapons and commit robberies and murders and we can't allow that to happen...wait, I'm confused.

"Hartford Avenue University elementary school, which is located on campus, will continue to have a 1,000-foot gun-free zone."
    While this is technically true, it is also misleading to people in the "general public". Because as we all know, with a license, there is no 1000 foot rule.
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mlutz View Post
    "Hartford Avenue University elementary school, which is located on campus, will continue to have a 1,000-foot gun-free zone."
    While this is technically true, it is also misleading to people in the "general public". Because as we all know, with a license, there is no 1000 foot rule.
    Exactly right.

As long as police chief Flynn is focused on potential future criminals who ARE able to get a CCW license legally, it would be great to hear his percentages on how many current Milwaukee police, have domestic violence, and other issues and ARE NOT able to get a CCW license. Probably even more if some of the police did not get special delayed/no prosecution or undeserved plea bargaining.

Also interested in how poorly his police force is doing in reducing the number of drivers operating potentially (often) deadly automobiles/trucks, without a valid drivers license.

He is worried about law-abiding citizens getting a CCW license.

Not worried about law-breaking drivers that do NOT have an operators license.
    Last edited by E6chevron; 10-26-2011 at 02:10 AM.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

"You can't fix stupid" - Forrest Gump

Agree with the analogy on driving and CC licenses.

Drivers basically get away with murder routinely ("I didn't see him"; "He came out of nowhere" are both considered "valid defenses" for running over pedestrians or cyclists.

He's got a few thousand CC licensees and a few hundred thousand drivers impaired or with suspended licenses so, (hmmm) let's see which one to focus on?
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by McNutty View Post
    ....We don't want to allow potential murderers and robbers to obtain permits to carry concealed weapons because then they will carry concealed weapons and commit robberies and murders and we can't allow that to happen...wait, I'm confused.
    Logic, they don't believe in it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk