• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No blue card required?

28kfps

I may have thought about this before making the purchase. I live and work in Nye County for the past 22 years. I will be picking up a new firearm at Surlock gun shop in Henderson obviously Clark County. Am I going to be able to walk out with the firearm and no blue card? Not looking for self-appointed expert opinions however, I am looking if anyone who has facts, firsthand experience or data on such issue.

The Big Guy

I may have thought about this before making the purchase. I live and work in Nye County for the past 22 years. I will be picking up a new firearm at Surlock gun shop in Henderson obviously Clark County. Am I going to be able to walk out with the firearm and no blue card? Not looking for self-appointed expert opinions however, I am looking if anyone who has facts, firsthand experience or data on such issue.

Call Spurlocks and ask them. They should know. Or, call metro and ask them. (I'd be interested if Metro could give you a straight answer).

The law says Clark County residents must register within 72 hours. Non residents residing in Clark County for over 60 days must register. You don't qualify on either. Seems clear to me.

TBG

usmcmustang

Do gun shops even issue blue cards? I thought you had to take the gun to the cop shop.

Gun shops can be a one-stop shop... they do issue blue cards... and laminate them for you too !!!! Since the OP is not a resident of Clark County I would ASSUME he would be treated like any other out-of-county resident who buys a gun within Clark County... NO registration/blue card required.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I can't point you to anything in writing, but I remember distinctly hearing last year that Clark County gun shops would no longer be required to register firearms and issue blue cards to non-County residents. Previously it had been standard practice to do so simply because you were purchasing the firearm in the County. I know friends in Nye County that have blue cards from before that time.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Reading in METRO's Manual, which I understand is NOT law. I see that it is not compulsery for Henderson, NLV Boulder city to register firearms. It mentions nothing about gun shops, I suggest when talking with an owner of a gun shop, that we ask him/ her, if they have ever been sued over an employee filling out a registration form wrong, it might cause some heartburn as you cannot get the one stop shop handled, however your form that gets filled out has the entry persons ID on it, if it is filled out wrong by METRO, they cannot push the blame.

usmcmustang

Reading in METRO's Manual, which I understand is NOT law. I see that it is not compulsery for Henderson, NLV Boulder city to register firearms. It mentions nothing about gun shops, I suggest when talking with an owner of a gun shop, that we ask him/ her, if they have ever been sued over an employee filling out a registration form wrong, it might cause some heartburn as you cannot get the one stop shop handled, however your form that gets filled out has the entry persons ID on it, if it is filled out wrong by METRO, they cannot push the blame.

Here's an email exchange I had with a Clark County gun shop representative...

Me: If I am a resident of a county in Nevada, other than Clark County, but I come to Clark County to purchase a firearm, am I still subject to the Clark County registration? In other words, if I come to your shop, show you by ID that I am NOT a resident of Clark County and I tell you that I do not intend to become a resident, do I still have to register (blue card) my firearm in Clark County? Thanks.

--
Him: No, you get to be a free American and will not have to put up with the bugsy seagal gun registration crap that we do. It used to be the case that you would have to comply, but a year or so ago, they stopped doing it. I would hope they are getting the idea they will loose the whole registration crap when some of the law suits come up.

Last edited:

28kfps

Thanks for the input from all. One of the many reason to check this site out. Great info and and very little B.S.. I took TBG advice call the shop. It is up to me to register the gun. Since I am not a Clark County resident no registering requirement.

MAC702, I purchased a firearm 6 years ago from the same shop. I was less sensitive to the blue card issue back then and ended up walking out with the new firearm and a blue card, which goes along with what you were suggesting. The shops back then may have being required to register.

DTOM The shop was very up front when I called. He said just needed to verify I am a Nevada Resident, fill out state required stuff, out the door with the new toys without the blue card.

Last edited:

28kfps

SNIP.. bolded for emphasis

What is required by the State when a firearm is sold by a business? Did he mean ATF stuff?

I had to fill out a form last month when I purchased my new handgun in Pahrump, from a gun store, but thought it was ATF not State.

It would look as if you did answered your own question. I should have said paperwork and left out the word state, my word not his. I did not intended it to be a quote. However,good question good catch.

28kfps

Walked into Spurlock’s gun shop for the second time and the past week open carrying. Sign on the door says firearms must be empty and cleared or words to that effect unless you have a CCW. I was never asked if I had a CCW however, I do. No issues open carrying into the shop.

He is a long time ago co-worker and acquaintance decided not to ask about open carrying in the shop since it was never an issue. Others have posted no issues open carrying in Spurlock’s. Very friendly good prices. Out of habit as the paperwork was being completed the clerk did have a blue card to fill out. I told her I did not need it.