• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Campus Protest @ VT, 11/17/11 @11:30 AM

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
**Mark your calendars, this is going to be big and you're going to want to be part of it!**

We have approval for the protest from 8 AM to 4 PM on Thursday, November 17th. While some of us will be there early, the main protest will start at 11:30 AM and run until 4 PM. Speakers will start at 12 Noon and continue until 1:30 PM. We will need lots of people to carry signs, pass out literature, and answer questions.

This should be an excellent day to be on campus as it is a game day (UNC vs VT), allowing us maximum visibility. We are also looking at having a presence in nearby Blacksburg.

The protest will be held in front of the Squires Student Center (College Ave./Otey Street side), not far from the town of Blacksburg or the VT Drillfield.

More details will follow, including parking information and possible carpooling from area localities.

A very special thanks to Eric Smith, President of the Libertarians at Virginia Tech. The Libertarians are hosting the protest and Eric is working hard to make the protest a success, patiently working his way through the VT bureaucracy to get the event approved.

Another powerful force in bringing everything together is John Wilburn, a VT alumni. He has been doing all kinds of coordination behind the scenes and he, too, has made it a personal mission to make the protest a huge success.

This is a mission to save lives and that drives both Eric and John, just like it drives all of VCDL's membership.

There is no way this would have come together so well without Eric and John!

Oh, and as if John isn't doing enough already, besides running his own business (Hokie Real Estate, Inc.), he is a firearms instructor and will be giving away free CHP classes to two lucky attendees!

Thanks also to EMs Dave Hicks and Dave Knight, who are helping with both the VT and the Radford protests.

Radford and JMU students - come to Virginia Tech on November 17th and stand with Virginia Tech students in support of freedom and liberty. VCDL will ask the VT students to do the same when we announce the Radford and JMU protests in the near future.

Wild horses couldn't keep me away - see you there!

No guns? NO FUNDS! (Remember: Donations for Virginia Tech can be sent to Blue Ridge Community College instead. )

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Car pooling from Richmond - 2 seats ('cause I think Grapeshot has hired me as his chauffeur).

I'm volunteering to coordinate other carpooling if folks need that done. Post rides wanted/rides available from X to VT and I'll try to match you up. Please be up front about if you want/need gas money.

stay safe.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I am thinking of Chartering a bus from Northern VA. Departure will be around 0600 to arrive around 1100. Depart VA Tech around 1600 for return to Nova around 2100. Price will be $40.00 per person. Payment needs to be made by 11/4/11. if we don't have enough people, I will refund money and cancel bus.

http://vcdl.us/vtbus

Ed

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I am thinking of Chartering a bus from Northern VA. Departure will be around 0600 to arrive around 1100. Depart VA Tech around 1600 for return to Nova around 2100. Price will be around $30.00 per person if enough interest is shown.

Ed

Ed, I would be interested in that. I would also be interested in carpooling.

t33j

Car pooling from Richmond - 2 seats ('cause I think Grapeshot has hired me as his chauffeur).

I'm volunteering to coordinate other carpooling if folks need that done. Post rides wanted/rides available from X to VT and I'll try to match you up. Please be up front about if you want/need gas money.

stay safe.

I'd like to join you. Current circumstances may require that I be out of state around that time. I'll let you know as soon as I can in that case.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'd like to join you. Current circumstances may require that I be out of state around that time. I'll let you know as soon as I can in that case.

You have a seat. PM me later for details on when/where to meet.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Chet Szymecki is looking for a ride from Williamsburg/Yorktown. Anybody willing to take a known troublemaker? (OK, he wasn't really the troublemaker, but troublemakeree justs sounds so awkward.)

stay safe.

t33j

Chet Szymecki is looking for a ride from Williamsburg/Yorktown. Anybody willing to take a known troublemaker? (OK, he wasn't really the troublemaker, but troublemakeree justs sounds so awkward.)

stay safe.

I can certainly drive him to Richmond. I guess one more from this area and I might as well drive myself + 2.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I can certainly drive him to Richmond. I guess one more from this area and I might as well drive myself + 2.

That fills my vehicle.

I'll get back with Chet and let you two work out details on getting to Richmond.

stay safe.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The Antis are making a strong showing in the comments area. With their usual non-sense. I would suggest giving a hand to counter this....

If you are suggesting that we submit comments refuting them, I think we would be wasting our time. Those folks have no concept of what the right to self defense entails or why anyone at a collergewould need to means to exercise that right. They are conditioned to believe that the police are there to protect them. They are also afraid of "Wild West shot [sic] outs" because they have so little self control that is what they would do, and they believe we would, too.

Those are the folks that are afraid of guns and afraid of people who have guns but when something bad happens the first thing they do is get on the telephone and ask for people with guns to come running to save the day and their sorry backsides. Somehow I need to wrap my head in duct tape every time I write that because it hurts so badly from tryting to find the logic in their behavior.

As for the comments about the "insensitivity" of holding a protest at VT where so many lost their life due to not being allowed to have the means to effectively provide for their own self defense - do you really think any of those commenters understand the honor and respect the activity shows to those victims?

stay safe.

TFred

Old Virginia Joe

On the other hand, for those new to the concept or on the fence, some logic and reason would give them some much needed counterbalance.

Yes, Mr. President, I agree, and let me add this as a suggestion: As a Hokie grad and former Army officer, commissioned through that Corps of Cadets and ROTC program there in Blacksburg, I would suggest we "grease the skids" and "prep the ground" there at VT BEFORE we have the rally, by doing the following. Have VCDL contact the student newspaper there, the Collegiate Times (CT), and offer (1) an interview with the VCDL President, or (2) a guest column by the VCDL President, either or both to be published in the paper there for the students to get a foreknowledge of why we are coming to their campus. Philip is very persuasive, and given the opportunity to introduce VCDL before we get there can likely gain us more support among the student ranks, than would otherwise be there to shout us down. Just my .02.

VCDL President

Centurion
Yes, Mr. President, I agree, and let me add this as a suggestion: As a Hokie grad and former Army officer, commissioned through that Corps of Cadets and ROTC program there in Blacksburg, I would suggest we "grease the skids" and "prep the ground" there at VT BEFORE we have the rally, by doing the following. Have VCDL contact the student newspaper there, the Collegiate Times (CT), and offer (1) an interview with the VCDL President, or (2) a guest column by the VCDL President, either or both to be published in the paper there for the students to get a foreknowledge of why we are coming to their campus. Philip is very persuasive, and given the opportunity to introduce VCDL before we get there can likely gain us more support among the student ranks, than would otherwise be there to shout us down. Just my .02.

Great minds think alike ;-) We are already moving. Announcements will come when the time is right.

vt357

As a VT alumni I really wish I could make this event. To add insult to injury not only can I not attend, I will be unarmed in Bloomberg's NYC that week. :(