Thread: Record-Low --- 26% in U.S. Favor Handgun Ban

Founder's Club Member

Record-Low --- 26% in U.S. Favor Handgun Ban

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150341/Re...ndgun-Ban.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- A record-low 26% of Americans favor a legal ban on the possession of handguns in the United States other than by police and other authorized people. When Gallup first asked Americans this question in 1959, 60% favored banning handguns. But since 1975, the majority of Americans have opposed such a measure, with opposition around 70% in recent years.

I'm liking those numbers! Hope the trend continues!

"My eyes have seen the glory"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good news, but a quarter of our population still consists of idiots.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-26-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Not only that, but they found that most people oppose "assault" rifle bans, as well:

"For the first time, Gallup finds greater opposition to than support for a ban on semiautomatic guns or assault rifles, 53% to 43%. In the initial asking of this question in 1996, the numbers were nearly reversed, with 57% for and 42% against an assault rifle ban. Congress passed such a ban in 1994, but the law expired when Congress did not act to renew it in 2004. Around the time the law expired, Americans were about evenly divided in their views." - Source

I'm thinking most people are waking up and realizing the term "assault" was crafted, or at least borrowed, by the media for the sole purpose of stirring up a negative connotation. I think media distrust has risen sharply in the last 20 years with the rise of the Internet and the proliferation of alternative, but legitimate sources of information have come to supplant media drivel.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post

I'm thinking most people are waking up and realizing the term "assault" was crafted, or at least borrowed, by the media for the sole purpose of stirring up a negative connotation. I think media distrust has risen sharply in the last 20 years with the rise of the Internet and the proliferation of alternative, but legitimate sources of information have come to supplant media drivel.
    Very well stated!

I hadn't thought of this, but you're right...legitimate sources of information, such as this forum, for example, help to stymie the bias of television news and the printed page.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired