• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the Clark County Metro police station for CCW seminar?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What are the laws AND your opinions?

Here's the deal. I am a long-time firearms instructor, but a recently approved NV CCW instructor. There is a meeting next Wednesday evening (Nov. 2 @ 1800) at the new Cop Shop on MLK. CCW instructors are invited to this seminar for helpful information about recent changes and stuff. It is not required.

I ASSume we cannot CCW to this meeting, being in the Cop Shop.

Based on NV preemption, I ASSume we can LEGALLY OC. But should we? If we ALL did, it would be nice, but I'd hate to be the only one because I expect that I would be hassled for it.

I am thinking of E-mailing Sgt. Brown's office and asking for a ruling. If he or his staff replies, it would put in writing from his office that I am legally able to do so, right?

Vegassteve

Yes there is no law prohib OC at the cop shop. As Dont Tread O Me found out though you may get drawn down on. At least at a NHP shop he did. I suspect if you ask them they will tell you no, but then I would force them to show the NRS.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If I E-mail their office, I also have the ability to carbon copy (openly or blindly) everyone else to whom the initial invitation E-mail was sent, about 60 other instructors. Good idea? or Bad idea?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
As expected, even though this seminar was in a very nice lecture room right off the main courtyard and no where near any police offices, there was a HANDWRITTEN sign at the front door saying "No firearms" and a picture of a revolver. So here's the full effect of this expected policy.

Because of other circumstances, I needed to take my motorcycle this evening. This is a small bike with no place to lock up a firearm. So for the entire evening, I was disarmed my Metro Police. Yes, in reality, that is what happened. I had errands to run on that side of town (MLK & Alta; MLK & Carey; and Aliante), and without driving back to my residence on the other side of the valley, I was required to do all of it unarmed for the simple fact that Metro violated State Law by forbidding me to bring my firearm into a publicly owned building. Yes, I left clear instructions with my parents that if something happened to me, they would need to find a really good lawyer...

This was a room full of state-approved CCW instructors. And we are so untrustworthy to pack a firearm in the presence of police. How ridiculous does this really sound? I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it really bugged me all night, especially since I was probably the only one that wasn't able to rearm in the parking lot, also full of police officers.

Interesting side note, when one instructor mentioned his students being harassed by NLV (which was supported by many instructors) one of the police officers at the front of the room actually brought up State Preemption!

That said, it was a good seminar overall. Gun registration and open carry were specifically topics not to be discussed, though he specifically admitted open carry was legal and could we leave it at that; this was oddly met with a "hmph" by someone in the front row.

We had enough dumb questions about CCW from people that really should know better, anyway. This new sergeant in charge is "only" five months into the job, and has lots of other jobs on his plate, but I really hope he gets more up to speed soon. He was pleasant and I think wants a two-way relationship with us.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

OK so I have a few questions. Did they ask you to disarm? Or did you just follow the sign? What station was this? Officer in charge name? Who said the blue card and OC were not to be discussed? And did they mean at this meeting or in class?

Thanks

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I believe it is legal to open carry in police departments regardless of their signage, but when I wanted to open carry at the Washoe County Sheriff's Office they put me in cuffs and did not relent to the law. I think they won't obey the law until a court makes them.

Last edited:

jdholmes

So they Put up a sign with a picture on it and no law?

And what right should they have to not let you rearm in the parking lot after disarming you? They should have had to stay right there with it...why should you be so inconvenienced for abiding by the real laws?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
OK so I have a few questions. Did they ask you to disarm? Or did you just follow the sign? What station was this? Officer in charge name? Who said the blue card and OC were not to be discussed? And did they mean at this meeting or in class?

Thanks

They only ASKED by means of the sign. As when this thread started, we expected this, and I didn't know a single person in the room and they held the power for my state certification. I was not going to make waves on this particular night. Since I expected the policy, I CHOSE to be disarmed for the entire night because I was in a mode of transportation that did not give me options for storage. I say I was disarmed by them because of the attitude they have demonstrated to the community in decades of examples and harassment of OC'ers, including ones I know personally.

I am fully aware that I could have caused a scene and demanded my right to bring my firearm and remain armed. I CHOSE not to do this. So I was, yes, disarmed, at their illegal written request, in my opinion.

This was a voluntary seminar for state CCW instructors given by the sergeant in charge, E. P. Brown. Turns out he seems like a nice guy, though I did not choose this opportunity to feel him out in this regard. He is also in charge of the "gun jail" when weapons are seized, and construction theft, completely unrelated to firearms.

Since Blue Cards and OC were not the purview of the seminar, it was stated at the outset that they were not topics for discussion (presumably for timing, among other things.) It was acknowledged that blue cards are not required to be carried and that OC was "legal." This was only for the seminar. We are still allowed great latitude in the classes that we ourselves teach. In fact, I use the NRA Personal Protection outline for part of my class and make a special note to the students that the NRA is very wrong because their material says that handguns must be concealed. My students are fully informed.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So they Put up a sign with a picture on it and no law?

And what right should they have to not let you rearm in the parking lot after disarming you? They should have had to stay right there with it...why should you be so inconvenienced for abiding by the real laws?

I agree. This was the price I CHOSE to pay for not making waves yet.

I could not rearm because I had no storage on my motorcycle, and had to leave the firearm at home if I was going to play nice.

I'm not asking for sympathy, folks. I'm simply informing the OC community of what I did and why. We still have a long way to go and I'm not as brave as some of you.

The Big Guy

I agree. This was the price I CHOSE to pay for not making waves yet.

I could not rearm because I had no storage on my motorcycle, and had to leave the firearm at home if I was going to play nice.

I'm not asking for sympathy, folks. I'm simply informing the OC community of what I did and why. We still have a long way to go and I'm not as brave as some of you.

We all do our part to level we are comfortable with. Thanks for letting us know. Maybe someone could take a few minutes to gather the facts and simply write a letter asking what authority they had to do that?

TBG

Vegassteve

We all do our part to level we are comfortable with. Thanks for letting us know. Maybe someone could take a few minutes to gather the facts and simply write a letter asking what authority they had to do that?

TBG

Working on that. That was the reason for my questions to him.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Working on that. That was the reason for my questions to him.

I, too, am considering writing a letter. Would it be best to do so independently from you?

I was also thinking of writing a letter to the State Representative(s) who authored the State Preemption Law, asking them if they are aware of its constant violation.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yes.

If you write your only letter, that makes two letters.

If you crib from his letter, yours will be considered the second signature on a form letter.

Yeah, I didn't mean using his letter, only mentioning it, him, or this place in mine. Sorry for the confusion; my fault.