• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To register, Or not to register, that is the question??

DonRow

So I'm just wondering how my people here thinks registering any gun with local LEO, is a violation of the 2nd?

Sorry if this question was brought up before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KRM59

Violation of 2A

I have to agree with Ruger. I am in no way an expert on anything but the only reason behind registering your firearm with LE or any other government department would be for them to know where to go to take them from you. as for the Violating aspect, theres nothing in the constitution about the registration of firearms, so i guess it wouldn't be violating the 2A. with that said it still is not IMHO a way to stop any type of crime, bar theft. but you know as well as i do a bad guy is not going to register a weapon anyways and they already get caught with firearms that are stolen. It is always the best path when government is left out of things.

DonRow

The reason why I ask is here in Hawaii my friend ask them why we need to register and the only reason they could come up with was "just in case it get stolen" then he said to them "you know this is a violation of my 2nd and maybe 4th amendment right" and all he said he got was a blank stare. :/

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
So I'm just wondering how my people here thinks registering any gun with local LEO, is a violation of the 2nd?

This question? Nah bro, this hasn't been brought up here....
34ifcrb.jpg

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The reason why I ask is here in Hawaii my friend ask them why we need to register and the only reason they could come up with was "just in case it get stolen" then he said to them "you know this is a violation of my 2nd and maybe 4th amendment right" and all he said he got was a blank stare. :/

Just in case it gets stolen...

That is why I maintain my own private list of my firearms with serial numbers and photos. I keep it in a secure place and if one of my guns were to be stolen then I would have the option of providing that information to the authorities.

KRM59

Just in case it gets stolen...

That is why I maintain my own private list of my firearms with serial numbers and photos. I keep it in a secure place and if one of my guns were to be stolen then I would have the option of providing that information to the authorities.

+1

JoeSparky

Centurion

Let me answer your query with my own.

Name ANOTHER Constitutionally PROTECTED right mentioned in the BILL of RIGHTS that ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY ANYWHERE in the US requires REGISTRATION?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OK, you got me there. Is there ANY other?

Hmmm - feeling very perverse today. Let's see - Life, liberty and ...oh, oh, back up life.

Birth registration - from the day we are born, we are registered.

Liberty - remember the military draft registration? Deprived you of your liberty when you were drafted.

Pursuit of Happiness - marriage certificate/registration required.

Death - yep, you get logged out or registered as the case may be.

When it comes to being "registered", we have everything but the tattoo, bar code and chip..:uhoh:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Hmmm - feeling very perverse today. Let's see - Life, liberty and ...oh, oh, back up life.

Birth registration - from the day we are born, we are registered.

Liberty - remember the military draft registration? Deprived you of your liberty when you were drafted.

Pursuit of Happiness - marriage certificate/registration required.

Death - yep, you get logged out or registered as the case may be.

When it comes to being "registered", we have everything but the tattoo, bar code and chip..:uhoh:

Let me see.... Birth registration is NOT something the NEWBORN must do. Not Required in BILL OF RIGHTS
Registered for the draft--- never drafted. Don't think that a standing army is even approved of in the BILL OF RIGHTS
Pursuit of Happiness.... all depends upon what it is that you are pursuing. No requirement included in BILL OF RIGHTS
Death reporting is not required to be done by the recently deceased person. no requirement in the BILL OF RIGHTS

I am, however, just waiting for the infamous mark of the devil to be placed in all of our foreheads (I personally think this is a RETINAL SCAN). And how would someone from 2000 years ago in a donkey cart economy describe a retinal scan device in order to buy or sell as is described in the Bible (Not asking if you believe or not--- that is your business, just using as example.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OK, Grapeshot, my friend, let me rephrase---- In the context of the OP query, ....?

Ah soo, believe that it is so. Definitely see firearms registration as an infringement on our RKBA.

See many (all?) of the previously mention "registrations" onerous in themselves also.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Let me answer your query with my own. Name ANOTHER Constitutionally PROTECTED right mentioned in the BILL of RIGHTS that ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY ANYWHERE in the US requires REGISTRATION?
There is no Constitutional right to vote. The Fifteenth Amendment presumes an non-existent right to vote when it forbids denial or abridgement for particular reasons. "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude." The registration requirement denies the privilege of voting to the unregistered.

Various states have guaranteed enfranchisement but not the federal Constitution.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is no Constitutional right to vote. The Fifteenth Amendment presumes an non-existent right to vote when it forbids denial or abridgement for particular reasons. "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude." The registration requirement denies the privilege of voting to the unregistered.

Various states have guaranteed enfranchisement but not the federal Constitution.

Respectfully disagree.

It specifies therein quite clearly the "right of citizens of the United States to vote" "shall not be denied"......

If you hold that there be no prior creation of that right, then by virtue of the 15th Amendment it was accomplished. The 19th Amendment uses the same "right to vote" verbiage and therewith strengthens "shall not be denied."

CommonMan101

I'm hoping you meant pre-existing in stead of non. It really doesn't make any sense to me if you meant non.The rights are natural and predate the constitution. The constitution does not give us any rights - just tries to protect us from the Govt trampling on them.

Methinks your perspective may need adjustment if you believe we get them from the constitution and don't have any if they burn the document metaphorically or literally.

So they are not Constitutional rights but instead Constitutionally protected rights. Big difference if you think about it.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

SCOTUS BUSH ET AL. v. GORE ET AL 531 U.S. 98,

"The individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for the President of the United States unless and until the state legislature chooses a statewide election as the means to implement its power to appoint members of the electoral college. U. S. Const., Art. II, § 1." Per curiam ¶ 104 My epmphasis