• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for local OCers near Dickenson county in Haysi

paramedic

I have just recently moved from Prince William county back home. I now live in southwest Virginia, and by that I mean very southwest. Those of us here do not consider Roanoke to be southwest. I am in Dickenson county in Haysi. I would like to find other OCers in the area to meet and possibly do some shooting with.

TFred

I have just recently moved from Prince William county back home. I now live in southwest Virginia, and by that I mean very southwest. Those of us here do not consider Roanoke to be southwest. I am in Dickenson county in Haysi. I would like to find other OCers in the area to meet and possibly do some shooting with.
I live a LONG way from there... but just wanted to remind you to update your profile location! :)

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you're a native you should know that there is a different class of OC'er there.

Stick a rifle in the car/truck and your handgun on the seat.
Forget you were ever up north and develop a group of locals that want to have a Saturday or maybe Sunday since it's hunting season, OC breakfast.
Monthly dinners are a great way to get new recruits.

People there grew up with a gun in their hand. Not necessarily a handgun, but a gun.
Don't try to make them what you left.

You aren't likely to find many from the area on this board...unfortunately.
Even VCDL has neglected South West Virginia and much of the Piedmont also.

Last edited:

altajava

If you're a native you should know that there is a different class of OC'er there.

Forget you were ever up north and develop a group of locals that want to have a Saturday or maybe Sunday since it's hunting season, OC breakfast.

People there grew up with a gun in their hand. Not necessarily a handgun, but a gun.

I don't feel neglected. Perhaps I'm missing something?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't feel neglected. Perhaps I'm missing something?

No, my mistake. I wasn't counting NOVA, just the southern tips of Piedmont. You all are where VCDL originated. I was just looking at non DC/Md annex targets:p

I guess I should include Southside Va. in where VCDL is scarce.
I'm not sure I've ever met a VCDL member from Lunenburg or south and I know I've never met one from Dickinson.

There's just no presence there.

paramedic

No, my mistake. I wasn't counting NOVA, just the southern tips of Piedmont. You all are where VCDL originated. I was just looking at non DC/Md annex targets:p

I guess I should include Southside Va. in where VCDL is scarce.
I'm not sure I've ever met a VCDL member from Lunenburg or south and I know I've never met one from Dickinson.

There's just no presence there.

First of it is Dickenson LOL, but on the serious side, any suggestions how I can help change that

Cmdr_Haggis

First of it is Dickenson LOL, but on the serious side, any suggestions how I can help change that

Just start by being an ambassador. If you spot folks who seem to be like-minded, approach them and start a conversation. Hand them a VCDL card, mention OCDO, and encourage them to check them both out. You may actually unearth some "lurkers". Added benefit being you've likely made a new friend.

Other suggestions would be to post flyers in the local hangouts. The gun store, the coffee shop, anywhere there is a "public information" board. Some newspapers let one print a short "blurb" very nearly for free, especially if it a "public service" sort of thing. Or you could write a letter to the editor and mention how wonderful it is to live in a wonderful place such as Virginia where your rights are so welcomed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Sorry...Dragon Speak was designed for people with accents. SINCE MOUNTAIN PEOPLE HAVE NO ACCENT AT ALL, it has a problem with some words.

Correcting it is easy. Just start small and expand it. Meals are good but just handing out cards works well. Just be ultra careful about private property rights. I don't have to tell you how set in their ways people there can be.

Marco

The OP is a lot further South but your sentiments reflect this area.
Luckily folks are coming around, I have a postive conversation with someone almost daily about firearms/rights.