• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Supressor?

SovereignAxe

Would you want to carry the long slide version of your favorite handgun? I certainly would not.

Putting a suppressor on even some of the most modest sized handguns makes them easily a foot long, most would end up being longer than that. Is that something you really want to carry around all day?

FMCDH

Unless you actually train and are familiar with how the pistol shoots with the suppressor attached, why would you want to?

Your only going to throw off your own aim, In an emergency which will normally throw you entirely back to muscle memory, it will be compromised by the can unless you have trained with it.

The only advantages that I see with a suppressor would be sound dampening and a bit of flash hinder. I would consider these far more important for an enclosed space, such as for home defense where you may normally be able to setup an ambush for an intruder.

In a split second street encounter, I just don't see it being enough of a help.

I also don't think the public is ready for that in our state. You would probably have people calling 911 claiming you were carrying an "Assault Rifle." :rolleyes:

onlurker

The suppressor's added weight to the front of the pistol reduces muzzle flip...

The weight helps but it's more to do with the slowing of the gasses and reduced muzzle energy that reduces recoil. It's a simple matter of physics, slow the gas and you reduce the energy of that gas. F=MA baby!

Your only going to throw off your own aim, In an emergency which will normally throw you entirely back to muscle memory, it will be compromised by the can unless you have trained with it.

The only advantages that I see with a suppressor would be sound dampening and a bit of flash hinder. I would consider these far more important for an enclosed space, such as for home defense where you may normally be able to setup an ambush for an intruder.

So what you're saying is shoot more often with the suppressor. I fail to see the downside to this other than more cleaning :lol:

Last edited:

SigPacker

It was something I was looking into - concealed since adding a suppressor would sure draw attention to your gun and be a target for a vary valuable item for a criminal as opposed to just having a gun itself.

This would be my setup...

Hogue Powerspeed Holster
Sig 1911 Tac Ops Carry model
AAC TiRant 45

Several issues... YOU can't sit down... a normal holster will be way to slow on the draw.

tacprocarry.jpg

tacprocarry2.JPG

Last edited:

tombrewster421

It was something I was looking into - concealed since adding a suppressor would sure draw attention to your gun and be a target for a vary valuable item for a criminal as opposed to just having a gun itself.

This would be my setup...

Hogue Powerspeed Holster
Sig 1911 Tac Ops Carry model
AAC TiRant 45

Several issues... YOU can't sit down... a normal holster will be way to slow on the draw.

tacprocarry.jpg

tacprocarry2.JPG

So are the sights just barely tall enough to see over the can? I wouldn't use one if it obstructed my sights. But that's just me. :)

J_Douglass

there are sights out there that are raised up in order to see over the can. They come nighthawks with threaded barrells. Other guns have them available as well

Agent 47

My silencer came with a specific holster for the silencer by itself. If i carry it I have the Sig220 OC strongside and the silencer holstered along with my spare magazines on the left. in a "quickdraw" situation I obviously wouldnt take the time to deploy it. But its comforting to have it with me if I find myself in a situation where it may be tactically adventagious to use it.