• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mandated Range Time....???????

Outdoorsman1

I was in Jalenski's (In Kenosha) and there was a young couple at the counter who had just purchased a sidearm and was asking about WI CCW classes. The store had signs advertizing classes posted. The clerk was telling them about the 4 hour mandate and that they offer 4 hour classes ($90.00) and eight hour classes (I think he said $125.00). Then he said something about mandated range time..????? I corrected him and said that the DOJ Emergency Rules only mandate 4 hour classes. He then said that he heard something on the news that they were going to add 4 hours ranges time as well as the already mandated 4 hour class time. I again said no, I don't think so because Governor Walker has already signed off on the Emergency Rules and madated range time was never mentioned and that it was already a done deal. He then changed the subject. Has anybody else heard this or (I think) was he (probably) just trying to sell range time to the unaware couple. :mad:

This happened about 5:30 this evening.

Outdoorsman1

HandyHamlet

Don't sweat it. It's Jalenski's. The clerks are all anti-carry of any sort and they have no clue. One clerk declared anyone who carries is an @sshole the first time I was ever there. As another clerk was helping me find a CC pistol... I looked at the WCInc printouts on the counter, handed back the Sig P380 and walked out.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I was in there once, and when I told the clerk that I was interested in a second CC pistol, he refused to sell to me. I laughed the whole way out the store. I'll never go back to that place.

McNutty

Fletcher Arms in Waukesha is offering cc classes - it is an 8 hour class "including live fire qualification" for $100 according to their website. I don't know that the live fire is being sold as required. I have no problem if someone makes the choice to take a course that involves a live fire component but would hope that it's not being sold as a mandate.

Outdoorsman1

So you know better, but still are worried? I'm confused...

Sorry I was not more clear.... Never said I was worried, just wondering if anybody else heard this on the news or if it was like I thought... Trying to sell unnesseasary range time.

Or I suppose he could have been taling about the NRA Class that actually does mandate range time, but I really don't think so....

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

protias

There is no mandate for range time. Clearly they are morons as he "saw it on the news so it must be true."

Trust but verify.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I was in there once, and when I told the clerk that I was interested in a second CC pistol, he refused to sell to me. I laughed the whole way out the store. I'll never go back to that place.

this is why I only buy from a private FFL who happens to be a good friend..plus not paying any mark up is always nice too.

MKEgal

The law as written says they can't require live fire.
Of course, the law as written says other things they can't do & have done anyway.
I think the clerk either doesn't know the law or was trying to sell range time.
Either way, he's a donkey.

MilProGuy

Sorry I was not more clear.... Never said I was worried, just wondering if anybody else heard this on the news or if it was like I thought... Trying to sell unnesseasary range time.

Your post was very clear.

I'm with you, it seems the range was attempting to sell some unnecessary range time.