• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA and WI reciprocity

Teej

I was just thinking about WI officially recognizing WA CPLs.

Well, I am sure WA will not publish true reciprocity until after Wi begins to isse permits, buttttt...RCW 9.41.073 says WA WILL (must?) recognize a WI permit...http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.073

What do you think?

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

WI is not fingerprinting - neither for the application itself nor the BG check specifically.

Teej

It's a NICS check, same as when you buy a firearm.

(9g) Background checks.
175.60(9g)(a)(a) The department shall conduct a background check regarding an applicant for a license using the following procedure:
175.60(9g)(a)1. 1. The department shall create a confirmation number associated with the applicant.
175.60(9g)(a)2. 2. The department shall conduct a criminal history record search and shall search its records and conduct a search in the national instant criminal background check system to determine whether the applicant is prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law; whether the applicant is prohibited from possessing a firearm under s. 941.29; whether the applicant is prohibited from possessing a firearm under s. 51.20 (13) (cv) 1., 2007 stats.; whether the applicant has been ordered not to possess a firearm under s. 51.20 (13) (cv) 1., 51.45 (13) (i) 1., 54.10 (3) (f) 1., or 55.12 (10) (a); whether the applicant is subject to an injunction under s. 813.12 or 813.122, or a tribal injunction, as defined in s. 813.12 (1) (e), issued by a court established by any federally recognized Wisconsin Indian tribe or band, except the Menominee Indian tribe of Wisconsin, that includes notice to the respondent that he or she is subject to the requirements and penalties under s. 941.29 and that has been filed with the circuit court under s. 806.247 (3); and whether the applicant is prohibited from possessing a firearm under s. 813.125 (4m); and to determine if the court has prohibited the applicant from possessing a dangerous weapon under s. 969.02 (3) (c) or 969.03 (1) (c) and if the applicant is prohibited from possessing a dangerous weapon as a condition of release under s. 969.01.
175.60(9g)(a)3. 3. As soon as practicable, the department shall do the following:
175.60(9g)(a)3.a. a. If the background check indicates sub. (3) (b), (c), (d), or (e) applies to the applicant, create a unique nonapproval number for the applicant.
175.60(9g)(a)3.b. b. If the completed background check does not indicate that sub. (3) (b), (c), (d), or (e) applies to the applicant, create a unique approval number for the applicant.
175.60(9g)(b) (b) The department shall maintain a record of all completed application forms and a record of all approval or nonapproval numbers regarding background checks under this subsection.
Effective date note NOTE: Sub. (9g) is created eff. 11-1-11 by 2011 Wis. Act 35.

Last edited: