• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Capitol to allow guns, Assembly on floor, in galleries.

MKEgal

they still don't understand the law...

Lawmakers are developing their own policies that would allow individual lawmakers to decide whether to allow guns into their offices.
They don't quite seem to grasp the concept...
The entire building may ban or allow.
Nothing in the law says they can make rules for their own little fiefdoms,
or the Senate vs. the Assembly,
or the gallery vs. the floor.
The law already prohibits in the courtroom; I think only while court is in session, but if someone can quote a statute to correct me I'd appreciate it.

Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller (D-Monona):
"I don't think there should be weapons in the Capitol," Miller said. "People should be able to enter public buildings and feel safe. . . . There's children who come in the building, for Pete's sake."
Yes, Mr. Miller, people should be able to feel safe in a public building.
And with the ability to protect ourselves, we will.
Aren't your children worth protecting, in any way you can?
Or are you saying that you think the citizens who have gone through the rigamarole of having yet another background check & paying a tax to exercise their rights in a publicly-owned building are dangerous?
And if you think we are dangerous, why don't you keep the metal detectors & armed guards to keep the criminals out? (You know, the people who break laws & harm innocent people.)

I disagree with banning cameras or signs in the galleries.
These are public servants working in a public building. They are open to scrutiny.
And the freedom of speech thing?
How can they even think of infringing that right? They can't even pretend there's any "public safety interest".

bmwguy11

LOL wtf. They inserted this little bit into the middle of the story, which had ZERO to do with anything else in the entire story.

On Thursday, a jury in Milwaukee found Jesus Gonzalez guilty of first-degree reckless homicide and first-degree reckless injury in the May 2010 shootings of two unarmed men on the south side. Gonzalez had been an advocate of openly and legally carrying guns for self-protection, a movement that grew in Wisconsin during the time when the state prohibited concealed carry.

Gonzalez argued that he acted in self-defense but presented no real case at trial and has never spoken publicly about the shootings beyond what he told a 911 operator

Last edited:

MKEgal

I'm glad the State has (at least for now, & conditionally) decided that lawfully-armed citizens are not a threat & should be allowed in taxpayer-owned buildings.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statep...n-capitol-most-state-buildings-132785253.html
Dana Brueck, a spokeswoman for Van Hollen and the state Department of Justice, made clear Friday that under the law, visitors with concealed carry permits can carry their weapons openly or hidden in public buildings in Wisconsin unless it's posted to prohibit the weapons. The guns could include a handgun as well as a shotgun, hunting rifle or semiautomatic assault rifle as long as the firearm is legal to possess, she said.
:banghead:!!!!! No, long guns are not legal in taxpayer-owned buildings, & that does NOT change with the new law. A cc permit does NOT affect long guns at all. In fact, it specifically says things like "firearms that are not long guns" or "handguns". So I guess that takes care of the "legal to possess" clause in her statement.

A Department of Administration spokesman said that open carry was "generally prohibited" in state buildings.
Is now. Won't be with a permit. Needs to read the law.

Rep. Brett Hulsey (D-Madison), a gun owner and hunter, said that the new policy and the possibility of open carry as well was "craziness" and would make the public less safe.
Because there have been so many problems in other states, or in WI with OC, right?

In general, the new policy will allow state employees to carry a concealed gun if they have the proper permit...
Good.
But then wait...:
State workers will have to notify their supervisor in writing that they have a permit and intend to carry a concealed weapon before doing so. The employees must keep the weapon concealed at all times "unless lawfully using the weapon," the policy says.
At least it doesn't say that the supervisor can veto it.
But wait...:
...individual state agencies will add to the interim policy for employees in the coming months.

Rep. Donna Seidel (D-Wausau), a former police officer, said Friday she was concerned about guns being carried into committee rooms, since they are sometimes packed with people who must squeeze past one another to move, increasing the chances of an accidental shooting.
:banghead:
What an idiot! If the pistol is holstered, the trigger is covered, so there's no chance of an ND.
Wonder how many NDs she's had, with an attitude like that?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP
What an idiot! If the pistol is holstered, the trigger is covered, so there's no chance of an ND.
Wonder how many NDs she's had, with an attitude like that?

No, no, no.... Don't you know if there are more than three holstered handguns in the same room the guns will get in a gunfight by themselves. They just jump out of the holster and start shooting...it's crazy......