• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Gun Rights Pamphlet Updated Again

Thundar

I think that if you conceal the fact that you are concealing and imbibe your case will find disfavor amongst jurists. That technicality may save your bacon, but not before it is subjected to the heat of the [strike]frying pan[/strike] courtroom.

Plus, let's not forget:
J1. Any person permitted to carry a concealed handgun, who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Note that there is no minimum standard for "under the influence."

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

Agree, that is why it is better to open carry in a bar, er restaurant.

TFred

An element of the crime is that you concealed upon entry then consumed the good stuff. No proof that you were concealing when you entered means no crime.
You may be right, but it's going to take your cross-examination of the arresting officer in court, "Officer did you see me enter the establishment carrying a concealed handgun?" and then relying on the officer remembering that in court, under oath is one of those special times when they aren't allowed to lie, in order for you to avoid conviction.

TFred

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
and then relying on the officer remembering that in court, under oath is one of those special times when they aren't allowed to lie, in order for you to avoid conviction.

TFred

And relying on the remote possibility that even if he remembered it would stop him from lying....

Roscoe

TFred

And relying on the remote possibility that even if he remembered it would stop him from lying....

Roscoe
Oh but we've been assured all LEOs act only with complete integrity, so if per chance one did happen to mis-speak while under oath, I'm sure it would be only a matter of forgetting where they are at the time........

;)

TFred

2a4all

You may be right, but it's going to take your cross-examination of the arresting officer in court, "Officer did you see me enter the establishment carrying a concealed handgun?" and then relying on the officer remembering that in court, under oath is one of those special times when they aren't allowed to lie, in order for you to avoid conviction.

TFred
And if s/he answered in the affirmative, how would their response be truthful?

TFred

And if s/he answered in the affirmative, how would their response be truthful?
It would be an extraordinary set of circumstances, yes, but it is possible that a LEO could have watched you walk in, and noticed that you were not openly carrying, but then later saw that you were. Not a slam dunk, especially if you had others in your party who could have been carrying the gun concealed, and might have passed it off to you after arriving.

Not at all likely, but not impossible. I would say that if a conviction under those circumstances were to ever occur, it would be pretty good proof that the system was corrupt.

TFred

Hankypanky

I could be wrong?

I took the time to update the Virginia Gun Rights folding pamphlet that has been floating around here. I believe the last version was updated by Dreamer sometime last year. A few different things passed through legislature since then.

I reversed engineered the last updated file from PDF format to Microsoft Publisher format, then converted back to a PDF. I did the best to keep the same look and style, though. Since some of the statutes have changed, some parts of the pamphlet where moved around to allow for more room for other things.

Anyway, if you see anything that needs fixing or updating, let me know.

I'm also hosting the latest version at this link:
http://carsontech.webs.com/Gun%20Laws/VA%20Gun%20Rights%20Pamphlet%209-9-2012.pdf

I attached the most recent version of the pamphlet to this post, as well:

The part about CC or OC in a bar or restaurant is wrong you can carry as long as you don't drink.:question:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The part about CC or OC in a bar or restaurant is wrong you can carry as long as you don't drink.:question:

Actually it is correct the way it is worded: "It is unlawful to drink alcohol while carrying concealed in a restaurant or club. (§18.2-308.J3)"

What remains is that it is legal (no law against it) to OC and have an adult beverage - not my recommendation, but perfectly legal.

Also there are no bars in Virginia - establishments devoted solely/primarily to alcohol sales.

Liquor by the drink is sold in restaurants who must meet the standards for food sales per ABC laws.
http://www.abc.virginia.gov/newsletter/pdf/LicSprSum2009.pdf

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Actually it is correct the way it is worded: "It is unlawful to drink alcohol while carrying concealed in a restaurant or club. (§18.2-308.J3)"

What remains is that it is legal (no law against it) to OC and have an adult beverage - not my recommendation, but perfectly legal.

I was responding only to the text in the previous post, not the contents of the pamphlet.

Also there are no bars in Virginia - establishments devoted solely/primarily to alcohol sales.

Liquor by the drink is sold in restaurants who must meet the standards for food sales per ABC laws.

A purely semantic distinction which is totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand. A rose by any other name....

Roscoe

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was responding only to the text in the previous post, not the contents of the pamphlet.

A purely semantic distinction which is totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand. A rose by any other name....

Roscoe

Look at my post and the quote again - I wasn't responding to you at all, but to Hankypanky

Words have meaning. We do try to use the correct terminology. Some state have bars and restaurants - Virginia does not.
It is also part of the legalize from the Code of Virginia and the ABC rules.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Look at my post and the quote again - I wasn't responding to you at all, but to Hankypanky

Words have meaning. We do try to use the correct terminology. Some state have bars and restaurants - Virginia does not.
It is also part of the legalize from the Code of Virginia and the ABC rules.

Point taken, my bad...

Roscoe

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Point taken, my bad... Roscoe

Nah, no bad. We all read too quickly sometimes, myself included. We're both still part of the good guy's team :D

BTW - always liked your screen name. I envision an old black and white movie where Humphry Bogart calls his gun his roscoe....and the 13 being unlucky for the bad guy.

Last edited:

2a4all

This (the bold part) is true, but the actual wording of the statute "No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises..." precludes switching from CC to OC while on the premises and then drinking. Perhaps the wording could be "The concealed carry of a handgun into a restaurant or club prohibits you from consuming alcohol while on such premises..."

TFred

This (the bold part) is true, but the actual wording of the statute "No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises..." precludes switching from CC to OC while on the premises and then drinking. Perhaps the wording could be "The concealed carry of a handgun into a restaurant or club prohibits you from consuming alcohol while on such premises..."
The section of code is a mess. What you say is true, but the opposite has been the subject of much debate: what if you OC as you enter the establishment, then as soon as you are inside the door, you CC? Technically the code does not address that.

The whole thing needs to be rewritten from scratch.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The section of code is a mess. What you say is true, but the opposite has been the subject of much debate: what if you OC as you enter the establishment, then as soon as you are inside the door, you CC? Technically the code does not address that.

The whole thing needs to be rewritten from scratch.

TFred

Nope - it needs to be rescinded - totally.

Commonwealth Attorneys as well as some other "more equal" personages can CC and have a glass of wine. We, the citizens of Virginia, should not be told we are less trust worthy.

Last edited:

TFred

Nope - it needs to be rescinded - totally.

Commonwealth Attorneys as well as some other "more equal" personages can CC and have a glass of wine. We, the citizens of Virginia, should not be told we are less trust worthy.
Well, yeah that would be the first choice... I meant if it were to be corrected to make sense and keep the original intent. :)

TFred