Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Reciprocity

  1. #1
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005

    Reciprocity

    Does anyone know why Wisconsin will not recognize a Fl permit, when they are going to accept permits from states with lesser requirements? I am not planning on going to Wisconsin, but I'm curious.
    ďIf the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? Ē -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    the list isn't finalized yet....MT was just added yesterday. I'm sure that as recip agreements are signed more states will be added.
    States donít have rights. People do.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    I can't find anything that "proves" this is the reason, but much has been said in the press about how Florida manages to issue permits to known felons and those with mental health commitment histories. Little if anything has been mentioned of what Florida has done when it was proved that a permit was issued to someone who did not meet the qualifications for it.

    Sort of like how little appears in the press about the actual percentage of permits (in any state) that are revoked for cause. It makes better headlines to say a X number were revoked than to admit that it amounts to less than 1% of the total currently valid permits.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Regular Member Rich7553's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SWFL
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I can't find anything that "proves" this is the reason, but much has been said in the press about how Florida manages to issue permits to known felons and those with mental health commitment histories. Little if anything has been mentioned of what Florida has done when it was proved that a permit was issued to someone who did not meet the qualifications for it.

    Sort of like how little appears in the press about the actual percentage of permits (in any state) that are revoked for cause. It makes better headlines to say a X number were revoked than to admit that it amounts to less than 1% of the total currently valid permits.

    stay safe.
    I believe the number I heard was 1700 or so. However, did you notice there was no statement on these licenses still being valid? I would have to assume that upon finding their mistake, Florida cancelled those licenses.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)
    _____________________________________
    Want to do something about your gun rights?
    PITCH IN, QUIT B*TCHING!

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Does anyone know why Wisconsin will not recognize a Fl permit
    Because they are dicks.

    Sorry... There wasn't anything useful going on, so I figured I'd be marginally humorous...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  6. #6
    Regular Member hammer6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Does anyone know why Wisconsin will not recognize a Fl permit, when they are going to accept permits from states with lesser requirements? I am not planning on going to Wisconsin, but I'm curious.
    click this link, and scroll down a little bit. it says that if a state follows the same background check procedures as WI, then they honor their permits. apparently FL doesn't....


    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...ealedCarry.asp
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

    it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer6 View Post
    click this link, and scroll down a little bit. it says that if a state follows the same background check procedures as WI, then they honor their permits. apparently FL doesn't....


    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...ealedCarry.asp

    Wisconsinís background check includes only two components (1) A criminal history record search; (2) A search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS). If another states background check meets the same requirements a Wisconsin resident must meet, the DOJ has recognized that state.


    No way PA met those standards...we don't have a 2 part check in place
    States donít have rights. People do.

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Wisconsinís background check includes only two components (1) A criminal history record search; (2) A search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS). If another states background check meets the same requirements a Wisconsin resident must meet, the DOJ has recognized that state.


    No way PA met those standards...we don't have a 2 part check in place
    Arbitrary and Capricious? Anyone?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    Arbitrary and Capricious? Anyone?
    Probably. but what's your point? There is nothing that says one state must recognize a concealed carry permit issued by another state.

    And there is a whole lot wrong with the current attempts in Congress to create a federal law to just that effect. Only the short-sighted are i favor of letting the feds get that camel's nose under the edge of the tent.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  10. #10
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202
    The Feds may not be able to legally mandate recognition on their terms but they certainly have the authority to nullify compacts between states.

    Cite: US Constitution. Article I. Section. 10.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Probably. but what's your point? There is nothing that says one state must recognize a concealed carry permit issued by another state.
    Just because they have no restriction against being Arbitrary and Capricious, doesn't make it acceptable. Tho, I think there is such a restriction, it has just been ignored for so long that no one considers it....

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    And there is a whole lot wrong with the current attempts in Congress to create a federal law to just that effect. Only the short-sighted are i favor of letting the feds get that camel's nose under the edge of the tent.
    Agreed.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •